• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29 - @ VT - Saturday - 5:30 - CW

The environment for their home game against UVA was great, definitely seemed to feed off the crowd. Plus the refs only called 6 fouls against them for the entire game (wonder how many times a team has played an entire non-cupcake game without a single player picking up their 2nd foul this year). Kidd/Pedulla/Cattoor is a solid core, they are definitely a "sum is worse than the parts" team this year. Very unpredictable, but if we can't beat Notre Dame on wide open looks I don't know how we'll beat VaTech with Monsanto going through whatever he's going through. Hope the team can keep it together and stay focused to close out the season.

This one feels like it comes down to defending the 3. If Pedulla, Cattoor, and Nickel get clean looks at home they will knock them down. This is definitely a team you want to run off the line.

And it’d be nice if we could have an 8-10 3PM game on the road for once. But too much evidence against it for me to get my hopes up there.

This one feels like it comes down to defending the 3. If Pedulla, Cattoor, and Nickel get clean looks at home they will knock them down. This is definitely a team you want to run off the line.

And it’d be nice if we could have an 8-10 3PM game on the road for once. But too much evidence against it for me to get my hopes up there.

We absolutely stifled their guards in that home win. A repeat performance would go a long way toward getting a nice road win.

Wouldn’t you rather have an 8-10 15’ 2PM game instead?

VT is shooting 35% from three in ACC play. In the Hokies 7 conference wins they shot the following %'s from three:

• 25% (L'ville)
  • 54% (Clemson)
  • 47% (NC State)
  • 36% (BC)
  • 44% (GT)
  • 48% (FSU)
  • 35% (UVA - the Hoos shot 16%)

So, VT's path to victory against everyone except L'ville is to hit from three. WF is the best team in the ACC at keeping opponents from scoring three (only 26% of ACC' opponents points are from three). Also, WF is third in the ACC in 3 point FG% defense (31%). The Deacs have been great at running teams off the three, which has been a huge change from year's past. Got to keep that going on Saturday. If Cattoor and Pedulla have big games from deep, the Deacs will be in trouble.

The only positive to come out of the disaster of our basketball program over the last 2 decades (I think things started to fall apart when Skip died, even though we had a couple of great teams after that) is that I don't care nearly as much as I did before. I don't get too excited over wins or too despondent over losses. And this is coming from the guy who kicked a coffee table across the room after we blew a 20+ lead in the Dean Dome in 1992.

I will watch the game on Saturday and be happy if we win and disappointed when we lose. But then I will go on with the rest of my weekend, regardless of the outcome.
Hubert Davis with the game winning field goal, if I recall correctly. Brutal. Total deer in the headlights second half.

Given the home/road analysis above, really tough to project a WF win on Saturday. That said, feel like Forbes will have the Deacs ready on Saturday. The ND loss was the classic flat spot after WF's game of the year, and with the urgency of the season-ending and the chance to finish WF road schedule with a win, Forbes will have WF ready to play. That said, fully expect Mike Young to have the Hokies motivated for revenge after the WF blow-out and after two rough road performances. May be wearing Black and Gold colored glasses, but just like WF jumped over the Q1 hump with the Duke win last Saturday, think WF gets over its road blues this Saturday, despite the numbers screaming otherwise. Expect a competitive game, and still have faith in this team to do special things this year.

I guess it depends on what ready means. I think the team will compete (I think they have competed in every road game, even UNC). But there is no reason to expect that being willing to compete = victory. But I'll watch and hope that this is the game where the tide changes.

Hubert Davis with the game winning field goal, if I recall correctly. Brutal. Total deer in the headlights second half.
It may have been. I was thinking it was Brian Reese. But don't really recall. I do know that if Childress hadn't been out that season, we would have not lost that game. He wouldn't have let us.

There have been few games this year (and I think maybe no road games), where we were not ready to play out of the gate. It's not a matter of energy or caring about the game, it's just execution throughout that has failed us.

There have been few games this year (and I think maybe no road games), where we were not ready to play out of the gate. It's not a matter of energy or caring about the game, it's just execution throughout that has failed us.

True and that just makes the whole thing even more bizarre. Hell we were even leading Carolina at the half right? Not that I ever expected to win that game but still. Someone recently posted the second half scoring margins and they were staggering.

True and that just makes the whole thing even more bizarre. Hell we were even leading Carolina at the half right? Not that I ever expected to win that game but still. Someone recently posted the second half scoring margins and they were staggering.
we have so many shots where it's like how the fuck did that not go in

Back