• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Luck/Manning/Newton

Also the Chargers had at one time Sproles, LT (in his prime), and Michael Turner. They didn't extend Turner because it would have been absolutely insane to spend a ton of money on a number 2 RB.

What's Stewart's contract?

On the 2nd to last year on his rookie contract , which was 5 years for 14 mil. Then you extended D Will a 5 year 43 mill deal with 21 of it guaranteed. So you are almost paying your two RB's 10 mill a year.

The 49ers resigned Frank Gore to a 3 year deal for 21 mill with 13.5 guaranteed. Their number 2 back, Kendall Hunter is signed to a 4 year nearly 2.5 mill deal. So their backfield is making a little over 7.5 a year. And the 49ers a team that pounds the rock because of their shaky QB situation. The panthers at least have a QB.

I just think the panthers could have spent that money elsewhere and been in much better shape. J Stew could be a feature back and then you can find your 2nd back in the 3rd-4th rounds of the NFL draft.

Well, there's probably one year left of it. I guess the FO values DeAngelo more than JStew & will let jonathan walk. I disagree. Stewart is so good. Such a power runner who breaks at least 2 tackles every time he runs.

Well, there's probably one year left of it. I guess the FO values DeAngelo more than JStew & will let jonathan walk. I disagree. Stewart is so good. Such a power runner who breaks at least 2 tackles every time he runs.

This is exactly what I am saying. J Stew is good enough to be a feature number 1 back in this league and would cost you significantly less than DWill. If you saved that money you threw at D Will, you could have improved your LB's, DT's, CB's or Safety.

They didn't want to let D.Will go in FA in Cam's rookie year for the sake of his development. The entire focus was to give Cam as many weapons as possible. They are taking advantage of the bargain that is Cam's contract for the first 4 years. They also don't chase big FAs that they didn't draft and it is easy to restructure contracts to make cap room when you have a bunch of long time Panthers.

They're both really good. I love them both. But JStew is so much more physical. De just looks for holes and runs. Doesn't particularly break tackles

Agreed that we coulda saved our money.....JStew would be my feature guy and if anything have Dwill be my 3rd down back, yet we gave dwill top money...however, dont mind having both

They didn't want to let D.Will go in FA in Cam's rookie year for the sake of his development. The entire focus was to give Cam as many weapons as possible. They are taking advantage of the bargain that is Cam's contract for the first 4 years. They also don't chase big FAs that they didn't draft and it is easy to restructure contracts to make cap room when you have a bunch of long time Panthers.

I'm not saying you needed to go get Asom or any of the big money free agents. You guys could have used cheap bargain players like Dashon Gholdson, and Carlos Rogers. Resigning your own isn't always the way to go. Especially because your guys haven't won much lately.

Jerry Richardson is obsessed with the Steelers organization and that is their philosophy re: drafting a team and keeping your core and only adding minimal pieces in FA. Carlos Rogers is a hindsight thing as no one saw this big of a year coming from him. None of the guys we resigned were reasons for the Panthers struggles.

TUA, agree with you about not signing within because we havent won much recently.... Yet, carlos rogers, atleast had his breakout year this year and no knew that would happen...hindsight is 20/20....wish we woulda known that tho, for we need as much D as possible

Jerry Richardson is obsessed with the Steelers organization and that is their philosophy re: drafting a team and keeping your core and only adding minimal pieces in FA. Carlos Rogers is a hindsight thing as no one saw this big of a year coming from him. None of the guys we resigned were reasons for the Panthers struggles.

Not saying they were immediate problems. In a few years, you will be regretting those contracts.

CJ is just entering his prime. I don't think we will regret that one. They overpaid DWill because they had the luxury to... he comes off the books by the time they have to pay Cam.

"CJ is just entering his prime. I don't think we will regret that one. They overpaid DWill because they had the luxury to... he comes off the books by the time they have to pay Cam."

good point, although we did pay alot...getting a rookie QB two very solid TE's was not a waste...so if we spent alot of money on Dwill, but to get Olsen and Shockey then it was alright, i guess

You should NEVER spend the money that the Panthers have tied up in 2 RB's. Of the NFL playoff teams, only Cedric Benson, Rashard Mendenhall (Whom is on the IR), and Willis McGahee were 1st round picks. You can get by with mid round, values at RB if you want to win. Just look at the past couple SB champs, (GB with Starks, NO with Pierre Thomas, Pitt was using Mendenhall and Parker, Giants had Jacobs, Colts were using Addai and the scrub that ended up signing with Oakland the following year, the Pats never have a highly paid RB)

If you look across the NFL, RB's have the shortest shelf life of any position. To use two first rounders on them, and then to extend one of them to a pretty hefty contract is lunacy.

Mark Ingram was first round. Was Kevin Smith 2nd round?

Mark Ingram was first round. Was Kevin Smith 2nd round?

Mark Ingram is out for the entire playoffs and gave NO nothing this entire year. The Saints aren't where they are right now because of their run game. If you look at successful teams in the current NFL landscape, none of them spend multiple 1st rounders on RB's or spend the kind of money that the panthers are on their backfields.

Yes, the Panthers 1st ranked run game in the NFL is the reason they weren't successful.

Back