• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: @ GT -- Tuesday 7 pm -- ESPNU

For S&G, Wake is 17th in JUST home games (12-0), 116.8 and 96.5 defensive.
Maybe the NCAA will let us in the tournament and play all of our games at the Joel as compensation for taking so long to let Efton play.:devilish:

Statement game tonight. Deacs go bell to bell on the road in Atlanta and put together two solid halves on the road.

Is what I said before the FSU game. And the NCSU game. And the Pittsburgh game.

AND IT'S WHAT I'M SAYING AGAIN TONIGHT!!!

Deacs roll by 15+ and I maybe get my kids out of McCamish and on the way home before 9pm.

Not a lot to say about tonight - we're going to essentially prove who we are one way or the other.

We either lose and it becomes 100% crystal clear we don't have IT.
Or we win, hopefully by a handful, and get the road demons off our back for a huge stretch run for our basketball program.

Let's just hope it's the latter.

Not a lot to say about tonight - we're going to essentially prove who we are one way or the other.

We either lose and it becomes 100% crystal clear we don't have IT.
Or we win, hopefully by a handful, and get the road demons off our back for a huge stretch run for our basketball program.

Let's just hope it's the latter.
It's already 100% crystal clear that we don't have IT. Our hope is things go just enough right, and GT shits the bed enough, that we can escape with a win despite our faults. But IT isn't magically showing up at this point.

Wake is currently 1-4 in ACC road games. In order to feel good about a tourney bid, Wake likely needs to finish at least 4-6 in that department, which means that this one and the one at Notre Dame are critical. Losing either of those makes what is currently a slight uphill battle into a mountain.

Of course this gets said about every ACC game at this point, but I don't really see the path forward if we lose this one. Losing this one would probably mean that we need to go at least 7-2 to close ACC play, and that is asking a lot.

Hopefully winning this one gives this team some confidence on the road that they've been lacking since Carr's 3 at BC.

The next two games are must wins if we want to go dancing without some tournament run.

I'm afraid we may still need to win 1-2 in the ACCT unless we can just about run the table the rest of the season. And that's a tall order.

It's already 100% crystal clear that we don't have IT. Our hope is things go just enough right, and GT shits the bed enough, that we can escape with a win despite our faults. But IT isn't magically showing up at this point.
I mean, what if we go out and win by 15-20. You could easily argue that we are turning a corner if we do that. We've been on the precipice and failed so far, but the season isn't over. There's a reason they play 30+ games.

Do I expect a dominant victory? Of course not given what we have seen so far. I have a fleeting hope that we can get up 10-15, and just keep the pedal down.

This team has shown too many glimpses of really good basketball so far this season (mostly at home, but also long stretches on the road) that would eliminate the thought that we simply cannot win on the road. Doesn't make sense - we're running out of time though.

The one road game we won was basically a quasi-home game in BC when we had a large number of fans there. Sounds like we might have a similar situation tonight. If it really is just confidence and expecting failure, then maybe that's what we need to come out ahead.

Lots of guys on this roster who have never been THE guy in college when the game is on the line, especially in a hostile road environment. Sometimes that takes time.

We have backed ourselves in a corner but there is a way out. To me there are a few musts:

We MUST win @ GT and @ ND
We MUST win one of @VT/@UVA/@Duke
We MUST win one of the two duke games
We MUST win every home game besides Duke, if we win on the road.

Those are not all mutually exclusive obviously, but in my opinion if any of those lines are not completed, we are out. This is barring winning 3/4 games in ACCT.

If all of those are completed we have a chance. And any cherries on top will help, like winning two of those VT/UVA/Duke games, or beating Duke twice, or winning 2/3 games in ACCT. I don't think 1 win does anything really but is probably close to being a MUST as well.

If they finish 4-6/10-0, they have a good chance at being in at least a tie for 2nd place in the league. If they go 10-0 and win today and @ ND, then 13-7 will be at worst a tie for third place. I don't see in the end how some of these teams on the bubble will get a push over that. The ACC is not going to be a 2 bid league and Wake in those scenarios would have a recent win (hopefully beat down) of Clemson. Of course if they lose a home game the road to the dance requires a special win either @ Duke or snapping UVA's nation long streak.

If we go 14-6 then we are going to make the tournament. That would give us 2-3 Q1 wins (at least), and we would be on the verge of being ranked.

The Athletic Bubble Watch has UNC and Duke as locks with Clemson as a team that’s likely in. Wake on the bubble with VT and UVA. Think VT is on very shaky ground. They have 2 Q1 wins but are 2-7 overall in Q1 opps. Their only remaining big game is UNC. They probably need that one to have a chance. Virginia is the team that worries me. Now 9-3 in conference and looking at their remaining schedule it’s not hard at all to see them finishing 15-5.

We have backed ourselves in a corner but there is a way out. To me there are a few musts:

Those are not all mutually exclusive obviously, but in my opinion if any of those lines are not completed, we are out. This is barring winning 3/4 games in ACCT.

If all of those are completed we have a chance. And any cherries on top will help, like winning two of those VT/UVA/Duke games, or beating Duke twice, or winning 2/3 games in ACCT. I don't think 1 win does anything really but is probably close to being a MUST as well.
Yup on all counts. Trouble with GT is they've been capable of great games - they've just been terribly inconsistent in their level of play. I feel better about @ND than tonight, but this is about as must win as it gets.

Yup on all counts. Trouble with GT is they've been capable of great games - they've just been terribly inconsistent in their level of play. I feel better about @ND than tonight, but this is about as must win as it gets.

Them recently beating UNC worries me.

GT ML is +160 - throw down $100 on them and make some cash to hedge emotionally!

Went from -3.5 to -4.5 an hour ago.

This is kind of how I break it down, as well... But not as absolute.

Chronologically, if we win the next 2 (and we should), then I think we move back into most brackets (8-4 in the ACC with pretty good metrics). And then we'd need to win 1 of the next 2 (@ Duke or @ UVA) to really move up off the bubble.

If you look at UVA, that is kind of what they've done. They've won 7 in a row since we beat them in Winston... but aside from the win @ Clemson (and the convincing nature of last night's win vs. Miami), they've won games they should have won. But now they are in most brackets. Their next stretch of 7 games is more difficult and could easily be 4-3 (or even 3-4).

Ultimately, I think the ACC gets 5 teams in... UNC Duke Wake UVA Clemson. Maybe that number drops to 4.

If the ACC gets 5 at least 1 will be a play in team. Almost a guarantee.

Back