• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 2: @ UGA - 7pm Friday - SEC Network

The problem with WFU basketball is we (and I include me in this) have to do a ton of mental gymnastics just to conclude we might be/could be/are almost good. We live 1-2 more good players or less bad plays away from "being good."

Maybe it's that stupid, repetitive Jersey Mike's commercial (which has inexplicably fucked up my vibe; I cannot adequately describe how much I hate it), but it just seems exhausting to hitch your emotional wagon to WFU basketball. ManMan pulled me back in, but I've been slipping ever since. I watched this entire game, had moments of excitement, and moments of boredom and despair. But at the end, I'm just sort of tired.

Excellent post and I concur with these points. I attended the International Leadership Circle this evening on campus. The first two hours were cocktails, Dr. Wente and Currie providing a great review of the program and NIL. God bless them as I see they are doing great work.

The UGA game was then shown on a big screen while dinner was served and people seemed more interested in their salads and the beef tenderloin. It just doesn't seem to have that vibe.... currently. I HOPE that it changes. I'm just reporting from the "field". I don't know if it's a college basketball thing or our program specifically. But, we're not talking about a room full of fair-weather fans.

Keller will need to have one heck of a career to make up for that play.
That was one of the weirdest things I’ve seen. He just stood there, like he forgot where he was and why he was there???

I felt that this game was spookily similar to last week’s football game. A few inexplicable lack of effort/awareness/understanding plays away from winning the game. Easily could have won both games, but really didn’t deserve to win either.

The three separate plays in the 2nd half where our 4 non-rebounding defenders got beat to the ball by the one guy UGA sent to the boards, who passed the ball out to a 3 point shooter after the 2nd offensive rebound of the possession, who drained the 3. That shouldn’t happen once, much less three times in 10 minutes. Diving on the floor for a loose ball seems like a foreign concept to everyone on the team except Cam. That too needs to be rectified.

It was 100% about effort on rebounding, defense, loose balls. This team can be good with consistent effort, and limiting Marsh and Keller to no more than 12 minutes per game. Hoping for better in Charleston.

I felt that this game was spookily similar to last week’s football game. A few inexplicable lack of effort/awareness/understanding plays away from winning the game. Easily could have won both games, but really didn’t deserve to win either.

The three separate plays in the 2nd half where our 4 non-rebounding defenders got beat to the ball by the one guy UGA sent to the boards, who passed the ball out to a 3 point shooter after the 2nd offensive rebound of the possession, who drained the 3. That shouldn’t happen once, much less three times in 10 minutes. Diving on the floor for a loose ball seems like a foreign concept to everyone on the team except Cam. That too needs to be rectified.

It was 100% about effort on rebounding, defense, loose balls. This team can be good with consistent effort, and limiting Marsh and Keller to no more than 12 minutes per game. Hoping for better in Charleston.
Had the same feeling. Maybe it was the Griffis like oopsie daisy turnovers as soon as we get momentum? Tough loss.
Beat Utah, hang tough with Houston, win 3rd place game, beat ChSo and Florida and we are still above water

Boopie had 22 points and 7 assists. Pleasantly surprised by that assist number after reading the comments here after the Elon game.

Cam disappeared for long stretches after asserting himself early.

Agreed that Carr sitting on the bench with foul trouble is when the game slipped away.

Not sure what to make of Sallis but thought he shot too many 3s.

Cam and Sallis without their best stuff. Carr with foul trouble. We still fight to keep it tight. I'm ok with that. Some days go like that. On to the next one

The back to back UGA long range bricks and subsequent rebound and layup was such a bad look. The WF defensive rebounding has to improve. I was happy to see the kids fight their way back into it for the 2nd game in row after being down double digits. We need Gov Cooper to contact the NCAA about that Reid waiver, like he did for Tez. Anybody got a connection?

The problem with WFU basketball is we (and I include me in this) have to do a ton of mental gymnastics just to conclude we might be/could be/are almost good. We live 1-2 more good players or less bad plays away from "being good."

Maybe it's that stupid, repetitive Jersey Mike's commercial (which has inexplicably fucked up my vibe; I cannot adequately describe how much I hate it), but it just seems exhausting to hitch your emotional wagon to WFU basketball. ManMan pulled me back in, but I've been slipping ever since. I watched this entire game, had moments of excitement, and moments of boredom and despair. But at the end, I'm just sort of tired.
This.

