• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 24: @ Duke- Monday 7pm - ESPN

I haven't watched a ton of Duke this year so honestly don't know. Would it be better for us to put Carr on Filipowski and Reid guards Mitchell?
After sitting there watching 40 minutes in person, here are my pov:
Wake does not play the sticking enough m-t-m needed to guard well enough in this league.
Shooting 6-26 from threes’s will never get it done and took far too many outside the offense
Had Duke in a bad shooting night also but still could D them up enough to matter
Late Sallis just handed the ball on 2 freaky Duke possessions/turnovers
Boopie in late after sitting when PFred should have been for his offense
WTF that last possession? Miss a FT, everybody stands as Sallis missed front end with 10 to go and everybody watch it roll OOB? And at :14 Damari misses a 3 and all 5 watch Mitchell for a dunk for 77-69 lead?

Since it was a Duke game at Cameron, I have to mention one time when the refs boned us. Sometime in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, Carr got fouled by Filipowski on a spin to the bucket that went uncalled, Forbes lost his shit, and Duke went down and hit a three. It was an important turning point.
I think about the game when Wake bones themselves shooting 6-26 from three’s and taking step back & long rang 30 footer on many. I also think about at 5:08 mark when Wake stepped out of bounds on sideline but Proctor got called for being called OOB. Can’t review it-Wake ball. Scheyer went crazy on replay.

I think about the game when Wake bones themselves shooting 6-26 from three’s and taking step back & long rang 30 footer on many. I also think about at 5:08 mark when Wake stepped out of bounds on sideline but Proctor got called for being called OOB. Can’t review it-Wake ball. Scheyer went crazy on replay.

So you think about the game like a Duke fan would. Good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair to DR (who we saw and laughed at), I did think the crowd was a little late getting there, not a sellout, and more subdued than I expected. Things got plenty loud late in the 2nd though. Could feel the building vibrating.
Not a sellout?

He knows his team is a top 20 three point shooting team in the country and an open 3 is a great look almost always.
Well clearly they weren't. Continuing to coach to analytics in Cameron when nothing is falling and you are getting boned by the refs is the sign of a bad coach. And neither of those (shots not falling and getting boned by the refs) is even remotely surprising in Cameron. Not being prepared for it to happen is the sign of an even worse coach.

Honestly, there were a handful of bad threes, but otherwise we normally hit those. Saying Forbes is a horrible coach and complaining about our half court offense when we literally have one of the best offenses in the country is…something.

Positive vibes only. Assert your will, Deacs!!
We have one of the best offenses in the country against bad to mediocre teams. Said offense shits the bed against anyone decent, and especially on the road. That is the sign of a bad coach. We are mentally weak, undisciplined, miss crucial FTs, take awful shots, stupid fouls, and stupid turnovers. All that is all on the coach. He is a great guy, great face of of the program, great at identifying talent in the portal, and a seems like a great hype man. But he has proven over and over and over that he is a bad in-game coach. If we don't have an obvious superior talent advantage, we are fucked. Duke tried all night to give us that game and we didn't take it. But hey, maybe things will be different in the 28th year.

We have one of the best offenses in the country against bad to mediocre teams. Said offense shits the bed against anyone decent, and especially on the road. That is the sign of a bad coach. We are mentally weak, undisciplined, miss crucial FTs, take awful shots, stupid fouls, and stupid turnovers. All that is all on the coach. He is a great guy, great face of of the program, great at identifying talent in the portal, and a seems like a great hype man. But he has proven over and over and over that he is a bad in-game coach. If we don't have an obvious superior talent advantage, we are fucked. Duke tried all night to give us that game and we didn't take it. But hey, maybe things will be different in the 28th year.
let's hear what you would've done differently, you've coached basketball afterall

Definitely was not a sellout. Or at least there were empty seats
Not a sellout. I submitted a "ticket request" online from Duke for 4 tickets about a month ago. Didn't hear anything for a couple weeks so bought on secondary market. Then got 3 calls from the Duke ticket office in the 48 hours before the game asking if I would still like to buy tickets from the school.

let's hear what you would've done differently, you've coached basketball afterall
Exactly what I said in this thread in the first half. Once it got to 0-10, 0-11, or 0-12 from three, told them the next person who shoots a three is off the team. No more jump shots outside 10 feet until we actually find a rhythm. Drive everything to the basket, which Sallis was killing them at. Initiate contact on offense to force the refs to keep up the farce. The only way to win in that place is to take control of the physical aspects of the game and be the aggressor on offense. I also would have left Reid in after the 3rd foul but switched to a zone on D to try to protect him. If you lose him, so what? He was going to foul out at some point anyway, but when Duke was struggling in the first half we needed to seize control at that point in time. Everyone knew if it was close towards the end Duke would break it open.

We’re obviously good enough, but still just haven’t won enough games against good teams.

If the season ended today, pretty sure we’re out.
It’s just starting to feel that way. Fun team but can’t win the right games. Just like 2022

Exactly what I said in this thread in the first half. Once it got to 0-10, 0-11, or 0-12 from three, told them the next person who shoots a three is off the team. No more jump shots outside 10 feet until we actually find a rhythm. Drive everything to the basket, which Sallis was killing them at. Initiate contact on offense to force the refs to keep up the farce. The only way to win in that place is to take control of the physical aspects of the game and be the aggressor on offense. I also would have left Reid in after the 3rd foul but switched to a zone on D to try to protect him. If you lose him, so what? He was going to foul out at some point anyway, but when Duke was struggling in the first half we needed to seize control at that point in time. Everyone knew if it was close towards the end Duke would break it open.
so we would have lost by 20. if you think going to a zone against that team was the right call you are out of your mind.

The most frustrating part for me last night was that Duke wasn't even playing good pressure defense and Boopie and Cam still forced plays and committed reckless turnovers. I can somewhat understand getting sped up on the road against FSU or State when they're pressing full court and hand checking constantly but last night was pure lack of focus and terrible decision making.

That one was there for the taking. :(

Thankfully, the season isn't over today.
Chaundee's blown layup was there for the taking.

Mark Williams over LaRavia for the last second putback was there for the taking.

We seem to have a lot of there for the taking games, and instead, play way too fast and High Anxiety basketball (Reid, Hildreth) and then take the L.

IMHO, we have a very talented basketball team, that unfortunately (between turnovers, senseless foul trouble, not finishing around the rim, poor shot selection and sometimes questionable in game coaching) only typically plays to about 60 percent of their potential. We have games where we probably play 85+ percent of our potential, but to win on the road at Duke or UNC, it's got to be 90+ percent and we just don't seem to put that kind of performance together in those situations. The fact that we didn't play well at all last night and Duke never could really shake us, tells me how much potential this team has, but eventually you've got to come up big in one of those situations.

Not a sellout. I submitted a "ticket request" online from Duke for 4 tickets about a month ago. Didn't hear anything for a couple weeks so bought on secondary market. Then got 3 calls from the Duke ticket office in the 48 hours before the game asking if I would still like to buy tickets from the school.
There are different ways to define a sellout. Duke is always going to report 9,314 for attendance, whether that is the UNC game or a game vs. Queens in November. The game in November will have plenty of breathing room in the bleachers, while the UNC game they will be packed in like sardines. I'm sure they love to sell people bleacher tickets for $100-125 each a couple of days before the game (as evidenced by the multiple calls you received) if they know their students aren't going to be using 100% of their max allotment (or the hundreds of tickets they held back for guests aren't needed). Even more likely that would happen for a week night game when it is their third straight home game.

Duke encourages season ticket holders to return tickets they won’t use so that the tickets can be resold.

Back