• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: @ GT -- Tuesday 7 pm -- ESPNU

It is unfathomable to me how clemson is an 8 seed in that latest Lunardi. They were 6 last week.

With them it comes down to doing more than work in non-conference than the rest of the ACC. Note their overall record at 14-7 is the same as ours and it would be hard to argue our resume over theirs at the moment.

OOC wins: at Alabama (5), TCU (N, 38), S Carolina (39), Boise St (36).
conference road wins: @Pitt, @FSU
Bad loss: GT

It is hard to fathom they’d get in at 9-11 or even 10-10 in the ACC even with one of the hardest conference schedules, so they’d better go on a run if they’re 4-7 after tonight. Definitely getting dangerous for them.

Yeah I see that, I just see them as a team generally trending very downward. Again it pains me to see our OOC when I see them so far ahead of us on the S Curve still. Play some fucking good games next year!

Yeah, no bad losses for Clemson aside from dropping a home game to GT. That, by itself, won't keep you out of the NCAAs.

HOWEVER, they are looking squarely at 11-9 or 10-10 in the ACC and I'm not sure that gets it done. Tough to finish 6th or worse in the conference and leapfrog more than a team or two to get a bid.

Schedule for Clemson is pretty easy from here... Toughest games are @ UNC (next) and @ Wake (last game). In between, they have 8 straight winnable games (where they'll be favored)... A tall order to run the table in those 8, though.

Yeah I see that, I just see them as a team generally trending very downward. Again it pains me to see our OOC when I see them so far ahead of us on the S Curve still. Play some fucking good games next year!
I mean you don't do bracketology based on how teams are trending, you do it based on what their resume is currently. Doing bracketology based on where you expect things to stand in March would be a different exercise entirely, and yeah teams like Clemson would be bumped down significantly because of recent struggles.

As others have pointed out, Clemson's resume is way better than Wake's currently. Yeah, they have similar NET rankings, but Clemson has the impressive wins that Wake's resume lacks and neither team has any completely terrible losses.

Bad losses just don't seem to really matter as much as good wins do.

Which is kind of strange given the whole "every game matters the same no matter when it's played" mantra.

Which is kind of strange given the whole "every game matters the same no matter when it's played" mantra.
They don’t hurt if you have 1. Stack a couple Q4 losses at different parts of the season and the committee may not give you the benefit of the doubt. Clemson last year with 4 bad losses (2 Q3, 2 Q4) is a great example of getting left out despite their 3rd place finish.

And then you have Clemson last year, Miami and FSU this year ... all losing to Louisville, all strapping an anchor to their résumés.

To me it feels like the order of the NET rankings is intended to make every game matter the same. But then good wins/bad losses get double counted because of the quad system, which I suppose makes sense in theory but obviously there are issues in practice.

I agree that the committee cares more about good wins than bad losses as far as most resumes go. A few impressive wins more than balances out a few Q3/Q4 losses as long as your NET ranking is in the right ballpark.

When I think of bad loss, I don't mean Miami losing at home to Louisville (LOL), I'm talking about LSU neutral court.

That's not BOMBING, it's just a game that the committee is gonna say "huh, what happened there?".

When I think of bad loss, I don't mean Miami losing at home to Louisville (LOL), I'm talking about LSU neutral court.

That's not BOMBING, it's just a game that the committee is gonna say "huh, what happened there?".
And we may find out just how much they value having your full team available when it comes to those types of losses. LSU, UGA, and Utah without Efton/Damari should mean something.

Meh, LSU loss is currently Q2. I don't think the committee is going to think all that hard about Q2 losses unless you have a ton of them. Of course, if LSU falls out of the NET top 100 that game becomes Q3 which will definitely get attention.

Either way, if your only Q3 loss is an early season neutral floor game it's probably going to be ok. Especially if a key starter was still ineligible to play.

Last edited:
Always have had a sick feeling that the LSU loss would cost WF in March. That said, LSU has played better than expected they are 4-4 in the SEC, but their next 5 games are daunting:

@ #6 TN
#7 Bama
@ #33 FL
@ #44 S. Carolina
#27 Kentucky

Hope the Tigers can take at least one of those.

And we may find out just how much they value having your full team available when it comes to those types of losses. LSU, UGA, and Utah without Efton/Damari should mean something.
I don't think the committee is going to care that we were missing Damari for the first half of the year unless he really goes crazy to end the season.

But yeah, they absolutely should (and will) take Reid's early season absence into account.

Finish ahead of Clemson and beat them at home to wind up the year, and I don't think they leapfrog us. Of course, this assumes we take care of business in our other home games and win 3 or 4 on the road.

Finish ahead of Clemson and beat them at home to wind up the year, and I don't think they leapfrog us. Of course, this assumes we take care of business in our other home games and win 3 or 4 on the road.
Based on current trends, I think it's very realistic that UNC, Duke, and UVA all safely get bids and it's down to Wake/Clemson for the last ACC spot. So yeah, losing at home to Clemson could be catastrophic.

Hopefully all 5 teams just get in

Back