• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: Florida State @ LJVM - Wednesday 9 pm - ACCN

Yeah, not quite as explosive.

Though he did have that throw down on McCray's head pre-season before last year. He just has to load up. That rejection at Clemson was brutal, though.

Yeah it seems like with every game Cam gets a little better at recognizing when he has an angle or has gotten a shoulder past his guy - and it's definitely looking more ManMan-esque how he maintains contact/physicality all the way to the bucket. He may not be throwing it down but he's quick enough to the rim that he's starting to beat taller guys even when it looks like they might have him timed up.

Basically it's the opposite of what Bobi did when he had that great back door cut and what looked like an open dunk, only to get completely stuffed late in the game. I remember a scout telling me that high school is about whether or not you can dunk, real basketball is about how fast you get the ball to the rim because there's almost always someone around capable of blocking you unless you're over 7 feet tall.

The back downs are like the slow mesh in football: they're unique, they're incredibly effective, and for some reason, a portion of our fanbase hates them.
The back down has gone out of fashion after the widespread use of the three point shot. Used to be the closer the shot, the better the shot.

Back downs are one way to get really close, close enough that it's a good shot again.

I'm not arguing against the efficacy of the back down (and I like the slow mesh!), I just don't like how it looks. Love Cam. The fact it drives others crazy might be enough for me to start embracing it.

I know it drives opposing fans crazy. Any time I've watched a Wake game with others this year, I've gotten an earful of comments about Cam's old man at the YMCA game.

But that's what scorers do. They get buckets.

I thought Laravia had an old man game... Cam takes it to another level.

I know it drives opposing fans crazy. Any time I've watched a Wake game with others this year, I've gotten an earful of comments about Cam's old man at the YMCA game.

But that's what scorers do. They get buckets.

I thought Laravia had an old man game... Cam takes it to another level.
For some reason, think Cam's game drives a lot of our own fans crazy, even though it's effective. It's like the slow mesh. People dismiss all things different and unorthodox, even though it helps win games. Weird to me how people want everything to be the same. Variety is the spice of life!

Honestly, the move that is most frustrating to me is when Carr pump fakes from 3 and then drives baseline into 2-3 bigs just waiting for him underneath the hoop. Carr is crafty and can score in there, but often times it feels like he's just going to turn it over or not be strong enough to finish.

I realize he had a great game, but he made that move at least 4 times in the 2nd half and scored once.

For some reason, think Cam's game drives a lot of our own fans crazy, even though it's effective. It's like the slow mesh. People dismiss all things different and unorthodox, even though it helps win games. Weird to me how people want everything to be the same. Variety is the spice of life!
Yeah. Cam has a great feel for when his defender leans to one side while getting backed down. Then Cam has a quick spin to the opposite side for a layup behind the defender's back.

Honestly, the move that is most frustrating to me is when Carr pump fakes from 3 and then drives baseline into 2-3 bigs just waiting for him underneath the hoop. Carr is crafty and can score in there, but often times it feels like he's just going to turn it over or not be strong enough to finish.

I realize he had a great game, but he made that move at least 4 times in the 2nd half and scored once.
I think the one he scored on was ridiculous too - he had it batted away after several pivots, then regathered the ball and hit an up-and-under.

Does anyone know of a way to watch this? I’ve tried to dig it up several times over the years, and can’t find it anywhere. All I’ve come across are a couple of short clips on YouTube (just found the Skip “I’ll see you on the quad at midnight” speech - I’m not crying, you’re crying…).

Would love to find the full show, if I recall I am on camera for about 30 seconds, talking about how we ran the camp outs (pretty sure it was filmed the night before our game against UNC), and is something I would now love to see again and show my kids. Surely this has to exist in some archive somewhere?
Have been looking for an hour and would also like to show my kids. Nothing yet.

Cam is a great player and glad he is on our team. honestly, he might be the most important player on the team...he does everything!

those that don't see his impact are just not looking at what he contributes (full boxscore). ffs last i checked he is our leading rebounder!
Appleby clearly mvp of team. He’s amazing. Then Monsanto, who can be beyond amazing when he’s hot. Then Cam.

The back down has gone out of fashion after the widespread use of the three point shot. Used to be the closer the shot, the better the shot.
It’s ok if the back downer will kick it out to a 3 point shooter when the inside shot isn’t there. Seems to be part of the strategy with Hildreth and Carr.

Couldn’t watch the game live the other night, just went through some of it now. I’m not generally one to be too bothered by announcers - but holy shit, Cory Alexander…is he always like this? All he did was talk about himself, his career, him in high school, how he got drafted, blah blah blah. Never heard someone call a game and make so much of the broadcast about themselves. Insufferable.

Yes.

Did Odom recruit Cory Alexander? That would have been a very nice backcourt.

Back