The Keller play looked awful, and really it WAS awful, but I at least think what he was trying to do was get the ball back without diving after it and knocking it out of bounds. I'm sure he thought he could kinda box out his man while he collected it, but it's D1 college basketball and the guy sprinted around him and was off. Hopefully lesson learned.

Sallis looked gassed to me on multiple occasions and the lift on his jumper looked tired. Have to think it's still the ankle - almost looked like he came out with it freshly wrapped in the 2nd half, hit that great bucket when he just went over everyone else, but reality set in and he missed like 6 of his last 7 shots down the stretch. That Thomasson dude was the real difference maker (21 against us, 6 against Oregon), and we came out with Sallis guarding the slower Menendez guy instead of him. If you watch the 2nd possession of the game it's a delayed break off Boopie's miss, Thomasson goes by Sallis like he's standing in concrete for a layup. Not 100% by any means, still played a ton of minutes and gave it all he had.

I thought Forbes did a pretty great job of manufacturing that comeback - hard post doubles out of nowhere, they hit the first 3 against our zone but took a few bad outside shots after that. Really did a nice job bouncing Marsh in and out of the game to mirror Tchewa (who only managed 1 offensive board). Carr picked up his 4th with 15 minutes to go in the game and still had 18/8 even though it meant some Keller minutes, and Carr had a good look to tie it on the last possession but looked like it slipped a bit out of his hand. Looked like we tried to hide Sallis for a while but then had to put him on Abdur-Rahim out of necessity.

On the plus side, Boopie looked fantastic. Carr rock solid. Marion hit a 3 and had 8 boards, just glides to rebounds as well as anyone we've had in the past decade. You look at this team and it's hard not to think we're short one effective big man and one shooter with size...

The Keller play looked awful, and really it WAS awful, but I at least think what he was trying to do was get the ball back without diving after it and knocking it out of bounds. I'm sure he thought he could kinda box out his man while he collected it, but it's D1 college basketball and the guy sprinted around him and was off. Hopefully lesson learned.

Sallis looked gassed to me on multiple occasions and the lift on his jumper looked tired. Have to think it's still the ankle - almost looked like he came out with it freshly wrapped in the 2nd half, hit that great bucket when he just went over everyone else, but reality set in and he missed like 6 of his last 7 shots down the stretch. That Thomasson dude was the real difference maker (21 against us, 6 against Oregon), and we came out with Sallis guarding the slower Menendez guy instead of him. If you watch the 2nd possession of the game it's a delayed break off Boopie's miss, Thomasson goes by Sallis like he's standing in concrete for a layup. Not 100% by any means, still played a ton of minutes and gave it all he had.

I thought Forbes did a pretty great job of manufacturing that comeback - hard post doubles out of nowhere, they hit the first 3 against our zone but took a few bad outside shots after that. Really did a nice job bouncing Marsh in and out of the game to mirror Tchewa (who only managed 1 offensive board). Carr picked up his 4th with 15 minutes to go in the game and still had 18/8 even though it meant some Keller minutes, and Carr had a good look to tie it on the last possession but looked like it slipped a bit out of his hand. Looked like we tried to hide Sallis for a while but then had to put him on Abdur-Rahim out of necessity.

On the plus side, Boopie looked fantastic. Carr rock solid. Marion hit a 3 and had 8 boards, just glides to rebounds as well as anyone we've had in the past decade. You look at this team and it's hard not to think we're short one effective big man and one shooter with size...
This is pretty much it. It really seems to hinge on Efton for me i think we have enough shooters. But like Kent said we’ve been a guy or a call or an injury away for years now and it never seems to come together. So close yet so far.

Without Efton i don’t think it’ll be much of a season - we’ll have moments but don’t think we’re sniffing NCAA

I hope taking the “nice” approach with the NCAA is the correct method. I would prefer a more aggressive and public campaign similar to UNC perhaps coupled with a lawsuit to gain Reid’s eligibility pending the outcome of the litigation. The NCAA is a POS organization but they are also a bully. Sometimes bullies only respond to an aggressive response. The NCAA and its corrupt leadership are solely responsible for the NIL disaster. I hope WF is taking the right approach. I guess we will know soon.

Back