• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 21: @ Pitt - Wednesday - 7 pm - ACCN

Forbes was very dismissive when asked last night about Keller getting minutes. He doesn't seem to like being questioned about playing time, but it is hard as fan to not continuously looking at the scorer's table last night hoping to see #30 coming back in.
As much as I like Coach, this is an area where I think questions are warranted. He also was the Coach that regularly was starting both Bradford and Taylor to find them on the bench for the final 38 minutes of the game.

When Keller came in I thought Bradford must've been hurt, then he came in and played a lot (to his credit he was solid in his time there minus the free throw miss).

I actually think Forbes substitutions and game to game roster management are some of his better traits as a coach. I trust what he was doing, but any close loss is going to cause scrutiny.
I’m cool with him playing guys he thinks are going to help us win but didn’t understand what he was trying to achieve last night. Tough to throw in a guy who hasn’t played meaningful minutes in more than 6 weeks and expect him to be super effective in a crucial game, especially as a freshman. Why not just go with Carr there?

between this game and the ACCCG last year one thing is for certain: what in the fuck was Pitt thinking going away from that puffy logo and color scheme for the boring as shit gold and navy look they had in the 2000s? what they had then/have now is a million times better.

between this game and the ACCCG last year one thing is for certain: what in the fuck was Pitt thinking going away from that puffy logo and color scheme for the boring as shit gold and navy look they had in the 2000s? what they had then/have now is a million times better.
I agree. I hate PITT, after dealing with their fans at the ACCCG, but their logo and colors are great.

I agree. I hate PITT, after dealing with their fans at the ACCCG, but their logo and colors are great.
yep same way. I had nothing against Pitt prior to last season...again probably because of the boring ass old colors. But then last season I developed an irrational hatred for Pickett since he was getting what seemed like way more hype than Sam, and then he affirmed my hatred with that goddamn fake slide, and their fucking fans. Fuck Pitt. But yeah they've got some bangin' merch.

At the end of Forbes' presser he gets a question about Keller that he kind of mumbles something and shuts down (I think he hates questions about the center position this year and "who is/isn't playing" questions -- snapped at someone earlier asking a perfectly legit question about Ituka). Can anyone make it out? Seems like maybe "just thought he could help us," or something, but couldn't tell.

I heard the same thing as you.

Daivien shot over 50% from deep and is better getting over screens than Monsanto.

Carr, Cam, and Tyree are the fixtures of this team. Everyone else is a juggling act of matchups and effort.

Also, Forbes is a sneaky metrics guy in-game, and it’s not like he’s the one tracking stats. His staff is extremely good and he delegates to them. Keller got 6 minutes and had two boards, a bucket, and a nice assist. I’m guessing he didn’t answer because he wasn’t the catalyst for those minutes, despite them being good ones.

The 5 position isn't strong enough to worry much about who gets the minutes. The big issue yesterday was sitting Monsanto for so long in the 1st half when he only had 1 foul and we knew this was going to be a 3 point shooting contest. Then sitting him out until the last possession with 4 fouls.

I've been arguing since Dino took AFA out of the Kentucky blowout that "foul trouble" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a coach is scared that fouls are going to take a player out of the game, the solution isn't taking the player out of the game.

The 5 position isn't strong enough to worry much about who gets the minutes. The big issue yesterday was sitting Monsanto for so long in the 1st half when he only had 1 foul and we knew this was going to be a 3 point shooting contest. Then sitting him out until the last possession with 4 fouls.

I've been arguing since Dino took AFA out of the Kentucky blowout that "foul trouble" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a coach is scared that fouls are going to take a player out of the game, the solution isn't taking the player out of the game.

Agree that there are situations when you play the guy with foul trouble anyway, otherwise you are just penalizing yourself.

However, Monsanto had 4 fouls in 13 minutes last night. Not sure that's why he didn't play, but he didn't help his cause by fouling pretty much as soon as he got on the court each time.

This year, Forbes is 136th in "2-Foul Participation"... 24.3% vs. D1 average of 21.5%. Last year, he was 118th... 26% vs. 21.2%. So slightly more apt to play guys than average.

Manning was way worse with the 2 foul stuff. For comparison, he was 11% (257), 15.6% (210), 15.4% (199), 10.2% (253), 9% (289), 15% (232). Yet another example of how he was a shitty coach (and underused Collins, who used to get 2 quickies with regularity before returning to the bench - never to be seen again).

Man, we are a decent big man away from being pretty damn good. I hate saying this, but Marsh has regressed and Bradford just isn’t an ACC talent. So many missed rebounds being slapped around and so many bunnies that shouldn’t be missed. Oh and FTs down the stretch. Motherfuck!
Everyone keeps knocking Bradford but over the last couple of games he has actually scored several times with back to the basket moves. I believe that he can provide more inside offense if given the opportunity. I do agree that he is a liability in late game situations when he goes to the free throw line. I do not understand why Forbes did not replace him with Monsanto in the final 2-3 minutes of last night's game.

Last edited:
The path to the tournament stays the same as I see it (not easy, but doable):

1. Win all remaining home games
2. Beat ND
3. Beat one of State, Duke, Miami, or Cuse on the road.

For every game in category 1 we lose, we need to win one more in category 3.

Each road loss narrows the pool in category 3 as well.

Perimeter defense has to get better or this is all a moot point. I will say, that despite our terrible defense, Pitt had a sensational shooting night. You don't make 18 3's against anybody unless you're on absolute fire and take a lot of them. Pitt obviously was hot and took 37.
4. win the acc tournament

He was 2-5 in 13 minutes of action. The expectation was he would play ~30 mins and that would have been an easy bet if true. I still am confused as to why he let him sit for 13 minutes with 4 fouls to only bring him in for the final 6 seconds.
You may break your brain if you keep thinking about it.

i'm with you
paul westhead left bo kimble in a first round ncaa tournament (vs NMSU) game after he picked up his fourth foul with five minutes to go in the first half.
"That's my style," Westhead said of leaving Kimble in the game. "And, as you know, I've been fired from a few places. Bo said their players were saying, 'Your coach is one crazy dude.' "

kimble scored 33 pts in second half

Still in disbelief that we probably would have won despite everything if (i) they made the correct call on that ridiculous charge when Hildreth drove the lane and hit that bucket and (ii) if he hadn’t clanked those free throws.
Also, another terrible non-call was when Appleby got the rebound on the missed free throw and the Pitt player knocked him out of bounds. This was at a critical point in the game.

Pitt fans are absolute garbage. Multiple drunk assholes tried to start fights with us at the ACCCG. Several yelled “fuck you” as we walked by just because we had Wake shirts on. Absolute trash.
these people are proud to have their awful hero QB replace one of the worst people in NFL history

Everyone keeps knocking Bradford but over the last couple of games he has actually scored with back to the basket moves. I believe there he can provide more inside offense if given the opportunity. I do agree that he is a liability in late game situations when he goes to the free throw line. I do not understand why Forbes did not replace him with Monsanto in the final 2-3 minutes of last night's game.
Drove me nuts. He owned that 98lb weakling and our guys ignored him several times when he had great position and had scored more than once from that same spot.

Also, another terrible non-call was when Appleby got the rebound on the missed free throw and the Pitt player knocked him out of bounds. This was at a critical point in the game.
The reffing was terrible as usual down the stretch - I don't want to minimize the impact (the Cam charge was complete and utter horseshit), but it is hard for us to be overly critical there given we missed timely free throws and allowed 18 3's.

Again, I understand both can be true, and they were.

Back