• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29 - @ VT - Saturday - 5:30 - CW

So often, the opponents gameplan is to attack Parker on D. I love Parker's game, but he needs to get stronger.
My eye test says Parker does a decent job on D - certainly enough to hold his own, no?

My eye test says Parker does a decent job on D - certainly enough to hold his own, no?
Depends on the match up. It was like he was in a whirlpool with ND’s screen action.

Not a super high bar with some of Boopie's road game struggles, but yeah he was mostly fine yesterday.

If Sallis played at just 25% of the level yesterday that he played against Duke then Wake wins that game probably easily. So that's where I place most of the responsibility for Tuesday
I agree. I think It's an unpopular view when a fan puts the blame of a loss on one player. But, in my opinion, Sallis is the reason we won the Duke game, and the reason we lost the Notre Dame game. A star player carries a lot of weight in the win loss column.

he wasn't locking down anyone, but i thought pfred was overall relatively fine on defense, he got beat and then caught in the air one time which i guess looked bad but it was mostly unevenful (in a good way) the rest of the game. plus he's good at off-ball defense. unfortunately damari was legit horrible (and has some off-ball lapses), although still a small sample size.

but i think the bigger issue is that idea that one or two shots early in the game has predictive value. i think every study shows that a 35% shooter who starts a game by missing four times has almost exactly 35% chance of making the fifth one.

but i think we had to rely on boopie more because we needed individual scoring with sallis off his game.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think it's very fair to lump Parker and Monsanto together defensively right now.

Parker has improved dramatically this year, he's actually held his own, boxed out, gotten a few boards and steals - except if he gets switched to the opponent's top offensive guard. Then he's looked rough. I thought the sneaky slow death of the Notre Dame game was the ridiculous moving screens they kept allowing. There was no way we could avoid switches with a big guy just sliding with our defender over and over, and it killed us.

Monsanto, even though it's not his fault coming back from such a long injury, isn't even playing his true position. He's immediately getting backed down by 4's and he has to lean in so hard just to stand his ground it's looked very awkward. Lots of fouls and buckets, lots of swipes and cheating to try and knock away passes. He and Keller are the two guys who have gotten significant minutes that simply can't defend at the level of the rest of the team. We can't play Monsanto against teams that don't have a weak 4 offensively without it being a huge risk.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him. Injuries suck.

I agree. I think It's an unpopular view when a fan puts the blame of a loss on one player. But, in my opinion, Sallis is the reason we won the Duke game, and the reason we lost the Notre Dame game. A star player carries a lot of weight in the win loss column.
Sallis and Boopie have been the leading contributor of why we have stuggled on the road.

Especially Sallis has really struggled, not sure what the deal is. We need to get his travel vibe high.

Why a good coach has team pound inside and only shoot the 3 unless late in game clock as Efird and Carr with Hunter and Cam slashing should feast. Don’t care how wide open 3 is unless a player has stats showing they shoot well on road, but guessing not many fit that bill given what we’ve seen on road. Plus it would help slow the game down as our transition D on the road has largely been putrid. At least for one half per each road game barring jackets game.

The three-point disparities are high for everyone except Carr. They're bad three-point shooters on the road and electric at home.

Boopie - .235/.450
Cam - .278/.405
Reid - .100/.250
PFred - .308/.518
Monsanto - .323/.389

Carr - .423/.370

Thanks for posting the individual stats. That’s wild. Not sure it’s really explainable.

I'm curious if other teams have as stark of a difference as our team.

Sallis and Boopie have been the leading contributor of why we have stuggled on the road.

Especially Sallis has really struggled, not sure what the deal is. We need to get his travel vibe high.
We need Coach Norman Dale to remind the team the VT court dimensions and basket height are the same as Wake’s home gym in Winston.

I don’t know the statistics but I would assume most teams shoot better at home particularly from 3. The disparity for Wake seems larger than average. This will also hold in the NCAA especially with the added pressure. Defense and and a disciplined offense that takes good shots will determine our fate in March. Very concerning for a Forbes team. Wake has a viable if not strong inside game with Reid and Carr. Forbes has to instill enough discipline to use them versus freely jacking up 3s. This also accounts for part of the FT disparity on the road. The defense should also be a non negotiable. We win at ND by double digits if we would have used our advantage inside.

The three-point disparities are high for everyone except Carr. They're bad three-point shooters on the road and electric at home.

Boopie - .235/.450
Cam - .278/.405
Reid - .100/.250
PFred - .308/.518
Monsanto - .323/.389

Carr - .423/.370
Even more proof of saltydeac's point above.

What makes even less sense in a small sample size is our 3-point shooting in Charleston (our 3 neutral site games), but kind of bodes well for neutral site games moving forward:

Utah - 10/26 (38.4%)
Towson - 8/20 (40%)
LSU - 8/23 *34.7%)

Total - 37.6%

So is it basically all confidence and wilting under pressure because of a home crowd? Is it small sample size that's just super odd? It's probably a really weird combo of everything where we are an outlier shooting at home in a positive fashion, and an outlier shooting away in a negative fashion.

Odds are everything regresses, but we're running out of time for that.

Figure out a way to win these last 3 games. Doesn’t matter how pretty it is or style points now. I think we’ll be locked into the tournament if we go 2-1 and will be playing for NCAAT seeding in DC

I mean we're shooting 29% from 3 on the road in conference play (57/197), and made 10/21 in our first road game. That's just so bad.

Our 3PT Rate is basically the same at home vs. away from home too (37.8% at home, 38.2% on the road), so it's not like we're taking more shots either.

Last edited:
Back