• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 23: @ Duke - Tuesday 7 pm - ACCN

I think most of those were from his freshman year, so I think Forbes was probably pretty realistic about where he was coming from after a downturn in part caused by Covid, pneumonia, and a hip injury, but he had some great games his freshman year against top 10 teams.

Who knows.

Seems like those highlights are a 1 1/4x speed.

I'm feeling pretty good about next season based on the potential of a Ituka, Hildreth, Bobi, Carr, Marsh/Bradford lineup especially if Monsanto comes back and Bobi can come off the bench.

I'm feeling pretty good about next season based on the potential of a Ituka, Hildreth, Bobi, Carr, Marsh/Bradford lineup especially if Monsanto comes back and Bobi can come off the bench.
That makes 1 of us. That lineup, at best, is treading water with the current season. And that presumes Ituka and Klintmann make substantial jumps.

Don’t sleep on Keller! I am hoping he will be playing a bigger part next year.

Ha, I think they really are, but I think they did that with all the transfer videos. He still looks more nimble, though.

Yeah that guy doesn't even look like the Bradford we have now. Based on what I've seen out of him this year I think he's the least athletic 7 footer we've had in quite some time.

Did he have an injury or something in the off-season? His vertical leap is nearly nonexistent during games, and he looks like he's moving in molasses half the time.

Agreed, as long as Monsanto is back. He, Hildreth, and Carr can be guys who hover in that Third Team/HM All-ACC level, and give us a decent nucleus to build around. We need Ituka to be an average ACC starter. I thought he was headed for better than that based on preseason reports, but it's tough coming off an entire lost year. Klintman needs to be a capable rotation guy, and hopefully we saw the first step towards that last night. Taylor and McCray I have no hope for, and little for Keller. Hopefully he makes a jump, but if you don't show flashes as a freshman, you're probably not going to get there.

In addition to that, Forbes will need to grab a pure point guard from the portal who can spell Ituka for about 12-13 minutes and play 7-8 minutes on the floor with him. He also needs to get two playable bigs either through the portal or development from Marsh and/or Bradford. If Clark or MMM (assuming we can land him) can contribute, that's a bonus.

That would give us an 8-man rotation of: Ituka, Portal PG, Hildreth, Monsanto, Carr, Bobi (or Clark or MMM), and two of Marsh/Bradford/Keller/Portal. That seems very doable to me, and would have us back in the tourney. Strike it rich with an All-ACC level big, and we're a top-25 team.

In this day and age of transfer portal, NIL and pro options, almost pointless to make assumptions or even vague outlines of next year's team. Of the current 8 man rotation, here is where they were at this time last year:

Our PG (Appleby) was playing in the SEC (and doubt anyone on this Board outside of ATS had even heard of him)
Our SG (Hildreth) was coming off the following game log:
  • Jan. 15 UVA: 4 minutes, no recorded stats except for 1 TO
  • Jan. 19 GT: DNP
  • Jan. 22 UNC: 2 minutes 4 points in garbage time
  • Jan. 24 BC: 4 minutes 0-1 FG 1 T)
  • Jan. 29. Cuse 5 minutes 2 points
FWIW for the next three weeks after that WF played six games and Hildreth scored no points. In the middle of last season, Hildreth was just another guy on the WF bench.
  • Our SF (Monsanto) was coming off a torn achillies and had scored a total of 34 points on the season.
  • Our PF (Carr) was playing in the Colonial Athletic Conference and had just scored 5 points (1 for 6 from the field) against James Madison
  • Our C (Marsh), had scored 17 points in 10 ACC games and had 14 DNPs on the season
-Our 3-4 off the bench (Klintman) was committed to Colorado
- Our back up 5 (Bradford) was coming off a 2 minute scoreless performance against Ole Miss.

The best player by far of those on the current roster was Davien, and he is only playing now because we lack a warm body who can play guard.

The point is that's its nearly impossible to know who will be playing for us at this time next year. Would have thought LaRavia and Mucius would be playing for WF and possibly Walton too.

Our top three players next year may be current Big 12 nothing burgers or MAAC freshman, and the guys on our current roster may be playing in the Big 10 or in Europe or even in the G League in a year.

Last edited:
Your post only distracts from my post if you think one of two of the players I listed will transfer. Otherwise, you're bolstering my point given how far this group has come in one year.

And surely we'll get some quality transfers to add to that group.

Hard to believe the POY in NC (Taylor) and SC (McCray) can't sniff a minute to even play perimeter D....

That makes 1 of us. That lineup, at best, is treading water with the current season. And that presumes Ituka and Klintmann make substantial jumps.
I’m not really seeing it either. Most just seem to be assuming that Forbes will hit 1 or 2 home runs in the portal again. If Monsanto leaves we will be in bad shape. He’s single-handedly kept us in games when the offense has gotten stagnant.

If we hope to build something sustainable, we cannot expect to lose 70%+ of our scoring, rebounding, minutes every year and rebuild. We have to hold on to some talent and grow year over year.

I'm not optimistic that Monsanto return but I am hoping everyone else currently in the rotation with eligibility will.

Think we are good next year if we have a center and a point guard (2 big ifs). We are good otherwise. Unknowns are can Ituka play the minutes and be decent along with Marsh/Bradford stepping up. 2 big unknowns. I am hopeful we pick up players to fill those gaps if Forbes thinks we need it. Really would have been good to see what Ituka was bringing to the table. Think Klintmon makes a big jump and hopefully Keller. Wish Tyree had another year, he is just so fun to watch.

I'm not counting on Monsanto coming back.

Is there any basis for the speculation about Monsanto leaving? Or is it just based on the current environment? He would seem to be an attractive candidate for an application of whatever NIL resources we have...

I'm not counting on Monsanto coming back.
Why do you say that? Really hope he does return. Kind of thought Forbes and Monsanto had a tight bond after he followed him to Wake. Monsanto can be a little "emotional" at times and Forbes gets him. Think it would be a mistake but alot of teams would want him.

If we hope to build something sustainable, we cannot expect to lose 70%+ of our scoring, rebounding, minutes every year and rebuild. We have to hold on to some talent and grow year over year.
I agree...and I really hope we're able to do it. There's some optimism on here we'll get most everyone back next year, I hope that ends up being the case.

Damari will be 23 years old before next season starts, this is his fourth year of college, and other programs will definitely offer him money next year.

So I could see him leaving to play professionally or to take a bag somewhere. The one glimmer of hope to me is, if he hasn't graduated by the end of summer, I do not believe according to the letter of the law he can transfer a second time without sitting out. However, I feel like that can be worked around.

Back