• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Luck/Manning/Newton

Yes, the Panthers 1st ranked run game in the NFL is the reason they weren't successful.

When did I say that their rush game was the reason they weren't successful? Take D'Angelo out of the equation and have some mediocre back there, you save yourself tons of money that could have been spent to improve your horrendous defense. Between J Stew, Cam and a mediocre 2nd back you would still be a top 5 rush offense.

Your 43 million dollar back had 130 more rushing yards than your QB and had a slightly less yards per attempt.

The panthers were 6-10 clearly because of their defense. With your money spent better and in wiser places, you could have improved your defense.

If the LBs and DTs hadn't been decimated with injuries the defense wouldn't have been as terrible either. They were a middle of the pack unit the year before when the Panthers went 2-14 and our offense was dead last. This year the D was 31st without any major departures, just injuries.

Your 43 million dollar back had 130 more rushing yards than your QB and had a slightly less yards per attempt.

He is a 21 million dollar back. He will never see a dime of non-guaranteed money. Spread that out over the next 2-3 years and he is cut obligation free.

Yes, the Panthers 1st ranked run game in the NFL is the reason they weren't successful.

Our run game sucked hard for the first 4 or 5 games, and then really came on for the rest of the season. With Cams ability, we have the most dynamic run game in the NFL. We have now what the Titans attempted to have with Vince Young, Chris Johnson, and Lendale White. I hope our trio has more longevity.

If the LBs and DTs hadn't been decimated with injuries the defense wouldn't have been as terrible either. They were a middle of the pack unit the year before when the Panthers went 2-14 and our offense was dead last. This year the D was 31st without any major departures, just injuries.

Take the blinders off. Your defense is bad, real bad. With Jon Beason healthy or not, the defense is below average. Without him, its among the worst in the NFL. I cannot believe any Panther fan could look at the money they have poured into the backfield, and not feel it was money not well spent.

When you have a position pretty much solidified, you don't keep adding resources to it. You start filling your holes.

Take the blinders off. Your defense is bad, real bad. With Jon Beason healthy or not, the defense is below average. Without him, its among the worst in the NFL.

What evidence do you have for your position, besides two seasons of a decimated defense? How many defensive starters do we need to have on IR before you start to reserve judgement?

Last edited:
Don't have any blinders on. The year before the defense was ranked about 15th. We didn't lose anyone significant except to injury. Since you are talking about trends, this is an offense driven league. How strong of a defense do the Saints/Pats/Pack have?

I don't know of any FA the Panthers wanted and couldn't afford. They could have had Rogers, they didn't want him because this year came from nowhere.

Everyone saying that we had the best run offense and the better offense this season adds to Cam Newtons point as well as Peyton Mannings. They had awful defenses.
They did everything in their power to win a game...and yes, peyton won a super bowl eventually...but there is doing left to be done for newton
(peyton has about three good years, however, if he can get his neck OK)

What evidence do you have for your position, besides two seasons of a decimated defense?

There is minimal talent on that side of the ball. The only talent on that side is Beason, CJ and Gamble is decent. Thomas Davis will never be healthy so to rely on him is crazy.

The secondary was in the bottom 1/4 against the pass. The defense against the run was also in the bottom 1/4.

I have nothing against the panthers. My good friend growing up is a huge panther fan. A lot of my opinions on where NFL teams should spend money and not use draft picks is personal opinion. These opinions are based on what I see as the current landscape across the NFL. The teams that have been successful recently do not spend a ton of $ in free agency, and do not pour a ton of money into the run game.

I truly believe with a run game consisting of Cam, J Stew and some mediocre back, you wouldn't miss a beat from what you saw this year.

TUA on your side of saving the money... and your comments are not against the panthers, they are realistic and should be taken in perspective....Gamble had a pro bowl year, CJ is solid and beason, when healthy is simply a beast...yet those are 3 plays on D and 3 players on D cannot win a championships...offense is almost FINE, so offseason should be built around D and maybe someone to opposite of Steve89smith....say david gettis is the answer, then he is technically the answer to our offense that already exists of Newton, Dwill, jstew, smith, lafell...so you build a Defense and there is something brewin here

Don't have any blinders on. The year before the defense was ranked about 15th. We didn't lose anyone significant except to injury. Since you are talking about trends, this is an offense driven league. How strong of a defense do the Saints/Pats/Pack have?

