• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 16: L'ville @ The KFC Yum Center: Saturday 3 pm - ACCN

Yeah they do. Thus all the turnovers at UNC. I assume panic happened vs. LSU as well.
IMO, there isn’t a great ball handler on the team. Appleby is our best ball handler and he’s average at that skill set. He ran out of gas at the end of the UNC game and there was no one left to handle the ball.

On the flip side, Wake won close games against Utah Valley, Wisconsin, and App St. However, they did lose to Loyola Marymount in a close game. So that puts them 4-3 in “close games”.

Im not saying they are “mentally perfect” in close games, but they are at least putting up a fight. Whereas teams under the previous two head coaches mentally fell apart almost every time the game was close down the stretch (outside of Collins 2nd season).

Edit:
Forgot about VTech win from last week. That was a close game late.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not quite buying the "Vegas knows exactly what we are" bit. We beat the snot out of this team on the road for nearly 30 minutes, then the refs called like 6 fouls in 2 minutes on us. Over 80% of the foul calls were against us during the 10 minute comeback. We had to sit Appleby and he got banged up, we spent almost 13 minutes of the 2nd half in the bonus. What, we just suddenly forgot how to play defense?

Thankful that we handled the pressure, executed down the stretch (thank you Monsanto and Hildreth), and pulled out the win. But seriously that 2nd half was some bullshit. Totally inconsistent refs showing yet again why halves in college basketball is one of the dumbest ideas in history. We're better than the 8.5 Vegas had us pegged for in this one, in my opinion.

Appleby is certainly above average handling the ball but definitely agree with everything else regarding pressure on the ball and our ability to maintain possession.

We're roughly even on close games for sure. Fans love to look at the near hits rather than examine the near misses with them "man we were up on Clemson at the half and had UNC on the ropes in the second and if we had those we'd be ranked for sure" without the flip side App/LMU/UVU games.

Wake is top 60 in "record slightly better than metrics indicate they should be"

Yeah I'm not quite buying the "Vegas knows exactly what we are" bit. We beat the snot out of this team on the road for nearly 30 minutes, then the refs called like 6 fouls in 2 minutes on us. Over 80% of the foul calls were against us during the 10 minute comeback. We had to sit Appleby and he got banged up, we spent almost 13 minutes of the 2nd half in the bonus. What, we just suddenly forgot how to play defense?

Thankful that we handled the pressure, executed down the stretch (thank you Monsanto and Hildreth), and pulled out the win. But seriously that 2nd half was some bullshit. Totally inconsistent refs showing yet again why halves in college basketball is one of the dumbest ideas in history. We're better than the 8.5 Vegas had us pegged for in this one, in my opinion.
I think this largely balances out over the season too though. We were up by 20+ because we hit a lot of threes and Louisville missed a lot. Sure fouls were slightly out of balance and that aided Louisville, but they missed a ton of those free throws anyway and then just came back by making a lot of shots in a row.

I think this largely balances out over the season too though. We were up by 20+ because we hit a lot of threes and Louisville missed a lot. Sure fouls were slightly out of balance and that aided Louisville, but they missed a ton of those free throws anyway and then just came back by making a lot of shots in a row.

Strange foul calls that put Appleby on the bench for a big chunk of the second half while Louisville made their run really helped the comeback.

Love the win. IMHO we are one player away from being a really good team. We have got to have one of the worst inside presence in the conf. Not going to call names but we have one guy whose only talent is dunking, one guy who is weak and is worthless unless he is making threes and one guy who is simply terrible. We gave up 14 offensive rebounds and that is a good reason for Louisville's comeback. Our perimeter play one the game today despite a terrible showing by our big men.

It was a win.

Louisville stayed in the game using a 16-3 advantage on 2nd chance points, a homecourt whistle and timely shooting by Mike James and El Ellis to whittle a 22 point Wake lead down to 3 points with 2:40 left in the game. From there, Damari hit two 3's, Davien hit 2 free throws and Ty hit 2 from the line to stretch the lead back to eight and the win.

Damari with 21 and Cam with 18 to lead the Deacon scoring. Marsh and Hildreth lead with 8 rebounds each. Ty had 8 assists.

Louisville used a 23-5 run from 7:22 to 2:40 in the second half to excite their fans and make it a game. The Deacs outscored them 75-49 over the other 35 minutes and closed it out when it mattered. This was a decent effort, despite the optics.

Last edited:
This game really highlighted Wake's lack of another true point guard capable of playing.

Love the win. IMHO we are one player away from being a really good team. We have got to have one of the worst inside presence in the conf. Not going to call names but we have one guy whose only talent is dunking, one guy who is weak and is worthless unless he is making threes and one guy who is simply terrible. We gave up 14 offensive rebounds and that is a good reason for Louisville's comeback. Our perimeter play one the game today despite a terrible showing by our big men.
I hear you overall, but I’m assuming the “one who can only dunk” is Marsh who had 8 rebounds today.

Yeah Marsh can do a better job boxing out but at least he snags boards. I'm up to here with Bradford who doesn't appear to have an offensive skill set, doesn't box out very well, and is only solid on a defensive front when it's a physical back to the basket offensive player leaning in - too slow on either side to win on a lateral contest

I hear you overall, but I’m assuming the “one who can only dunk” is Marsh who had 8 rebounds today.

Marsh has pretty good strong hands. He gets rebounds and keeps them. Needs to improve defensive footwork.

Yeah Marsh can do a better job boxing out but at least he snags boards. I'm up to here with Bradford who doesn't appear to have an offensive skill set, doesn't box out very well, and is only solid on a defensive front when it's a physical back to the basket offensive player leaning in - too slow on either side to win on a lateral contest
Agree.

Marsh has taken a giant step forward this season, but needs to improve on his footwork. He should develop into a solid post player and has a bright future at Wake.

I too have not seen anything positive, offensively or defensively, from Bradford. I would not miss him if he decides to transfer.

Damari still takes plenty of bad shots and makes silly mistakes but he is really starting to figure shit out I think.

Damari still takes plenty of bad shots and makes silly mistakes but he is really starting to figure shit out I think.
21 points on 16 shots and a 123 offensive rating is a solid game for that usage level. A couple of the times he went 3 for 2 were smart plays (and about the only time I'm ever interested in a mid range jumper: because it specifically was a contested shot you gave up which realistically has a lower expected value outside)

Back