• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Utes - Thursday 9 pm - Charleston Classic Quarter-Final ESPNU

Adding Damari back to spread the defense while Cam and Hunter crash downhill is going to be exciting to watch. That also opens up the lob over the top to Marsh for his wheelhouse: crashing the rim for alley oops
This proves my point. You named 4 guys. At least one of them is going to be out at all times. Currently, it is two. If we're lucky at some point it will be one.

What we're doing wrong is failing to acknowledge that sports in 2023 means that you have to assume at least 25% of your players are going to be out "injured" at any point in time, and have the depth to backfill. "Well when we get _______ back" is code for our team sucks. Whether pro or college, players play much less now than they used to. Whether or not it is being overly cautious, it is reality. One guy comes back, another guy goes out. The good teams anticipate it and overcome it. The bad teams wait for ______ to come back.
This just… isn’t true. Brain dead take. I know you have to play with who you’ve got but missing 4 guys GAME 3 is not normal or something that every team in America is dealing with.

The announcers said Wake had 8 players available. Was Canka or Clark injured?

The announcers said Wake had 8 players available. Was Canka or Clark injured?
I heard the announcer say that but haven’t heard anything additional along those lines. Canka was dressed in uniform, so I’m thinking he was available.

Seeing Keller play well last night was really refreshing. Think he's gonna improve & get a lot more confident here on out which we'll really need

Really didn't expect Canka to barely get any playing time going into this season. Guess he's just not there yet

I think those expecting a ton from Monsanto might be a bit too optimistic. That's 2 serious injuries in 3 years. I hope he is healthy and plays well (he certainly had a pro future prior to the NCSU game last year), but I'm not sure what I would expect out of him this season.

This just… isn’t true. Brain dead take. I know you have to play with who you’ve got but missing 4 guys GAME 3 is not normal or something that every team in America is dealing with.
The Hornets were 9 games in and down 7 rotation players the other night, including 3 starters. The NBA had to pass rules to prevent too many guys sitting out. Name an NFL team that hasn't had major injuries this season. Our football team has been depleted by injuries. That is sports these days. Quality depth is as, or more, important as top-end talent. Every team deals with it, we just use it as an excuse because we suck, so we don't acknowledge that everyone else is dealing with the same thing. The good teams still find a way to win.

Little more reasonable today about the loss. Utah is a team that I could see making a deep run in the tourney.... Scrappy, plays good D, has solid bigs and guards.

Forbes has some work to do this season to get us on the bubble but it looks like it can be done

The Hornets were 9 games in and down 7 rotation players the other night, including 3 starters. The NBA had to pass rules to prevent too many guys sitting out. Name an NFL team that hasn't had major injuries this season. Our football team has been depleted by injuries. That is sports these days. Quality depth is as, or more, important as top-end talent. Every team deals with it, we just use it as an excuse because we suck, so we don't acknowledge that everyone else is dealing with the same thing. The good teams still find a way to win.
I mean this just isn't true that all teams in college basketball are "dealing with it" like Wake is. And college basketball is not the same as the NFL lol.

On this list I see like 6 or 7 teams that have 4 guys out like Wake does. I don't see anybody with more and I see more teams with 0 than 3 or 4 guys combined

I thought for the most part we played pretty well, and if the refs didn't let them get away with contact while calling phantom fouls on us we could have very well won the game.

You cite the Charlotte Hornets and then say good teams find a way to win. Uhh what's the Hornets' record buddy? Basketball and football is comparing apples and oranges, football is a more physical sport and rosters are much much larger. Also, in pro sports if a guy is injured you can trade or sign a free agent, you can't do that during the college basketball season. My point was it's pretty unusual to miss this many players at the BEGINNING of the season, mid year/end of season makes more sense to be banged up.

I think those expecting a ton from Monsanto might be a bit too optimistic. That's 2 serious injuries in 3 years. I hope he is healthy and plays well (he certainly had a pro future prior to the NCSU game last year), but I'm not sure what I would expect out of him this season.

I expect him to fire 3s without hesitation from all over the court and hit roughly 40% of them. Anything else would be a bonus.

Love Parker as a shooter, but he's not Monsanto (yet).

I expect him to fire 3s without hesitation from all over the court and hit roughly 40% of them. Anything else would be a bonus.

Yes, Monsanto is going to rain 3's and give us a chance on any given night.

Which is why getting out of this tournament with a 2-1 record and 3-2 overall, while getting Keller some experience - is still HUGE.

The silver lining is that if Marsh hadn't gotten dinged and Efton placed in purgatory, there is no way Keller gets meaningful minutes last night. Hope the short term pain leads to long-term gain.

he's not Monsanto yet, but there were a few instances last night when his feet were set, we got penetration creating some space, and I wanted the ball to be kicked out to him. I'll take my chances with him shooting in that scenario. And when we run across the next 1-3-1 look...please let Parker touch the ball.

Agree with this —Monsanto is becoming more and more of a legend the longer he is off the floor. We were often better last year when he was not on the floor— depended on the matchups. One thing for sure is that he has to be covered , so it opens up things for other shooters.

Back