I don't know of any FA the Panthers wanted and couldn't afford. They could have had Rogers, they didn't want him because this year came from nowhere.

You do not have to have a strong defense. What those offenses have are shit run games and extremely potent passing games. Their defenses, while crappy vs the numbers generate a lot of turnovers. And that is the stat that matters the most defensively.

And as for your 18th ranked defense from last year, if you are using total defense then that is not a true indicator of how good you are defensively. For christ sake the Chargers were the number 1 ranked defense last year. This stat takes into account yards per game allowed. The chargers didn't allow that much because they were giving up special teams TD's like crazy. Against the pass you ranked 11th which was pretty good but you were in the bottom 3rd against the pass which needed to improve.Last year you played the NFC west in 4 games (arguably the worst division in NFL history), and 4 games against the NFC North, which had 3 of the bottom 12 offenses in the NFL.

You guys lost Richard Marshall this offseason and he has proven to be a decent CB.

Entering the season Richard Marshall=Carlos Rogers

20/20 hindsight shows something different

You do not have to have a strong defense. What those offenses have are shit run games and extremely potent passing games. Their defenses, while crappy vs the numbers generate a lot of turnovers. And that is the stat that matters the most defensively.

And as for your 18th ranked defense from last year, if you are using total defense then that is not a true indicator of how good you are defensively. For christ sake the Chargers were the number 1 ranked defense last year. This stat takes into account yards per game allowed. The chargers didn't allow that much because they were giving up special teams TD's like crazy. Against the pass you ranked 11th which was pretty good but you were in the bottom 3rd against the pass which needed to improve.Last year you played the NFC west in 4 games (arguably the worst division in NFL history), and 4 games against the NFC North, which had 3 of the bottom 12 offenses in the NFL.

You guys lost Richard Marshall this offseason and he has proven to be a decent CB.

Richard Marshall is shit. Our ST were 32nd this year and lost us a lot of game as well because our normal STers were playing in the game. And Mare was shit. Despite that terrible D and ST they were in every single game but 2 or 3 with a rookie QB. But heaven forbid we give a 28 year old pro bowler 21 million guaranteed. I'm not really interested in the back and forth anymore because no one is going to change their mind.

There is minimal talent on that side of the ball. The only talent on that side is Beason, CJ and Gamble is decent. Thomas Davis will never be healthy so to rely on him is crazy.

I don't agree with you. Carolina doesn't have any big name, FA pickup players, but they have solid talent across the board on defense that you're ignoring. I think the Panthers defensive depth shined this season, considered we were starting multiple practice players by the end of the season, especially on defense, and we still didn't finish last.

Entering the season Richard Marshall=Carlos Rogers

20/20 hindsight shows something different

Even though Carlos Rogers had a penchant for dropping picks, he always graded out as a quality cover corner. Any bad move the Redskins make, never surprises me though.

F your C, true, come to think of it, to have as horrible of a D and special teams as the Panthers had, to be in as many games with 2 quality RB's, a rookie, 1 WR, and some TE's, it was not a horrible season.
strengthen up the D and there is no big deal here, Mare will be fine

I don't agree with you. Carolina doesn't have any big name, FA pickup players, but they have solid talent across the board on defense that you're ignoring. I think the Panthers defensive depth shined this season, considered we were starting multiple practice players by the end of the season, especially on defense, and we still didn't finish last.

Their defense isn't good no matter how you slice it. It doesn't help that they play in a division with one outrageous offense and another explosive one.

Kinda similar to the deacs...good QB and WR, no defense haha..crazy comparison

The panthers were 6-10 clearly because of their defense. With your money spent better and in wiser places, you could have improved your defense.

he had 30 more attempts, average .2 less yards.

i mean, what do you do when you have a QB who can not only throw the ball well, but run the ball like a RB? of course he is going to take away carries, but as a team, we average 150.5 yds/game on the ground. that is good enough for 3rd in the league.

Back