• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Utes - Thursday 9 pm - Charleston Classic Quarter-Final ESPNU

Tough to rebound when over the back isn't called.
One of my pet peeves in the dribble drive era is dribble drive, throw up some garbage and miss, then everyone crashes the glass. Lack of skill in general with all of that.

You essentially need a baby on your team like Ferry, Newton or a Duke wussy to cry and fall on the ground and sprawl out - to get an over the back call. I don't even remember the last one I've seen, other than a Duke home game.

Was only able to watch highlights so far but to me we look so bad on D. Just inept
1st half D was ALOT better than the last 8 min (likely highlights)..... only gave up 2 off rebs in H1 vs 9 in H2. there's some hope.

The free throw disparity was pretty surprising. Urah's guard, Wooster, shot as many free throws as the whole Wake TEAM.
Cam shot ZERO free throws.
I thought the offense was supposed to be getting the calls when they aggressively try to score down low and there is contact. Looked like the refs only were calling fouls when the Utah bigs were doing that.

This is what pisses me off the most about the current state of college basketball. With the reliance on KenPom, NET, etc. feels like our season is already over. Few remaining opportunities to boost our resume but endless opportunities for "bad" losses. I guess it's possible we could go 15-5 in the ACC, beat Florida in the SEC challenge and not get upset by any lower ranked team for the rest of the season but that seems....improbable. Someone please explain to me how we make the NCAA tournament without doing that (or winning the ACC tournament). It just sucks to feel like the guys are playing out the string in November.
And yes, I'm ready some negative feedback for this post.
Negative feedback for saying the facts? The way the current system is we’re already screwed.

Sometimes I wonder why we all didn’t go to like Williams or Union and just not think about college sports.
I went to a school without D1 sports.

Where did that get me? I'm reading the game thread for the first time after watching the entire thing last night. Pretty sure that encapsulates wake fandom.

Thanks a lot dad.

Where did that get me? I'm reading the game thread for the first time after watching the entire thing last night. Pretty sure that encapsulates wake fandom.

Thanks a lot dad.
I am actively putting my kids in your position now 🤦🏼‍♀️

...and Reid and Klintman and Ituka and Marsh too for fouls...it's the "what if" Deacs basketball team.
I don't think Sallis is 100% healthy. He looked very tentative, possibly because he doesn't feel good about his ankle. As it heals up, I think Sallis contributes more.

Right now, Wake is a collection of walking wounded.
Ituka - out for season
Monsanto - out for first half of season
Marsh - out multiple games. Total games missed, TBD.
Sallis - missed practices from injury. Not 100%
Hildreth - missed practices from injury. Not 100%.

In the last 12 min we had 1 offensive board, gave up 7. there's your game. size kills.

I don't think Sallis is 100% healthy. He looked very tentative, possibly because he doesn't feel good about his ankle. As it heals up, I think Sallis contributes more.

Right now, Wake is a collection of walking wounded.
Ituka - out for season
Monsanto - out for first half of season
Marsh - out multiple games. Total games missed, TBD.
Sallis - missed practices from injury. Not 100%
Hildreth - missed practices from injury. Not 100%.
the season has barely started. what are we doing wrong? not 100% bad luck.

Positive for me last night was I think Keller can give some minutes at 4/5 this year to rest starters. I also expect Boopie to get more consistent as season goes, and Sallis looks legit. Hope this is a team that gets better as we play more and get healthy. Thought their size and depth wore us down last night.

Not only does size kill but with injuries we just have guys needing to play a lot of minutes and I think that showed down the stretch. Combined with Utah’s fantastic decision to go into multiple zone looks and our inability to break it down successfully, we just let it slip away. That said (unlike Biff) I think Utah is a pretty solid team. They’re going to be at least a bubble team if they stay healthy.

