• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 14: Miami Hurricanes @ WF - 2:15 Saturday - CW Network

I get NET and think it’s better than some of the alternatives, but the idea that a team doesn’t get rewarded unless they beat their opponent by more than the expected amount is bullshit. Fix that and I’m all in. Until then, NET leaves so many angles uncovered when evaluating a team for tourney selection.

Has a ranked team ever been left out of the tournament? Seems like a viable alternative to worrying about NET. We'll be getting votes next week.

I get NET and think it’s better than some of the alternatives, but the idea that a team doesn’t get rewarded unless they beat their opponent by more than the expected amount is bullshit. Fix that and I’m all in. Until then, NET leaves so many angles uncovered when evaluating a team for tourney selection.
good teams win. Great teams cover

Has a ranked team ever been left out of the tournament? Seems like a viable alternative to worrying about NET. We'll be getting votes next week.
In 2013-14, SMU was #25 at the end of the season and was left out. They had two wins over Connecticut who went on to win the natty.

To be clear, this will help us in the NET and overall, not sure how anybody is actually arguing otherwise (and I don’t think they are, just tilting at windmills). Huge win today.

Being at the Joel today, it was one of the best atmospheres I can remember in quite some time. I was surprised to see so many fans follow the prompt and wear white. Forbes has built/is building something special here, and we’ve still got eight of these home games to go. Hard to see how it could get more exciting than today’s game, but I’m excited to see how this team keeps growing. Went back and watched the game and, specifically in the second half, we didn’t even play very well, but we kept grinding and found a way. That’s what (really) good teams do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the premise of a win being a win is wrong. If the premise was right we wouldn’t get railed for our weak OOC schedule.
W still matter. Every game has an impact on both the efficiency and resume side. Efficiency has been beaten to death, so let’s look at the impact on resume.

Q1/Q2 - it rewards teams on a sliding scale for wins. Want to see the NET really punish us? Lose a couple of those Q3/Q4 games and get penalized on both the efficiency AND resume side. W in those games basically avoid the penalty. But the very large penalty for losing those means winning matters.

There’s no “reward” on the resume side for beating bad teams. So the lesson is there’s only downside from even scheduling them — unless you beat them up so badly that it improves your efficiency ranking. And the bar gets higher the higher you move up. So I get to the same conclusion. Don’t play those games. Instead, give yourself more chances for resume boosters.

Thanks Conor and nice summary. Two other things that seemed to hurt Deacs in stretches was Efton floating to perimeter on both O and D side of court. The big man needs to be in the paint and pounding the boards when shots go up. He did it in spades at the very end of OT getting all the tips, but end of regulation he was outside way too much leaving Moore getting easy buckets and think he could have gotten even more on O side if he focused on paint and not being around 3 line. But make no mistake the big man is a diff maker and a big reason we got the W. Just think He needs some Timmy D coaching to focus on paint as he is no Jokic.

second thing is 2 fouls on Sallis looked like clear blocks as he is so long and gets up so high. And not the first game he seemingly is blocking shots but getting fouls called instead. Seems some game tape should be sent into ACC office so the refs realize he is that good on D and is able to get that high to get all ball instead of quick whistle assuming getting wrist.

Back