• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 16: L'ville @ The KFC Yum Center: Saturday 3 pm - ACCN

Nice bounceback game by Hildreth.

Good to see Monsanto playing at such a high level.

Chris Spatola is a homer and an idiot for joining the Kryzewski family. Spend your entire life around asshats.

Love the win. IMHO we are one player away from being a really good team. We have got to have one of the worst inside presence in the conf. Not going to call names but we have one guy whose only talent is dunking, one guy who is weak and is worthless unless he is making threes and one guy who is simply terrible. We gave up 14 offensive rebounds and that is a good reason for Louisville's comeback. Our perimeter play one the game today despite a terrible showing by our big men.
Only 5 of those ORs were in the second half, though. They were not a big factor in the comeback

This was the first conference game defensive rebounding was a problem — and a lot of those in the first half seemed to come off airballs or bad misses. We are 5th in the ACC in DR% in conference games and that’s in line with what our season to date would indicate we should be, so I’m not worried there.

Where I’m incredibly worried, and the main reason we may not actually be better than our computer rankings say we are — is we can’t stop teams when they’re shooting 2s. We are 14th, 57% against. And this goes hand in hand with zero shot blocking. We block just 4.5% of ACC opponent attempts, last in conference play.

This is why our defense is 138th and holding us back. This is the biggest difference versus last year’s team (#1 in ACC games at 46% against from 2). And it’s different from pretty most of Forbes prior teams — leading me to believe it’s more talent than scheme. And to make up for it — we are scrambling to keep teams from shooting 2s, with our opponents shooting over 43% of attempts against us from 3 on the year. 327th (near the top in 3A/FGA) in the country.

Announcers feel they need to constantly fill up the air time. Very annoying. Monsanto was great today as was Cam and Williamson and Appleby very solid. Carr had a bit of a rough game hope he starts hitting some threes. Bradford is very slow defensively and boxing out. Klintman didnt have a good box out on a free throw which let to a basket and foul. He will greatly benefit from a year under Forbes. Also liked out zone defense to mix it up. Good win and great seeing Manning losing for another team.

I agree with whoever said we are just one good player away. Had some really nice moments today and some other not so nice ones

So what is up with Zach Keller?
No PT since before XMas.

So what is up with Zach Keller?
No PT since before XMas.
same reason lucas taylor isn’t playing, apparently not good enough.

maybe that will change given how poor bradford has been. but it’s a pretty safe assumption he’s not very good at this point.

Yeah Marsh can do a better job boxing out but at least he snags boards. I'm up to here with Bradford who doesn't appear to have an offensive skill set, doesn't box out very well, and is only solid on a defensive front when it's a physical back to the basket offensive player leaning in - too slow on either side to win on a lateral contest
We do not know whether or not Bradford has an offensive skill set because the team never throws him the ball for an attempt at a back to the basket move. He did make a good move against Bacot and scored with his left hand against UNC. Hopefully, Forbes will insist on running a few plays for the inside players to at least draw the defense inside so that the Deacs are not totally reliant on the 3. The old adage is true, "live by the 3, die by the 3".

Yeah Marsh can do a better job boxing out but at least he snags boards. I'm up to here with Bradford who doesn't appear to have an offensive skill set, doesn't box out very well, and is only solid on a defensive front when it's a physical back to the basket offensive player leaning in - too slow on either side to win on a lateral contest
The best thing about Bradford are the chuckles I get watching him run up and down the court.

We do not know whether or not Bradford has an offensive skill set because the team never throws him the ball for an attempt at a back to the basket move. He did make a good move against Bacot and scored with his left hand against UNC. Hopefully, Forbes will insist on running a few plays for the inside players to at least draw the defense inside so that the Deacs are not totally reliant on the 3. The old adage is true, "live by the 3, die by the 3".
I think the fact that he doesn't get the ball thrown to him in 13 minutes is a pretty solid indicator of whether or not he has an actual skill set not or not but YMMV

I think the fact that he doesn't get the ball thrown to him in 13 minutes is a pretty solid indicator of whether or not he has an actual skill set not or not but YMMV
Also I think someone did toss him the ball in our third game of the year. He appears to be about 75% of the way through his post move towards the basket right now. I think another month or so and we'll see if he's able to finish it at the rim.

We did play a defensive scheme that we never play today. That could have impacted rebounding quite a bit.

We did play a defensive scheme that we never play today. That could have impacted rebounding quite a bit.
Yeah the first half 1-3-1 was super effective and certainly contributing to why we missed out some boards on the defensive glass. I was more disappointed in the second half when we had settled back to mainly man and were really whiffing.

same reason lucas taylor isn’t playing, apparently not good enough.

maybe that will change given how poor bradford has been. but it’s a pretty safe assumption he’s not very good at this point.
I think Keller has a base set that we can build on and it will take time. Whether or not the transfer clock hits before we get there remains to be seen but I think there's something there.

Yeah. Keller is your typical freshman big who isn't ready to contribute. He'll be a good reliable rotation player next year.

THREE of our guys under the basket and the Louisville guy takes the rebound with no problem!!!!! If I'm Forbes, I break a chair over that shit!
THREE of our guys under the basket and the Louisville guy takes the rebound with no problem!!!!! If I'm Forbes, I break a chair over that shit!
Interesting.

Back