• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland athletics continues to struggle financially, despite planned move to Big Ten

You can argue that it is however one of the things that Maryland fans like to knock on Debbie for is building too much (expanding Byrd, building the Comcast center) They are now going to spend $50-80 mill on a indoor practice facility that they don't have and are already in debt (could be more in debt if they pay the ACC $52 mill). Is that really the smartest move?

By the way, State announced they are building their indoor practice facility for $15 mill. Why is UMD's going to cost $50-80 mill?

Dude, it's private donors. It has zero to do with our debt or the AD. It's not like Anderson can take the donations and divert it to the debt if that is their specific intent. Plank (assuming he is the named donor) would rather have his name on the practice facility, rather than being responsible for paying down the debt which will be fine long-term anyways.

She never announced anything during the search. You are referring to rumors about her going after Shaka (which were true, she did offer the job and discussed it briefly in the post Gottfried hiring presser) and Gregg Marshall (nothing confirmed, just widely held belief), and Rick Barnes and Sean Miller (again, she never mentioned them).

Her comments about Williams were made after she hired Gottfried, not before.

Again, she made no communication during the hiring of Gottfried precisely because of what Fowlup did in the prior search. She cant stop the rumor mill.

Also, if Gary "sabotaged" the search, doesn't that implicitly made it pretty obvious that Gottfried wasn't one of her top choices?

man, I thought we had turned a corner with only JDawg following the #terpsignal

Well the monies being withheld ($15mm this year contributing a significant amount to this year's debt, not a surprise) would go towards whatever buyout gets withheld. Its not like you guys are gonna withhold two years of ACC payments and get $52 million on top of that. And those private funds that would be used to build the facility are project specific and no debt would be involved.

Again, its more than a indoor facility - its a team house that would house a lot of resources for all sorts of sports, the current is very old and outdated. Costs more to build up here, but I don't know why so much more - the estimate does seem high. I expect a palace for that amount.

Also a possibility it serves as a basketball facility too, I think... right?

"Your wrong.

NCSU Education!

So a $50-80 million dollar practice facility and football center isn't a luxury??? Maryland doesnt have any other practice facilities that they are using right now?

In the very near future, it'll be a necessity to compete in the major conferences. Additionally, if you can't see how a practice facility and football center are completely different from suites, then I don't know what to tell you.

NCSU Education!

In the very near future, it'll be a necessity to compete in the major conferences. Additionally, if you can't see how a practice facility and football center are completely different from suites, then I don't know what to tell you.

The new State indoor facility will cost $15 mill. The new FSU facility cost $15 million. The UVA facility cost $15 million. I can keep going. Why does Maryland need to spend $50-80 mill on a practice facility? Your not Oregon or Alabama!!!

The same argument could have been used 10 years ago for suites ("everybody is putting them in so you have to have them to compete") The aren't any different!!! The indoor practice facility is the new must have toy because every other stadium already has suites.

The new State indoor facility will cost $15 mill. The new FSU facility cost $15 million. The UVA facility cost $15 million. I can keep going. Why does Maryland need to spend $50-80 mill on a practice facility? Your not Oregon or Alabama!!!

The same argument could have been used 10 years ago for suites ("everybody is putting them in so you have to have them to compete") The aren't any different!!! The indoor practice facility is the new must have toy because every other stadium already has suites.

Because teams like Maryland and Oklahoma State that do not have the name and tradition like Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, etc. need to do something big if they want to attract the big-time recruits and become something big.

Coaches admired Yow's ambition, but not her management skills, and her shortcomings were highlighted as the top two revenue-producing sports began to struggle.

"Debbie was a polarizing figure and it had a ton of an impact on the department," said former Maryland water polo coach Carl Salyer. "I think the atmosphere within the department was that people were always on edge. The one time I was in her office was after I got hired to meet her. If you were in her office, you were in a world of hurt and everybody knew that."

At major Maryland athletic events, Yow was often seen walking briskly with her head down instead of greeting fans and schmoozing alums. She engaged in public battles with football coach Ralph Friedgen and, more notably, with men's basketball coach Gary Williams. Williams was already a nationally respected coach when Yow arrived in 1994, and it remains unclear if they ever got along in their 16 years working together. Infamously surly himself, Williams publicly implicated Yow and associate AD Kathy Worthington in a 2009 dispute over two recruits who signed elsewhere after Williams courted them.

