• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 13: Duke Blue Devils @ LJVM - Tuesday 6:30 ACCN

#analytics hates the pull-up 18-footer for two points; the shooting percentage there is not 50% greater than it is for an in rhythm 3-point shot.

Now if Damari can head fake and get to the rim or lob to Marsh, I'm all about that

#analytics hates the pull-up 18-footer for two points; the shooting percentage there is not 50% greater than it is for an in rhythm 3-point shot.

Now if Damari can head fake and get to the rim or lob to Marsh, I'm all about that
I understand that but he needs to incorporate some variety to his shots. Merely suggesting that he might give himself a bit more space on his 3 point shots if guys have to hesitate a tiny bit on the close out. Right now every single person from the announcers to the last member of the bench knows he’s going to immediately shoot a 3 or take a dribble step back 3 if he’s contested.

I’d love to see Damari take more midrange opportunities off the shot fake. Guys are flying at him when he has the ball at the 3 pt line. He usually does the dribble step back which seems to fall less often. That shot he got at the FT line late last night was beautiful and soooo open.
I remember the exact play you are talking about, and the confidence and willingness to make that move into the lane is a FANTASTIC sign for him. Would love for him to finish one or two of those at the rim as the mid range is statistically the least efficient shot in basketball, but either way just loved seeing that play.

I remember the exact play you are talking about, and the confidence and willingness to make that move into the lane is a FANTASTIC sign for him. Would love for him to finish one or two of those at the rim as the mid range is statistically the least efficient shot in basketball, but either way just loved seeing that play.
I think he definitely has the ability. What was the game where he had the ridiculous baseline drive and reverse finish? I was like who the hell is this guy. Regardless I understand that his value is and should be as a high volume 3 pt shooter but adding a little bit of variety could really elevate his game as a scorer.

I'm fine if Damari adds a mid range shot to keep guys off guard, but if we're taking mid-range+ shots and it's Damari firing, I want him as a volume 3 point shooter for higher expected value overall.

I'm fine if Damari adds a mid range shot to keep guys off guard, but if we're taking mid-range+ shots and it's Damari firing, I want him as a volume 3 point shooter for higher expected value overall.
I think he offers a lot more than just 3 point shooting, and where he gets into trouble is by just being a 3 point shooter and forcing bad shots. If he gets his game going outside of perimeter shooting, meaning pump fakes and getting to the rim against close outs, back door cuts when his man is overplaying him on the perimeter, and driving and dishing when he can, the floor will open up for him and he'll have many more open 3s and will be way more in rhythm.

It was really startling, though it made sense in retrospect, when the announcers said he had only been to the line 4 times this season.

Not only is Marsh 7 ft but he moves exceptionally well off the block and anticipates the lob perfectly. He has a great vertical for his size and will be completely unguardable at the college level by next year.

Marsh has a pretty high ceiling. I'm not saying he's going to make it to the league. But he's a big body who already plays good defense, sets picks, rebounds well, finishes as a cutter, gets to the line, and he's a lob threat in the halfcourt off the pick-and-roll. He needs to keep getting better at those things, add a few go-to moves, and show the ability to defend mobile bigs, and switch on smaller players. Do that and he could be a prospect.

For now, he just needs to be able to play at a high level for 30 minutes a game and be an asset against smaller lineups. For other teams to go big.

^^ It makes complete sense. He never takes the ball to the basket. But props for hitting the two FTs, which were important to maintain the lead.

Marsh has a pretty high ceiling. I'm not saying he's going to make it to the league. But he's a big body who already plays good defense, sets picks, rebounds well, finishes as a cutter, gets to the line, and he's a lob threat in the halfcourt off the pick-and-roll. He needs to keep getting better at those things, add a few go-to moves, and show the ability to defend mobile bigs, and switch on smaller players. Do that and he could be a prospect.

For now, he just needs to be able to play at a high level for 30 minutes a game and be an asset against smaller lineups. For other teams to go big.
The NBA is an entirely different game than college. Zach Edey for example will do nothing in the NBA. Same with Marsh. He's different, but even a guy like Bacot just isn't suited for the NBA. That doesn't mean old school bigs or guys without jumpers can't be really, really good college players. Marsh will more than likely be here for four years, which is awesome. He'll always be limited in games against Dallas Walton type bigs that can shoot it from the perimeter or smaller bigs that can put it on the floor, but he's going to develop into an absolute force on the interior offensively once he can develop a few go-to post moves and perfect the pass out of the double.

The NBA is an entirely different game than college. Zach Edey for example will do nothing in the NBA. Same with Marsh. He's different, but even a guy like Bacot just isn't suited for the NBA. That doesn't mean old school bigs or guys without jumpers can't be really, really good college players. Marsh will more than likely be here for four years, which is awesome. He'll always be limited in games against Dallas Walton type bigs that can shoot it from the perimeter or smaller bigs that can put it on the floor, but he's going to develop into an absolute force on the interior offensively once he can develop a few go-to post moves and perfect the pass out of the double.

LOL. I know. I watch way more NBA than I do college basketball.

Do you like the NBA more now or in the 90s. I find it difficult to get into today personally with all the touch fouls on the superstars, no defense, and no ball movement

I’ll always have a fondness for the 90s NBA due to nostalgia and just how good so many big men were back then. But the NBA game is much better now for many reasons. The skill level is ridiculous. Everybody can shoot. There’s great defense and good ball movement even though so many players are basically unguardable one on one.

I’ll always have a fondness for the 90s NBA due to nostalgia and just how good so many big men were back then. But the NBA game is much better now for many reasons. The skill level is ridiculous. Everybody can shoot. There’s great defense and good ball movement even though so many players are basically unguardable one on one.
Yeah I get that. I just miss what it used to be....a bang down low, scrappy game. Now it's essentially soccer and the better the acting (hey LeBron) the more calls you get

Back