• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 21: @ Pitt - Wednesday - 7 pm - ACCN

I didn’t think Monsanto got pulled because of foul trouble. I thought Monsanto was putting guys in bad positions defensively, and that both reduced his minutes and led to his foul trouble later.

I don’t know about you guys, but I just cannot seriously see @Duke on the schedule and even consider that a possible win.
I’ve literally never seen it as a Wake fan.

Agree that there are situations when you play the guy with foul trouble anyway, otherwise you are just penalizing yourself.

However, Monsanto had 4 fouls in 13 minutes last night. Not sure that's why he didn't play, but he didn't help his cause by fouling pretty much as soon as he got on the court each time.

This year, Forbes is 136th in "2-Foul Participation"... 24.3% vs. D1 average of 21.5%. Last year, he was 118th... 26% vs. 21.2%. So slightly more apt to play guys than average.

Manning was way worse with the 2 foul stuff. For comparison, he was 11% (257), 15.6% (210), 15.4% (199), 10.2% (253), 9% (289), 15% (232). Yet another example of how he was a shitty coach (and underused Collins, who used to get 2 quickies with regularity before returning to the bench - never to be seen again).
lol I sort of forgot that aspect about Manning. That was maddening.

Anyone remember Simon Beard for WFU soccer in the late 80's? Probably not. Anyway, he had this sort of signature move that was like a hesitation scissor-step (my description) when carrying the ball down the left sideline.

Looks like Cam has adopted that in recent games. Must be a British thing.
Wow. that's a name from the past! remember him/it well. for a big guy, he could take some small/quick steps.

Cam's missed FTs and Ty's well guarded 3 at the end are interesting to write about, but unrelated to losing this game. we lost this game in the first 8 min. Pitt made 6/7 completely uncontested 3s and blew the game open to a 15pt lead.
1. you are not going to come back from very many 15 pt deficits on the road.
2. giving up 81 pts is not a recipe for victory in college basketball.

if we cant guard 3pt shooters (gave up 33 makes in 2 games) we really don't deserve to by playing for a national championship. And its a shame. I believe the talent is there.

think our zone was effective and a good change that their offense did not respond well to. Not sure why we don't play it more often.

think our zone was effective and a good change that their offense did not respond well to. Not sure why we don't play it more often.

FSU and UVA both hit wide open 3's in about 10 seconds right in front of Forbes and that was that

we made our run when playing zone and got more stops then man to man that is for sure.

it's gimmicky and there are holes and a well-coached team knows exactly how to get open looks against it. so it works better in short bursts, but if you run it for a while you better hope their shooters have an off day

FWIW, Duke is 4-0 at home in ACC play (10-0 overall). They are 1-4 on the road (a 1 point win at BC). Like a lot of young teams, Duke is a completely different team at home and on the road.

FWIW, Duke is 4-0 at home in ACC play (10-0 overall). They are 1-4 on the road (a 1 point win at BC). Like a lot of young teams, Duke is a completely different team at home and on the road.

As we saw last night, teams are tough to beat when they hit 18 3s.

So against Duke, we'll just need to hit 20.

They'll probably kill us inside, but I actually think Duke is team we match up well against.

Yep. We last won there Timmy’s senior year when I was in 8th grade. I turn 40 this year.
I was in my mid-20's, not married yet and could get up off the floor without groaning. I'm double that age, been married for almost a quarter century and groan everytime I get up from the floor now.

He was 2-5 in 13 minutes of action. The expectation was he would play ~30 mins and that would have been an easy bet if true. I still am confused as to why he let him sit for 13 minutes with 4 fouls to only bring him in for the final 6 seconds.
And 8 mins in the first half with one foul. Forbes just wastes the best shooter in the ACC in many games. It’s getting old. Monsanto shot us back into the UVA game after sitting 8 mins in the first half for no reason. Monsanto ought to transfer to a coach who appreciates his talents. Monsanto might turn out to be KWIII 2.0.

And 8 mins in the first half with one foul. Forbes just wastes the best shooter in the ACC in many games. It’s getting old. Monsanto shot us back into the UVA game after sitting 8 mins in the first half for no reason. Monsanto ought to transfer to a coach who appreciates his talents. Monsanto might turn out to be KWIII 2.0.
Monsanto played a season high 34 minutes against UVA.

So many opinions so little time.

Monsanto is playing a ton of minutes and he followed Forbes here from ETSU

Monsanto sat for 4:38 in the first half and 1:10 of the second half vs. UVA (Forbes timed his rest around the U12 timeout to maximize the rest)

I think it was prob a combo of things, but Monsanto also tweaked something there and was getting attention from the trainer for a bit.

I forget which half that even was now, though.

You've got zero knowledge of the reason he sat.

Frustrating for sure. I guess at least you're shitting on the adult in the room rather than the college kid.

Back