"There were a lot of donors that turned away because they didn't like her," said Brian Burlace, a former Maryland All-America lacrosse player and prominent donor. "They didn't like the way she treated Gary Williams. I think without question she really severed a lot of relationships with donors."

In 2011, The Washington Post reported that Maryland had already used most of the $25 million from the naming rights agreement with Comcast Cable Communications Inc. The Post noted those funds will run out in 2016.

Yow's goal was to improve and expand her athletic department, but her critics say she greatly overreached.

"It seems to be common knowledge within the department that Debbie spent all of the money," said Salyer, the women's water polo coach who saw his program cut along with seven others in July. "The thought is that she knew that she was going to be out of there and she spent the money."

Yow declined to comment on Salyer's claim, but said in an email: "During the 16 years I served as Maryland's Director of Athletics, we paid down an inherited debt of $51 million to $5.5 million, paid expenses during the 16-year period using athletically-generated income secured through aggressive/creative sponsorships, enhanced fundraising initiatives and improved ticket sales, won 20 national championships, and completed several facility projects."

But when Yow left in June 2010 to become athletic director at NC State, she also left the Maryland athletic department with three significant problems: a losing football team, an underachieving basketball team and a mountain of debt.

When Kevin Anderson became Maryland's athletic director in September 2010, donors were impressed with his rich baritone voice and palpable aura of confidence. The former athletic director at Army appeared to be the leader who would energize the donor base and guide Maryland to prominence. Under his watch, Anderson claimed that Maryland athletics were going to go "from good to great."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/the_bonus/11/26/maryland-athletics/index.html#ixzz2DSDegnJ7

Additionally, didn't Debbie Yow just admit in an interview with PackPride that NCSU's AD is $51.7 million in debt?

NC State has run a budget surplus in athletics each year that DY has been there. We are servicing our debt and still running a surplus. The reason we are doing that is because OUR FANS SHOW UP TO GAMES!!!

If you cant get that through your thick turtle skull then I cant help you. Take some responsibility for your schools idiotic moves and the idiotic moves your president continue to make.

Last edited:
Because teams like Maryland and Oklahoma State that do not have the name and tradition like Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, etc. need to do something big if they want to attract the big-time recruits and become something big.

OK State has a sugar daddy called T Boone who pays for everything they build. You just admitted Plank doesn't want to pay for UMD's toys

OK State has a sugar daddy called T Boone who pays for everything they build. You just admitted Plank doesn't want to pay for UMD's toys

Read again. I said Plank wants to pay for the toys, not the debt.

I've been really good lately and haven't really replied on these issues in a while. But I really, really hate NC State.

Yeah I feel the same way about Maryland (ducks to dodge batteries). Best trade of conference realignment trading Maryland for Louisville.

Dude, it's private donors. It has zero to do with our debt or the AD. It's not like Anderson can take the donations and divert it to the debt if that is their specific intent. Plank (assuming he is the named donor) would rather have his name on the practice facility, rather than being responsible for paying down the debt which will be fine long-term anyways.

It is almost never private donors with cash in hand when ground is broken. Much of the project is usually paid for with debt that is to be paid back up receipt of pledges or other predicted funding streams. It will be debt. Maybe the donors deliver on their promises to pay it off, but maybe not. In the case of previous projects, they did not.

So when and why did young master Ward show up here? Did GoNiners tell him we just love hearing about all things to do with other North Carolina Schools?

NC State has run a budget surplus in athletics each year that DY has been there. We are servicing our debt and still running a surplus. The reason we are doing that is because OUR FANS SHOW UP TO GAMES!!!

If you cant get that through your thick turtle skull then I cant help you. Take some responsibility for your schools idiotic moves and the idiotic moves your president continue to make.

Dude, Md fans don't show up because of the bad weather. Plank will build a TerpDome and they will draw 70K (even when OSU, PSU and Michigan don't invade). Duh.

Put enough money into it and it could be sweet. Yeah, that is a great idea.

Back