• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29 - @ VT - Saturday - 5:30 - CW

We are due for a good second half shooting performance on the road, right?...
Wake has been due. The big question is when it will happen. One difference. This is the first road game in a while (ever this season?) after the longer Tuesday - Saturday break instead of the shorter Saturday - Tuesday one. Will the extra day matter, especially with the Tuesday game also a roadie?

Wake has been due. The big question is when it will happen. One difference. This is the first road game in a while (ever this season?) after the longer Tuesday - Saturday break instead of the shorter Saturday - Tuesday one. Will the extra day matter, especially with the Tuesday game also a roadie?
@UVA was Monday-Saturday. And we had 9 days between UNC and a Wednesday game @ Pitt. Otherwise they were Saturday-Tuesday.

Tuesday night was as frustrated as I can remember being during a Wake game since Wellman self-imposed the death penalty. It might even have been the most frustrating game since we got Pittsnoggled (Dino's Cleveland St. debacle was not shocking). Add to that my diehard son sharing in the misery, and it just plain sucked. I can't watch much of the VT game live, so hopefully that makes the difference. Win this and who cares about ND, because I have planned on @VT as a loss for weeks. Would take that trade, but just don't see how we overcome our typical last 10 minutes offensive meltdown. We suck away from home.

we have so many shots where it's like how the fuck did that not go in
I’m still baffled how Parker’s second miss found a way to not go in. It spun out so hard it ended up on top of the backboard.

I’m still baffled how Parker’s second miss found a way to not go in. It spun out so hard it ended up on top of the backboard.
yeah exactly. so many in and outs on great looks. it truly is like at halftime they put up the carnival rims as Stan said.

We needed more Parker and less Boopie on Tuesday. Almost certain he would have made a couple if he had 3-4 more attempts. And that game was so poorly played, the single 3 from Shrewsberry really was the killer.

We needed more Parker and less Boopie on Tuesday. Almost certain he would have made a couple if he had 3-4 more attempts. And that game was so poorly played, the single 3 from Shrewsberry really was the killer.
Did you watch the same game I did. Thought Boopie played one of his better road games all year. Apparently so did the coaching staff.

Did you watch the same game I did. Thought Boopie played one of his better road games all year. Apparently so did the coaching staff.
Not a super high bar with some of Boopie's road game struggles, but yeah he was mostly fine yesterday.

If Sallis played at just 25% of the level yesterday that he played against Duke then Wake wins that game probably easily. So that's where I place most of the responsibility for Tuesday

Not a super high bar with some of Boopie's road game struggles, but yeah he was mostly fine yesterday.

If Sallis played at just 25% of the level yesterday that he played against Duke then Wake wins that game probably easily. So that's where I place most of the responsibility for Tuesday

Yeah I mean Miller/Hildreth/Carr/Reid were all pretty good offensively at least. Nobody did shit to stop Burton obviously. But Sallis was 2-11 from the field for 7 points and our entire bench combined for 1-6 for 3 points in 25 minutes of playing time. It’s pretty clear where the issues were. Certainly don’t expect a repeat from Sallis since this was by far his worst game of the year but we won’t win very many games where he plays like that, if any.

ETA: The four starters outside of Sallis were 22/42 (52%) from the field and the other 4 guys who played were 3/17 (18%) from the field so 🤷‍♂️

This, unfortunately. It was like Sallis was possessed by the ghost of a much worse player. Hopefully it was just a one game funk - maybe the curse of being national player of the week?

This, unfortunately. It was like Sallis was possessed by the ghost of a much worse player. Hopefully it was just a one game funk - maybe the curse of being national player of the week?
I'm having a fun argument with RJKarl about Sallis on Facebook. He posted something about how Sallis was a solid first round pick and I commented that he may play his way out of that if he has more games like he did against ND. RJ said it was a "douche" and "classless" response.

We were -15 in Parker’s 10 minutes. Sure he didn’t score, but the bigger problem was he was getting cooked in switches at the other end. Notre Dame scored at a pace of 94 points/40 in those minutes.

So often, the opponents gameplan is to attack Parker on D. I love Parker's game, but he needs to get stronger.

We were -15 in Parker’s 10 minutes. Sure he didn’t score, but the bigger problem was he was getting cooked in switches at the other end. Notre Dame scored at a pace of 94 points/40 in those minutes.
Parker isn't yet strong enough or quick enough on D against that type of offense.

Parker isn't yet strong enough or quick enough on D against that type of offense.
Off season in the weight room will take care of a great deal of his current deficiencies. Would be beneficial to Carr too.

Off season in the weight room will take care of a great deal of his current deficiencies. Would be beneficial to Carr too.
Carr has had two years at Wake and is around 22 years old. Parker is a teenager and has zero years of college strength and conditioning. Far more likely Parker makes strides than Carr.

Parker and Damari were huge defensive liabilities against ND.

It was clear, to me at least, why we were so reliant on the starting five + Marsh (when Reid went out). Those two were unplayable honestly, especially after it was clear they weren't hitting 3s.

Back