On the positives: Carr is much stronger inside and has worked on his back to the basket game. Marion and Parker are not only efficient out there, they appear to positionally understand basketball and where they should be/what their role is. Neither is trying to do too much out there. Parker is way more active on D than I expected and he doesn’t force his outside shots. His confidence as a ball handler is also ahead of where I expected and that pocket pass to Carr when he drew the double team from the corner/elbow area was sexy. He doesn’t look like a freshman. Marion similarly gets that he’s in there to play D, provide length inside, and junk it up. I’d like to honestly see both guys try to be a little more aggressive when it comes to scoring. Sure Carr, Cam, and Sallis have been efficient but i don’t think Marion’s 7% usage rate on offense playing almost 70% of our minutes is high enough.

Thanks a lot dad.
Same...Can't believe i'm taking my kids down this same path now too

Not only does size kill but with injuries we just have guys needing to play a lot of minutes and I think that showed down the stretch. Combined with Utah’s fantastic decision to go into multiple zone looks and our inability to break it down successfully, we just let it slip away. That said (unlike Biff) I think Utah is a pretty solid team. They’re going to be at least a bubble team if they stay healthy.

On the positives: Carr is much stronger inside and has worked on his back to the basket game. Marion and Parker are not only efficient out there, they appear to positionally understand basketball and where they should be/what their role is. Neither is trying to do too much out there. Parker is way more active on D than I expected and he doesn’t force his outside shots. His confidence as a ball handler is also ahead of where I expected and that pocket pass to Carr when he drew the double team from the corner/elbow area was sexy. He doesn’t look like a freshman. Marion similarly gets that he’s in there to play D, provide length inside, and junk it up. I’d like to honestly see both guys try to be a little more aggressive when it comes to scoring. Sure Carr, Cam, and Sallis have been efficient but i don’t think Marion’s 7% usage rate on offense playing almost 70% of our minutes is high enough.

I agree with everything that you said. Given our limited numbers last night, I was really impressed with the way everyone on the team played for the first 36 minutes of the game (especially offensively). Our second half defense appeared to be of the matador variety, and when a player is as hot as Carlson was last night - combined with their ridiculous height advantage at every position, then it's going to be tough. But last night, I felt like we just ran out of gas because we didn't have the numbers that Forbes was used to playing (to give guys a chance to rest).

That being said (and I hope our coaching staff or someone on the team reads this), we have got to realize that when guys are playing as many minutes for us as Hildreth, Carr, and Sallis are playing - that their legs are going to be wiped out by midway through the 2nd half. Our three-point shots in the 2nd half (and this has been an issue with Alondes and Tyree the last two years as well) do not go in at the same rate in the 2nd half, as they do in the 1st half for our high usage guys. Yet we keep having the same guys shoot them. Carr's open three from the corner was a great shot opportunity, but I knew it wasn't going in because he was exhausted.

I would love to see a pump fake, and dribble inside the circle for a pull-up jumper. I was so impressed with Hunter last night and his ability to shoot the ball over the 7 footers by not trying to take it all the way to the rim/into trouble. Also, love the way Boopie kept us in the game at the start of the 2nd half with the shots from just inside the foul line. Those are great shots. If the refs are as horrible as they were last night in calling contact under the basket (so one-sided in their foul calls, as they will be in Cameron and the Dean Dome, and probably in the Joel for half the games) then we need for Cam and Carr to practice and learn that skill from the two of them.

If we get Reid and when Monsanto come back, this is a team that no one will want to play. Let's just hope that some of the other ACC teams end up being good enough this year that Deacon win over them will help our RPI instead of hurt it (like playing Louisville last year did).

Adding Damari back to spread the defense while Cam and Hunter crash downhill is going to be exciting to watch. That also opens up the lob over the top to Marsh for his wheelhouse: crashing the rim for alley oops.

Notre Dame and Louisville are going to be absolutely terrible this year - arguably two of the worst power conference teams. There may be some gains on their end as the season progresses but I wouldn't count on it.

the season has barely started. what are we doing wrong? not 100% bad luck.
What we're doing wrong is failing to acknowledge that sports in 2023 means that you have to assume at least 25% of your players are going to be out "injured" at any point in time, and have the depth to backfill. "Well when we get _______ back" is code for our team sucks. Whether pro or college, players play much less now than they used to. Whether or not it is being overly cautious, it is reality. One guy comes back, another guy goes out. The good teams anticipate it and overcome it. The bad teams wait for ______ to come back.

Back