• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Utes - Thursday 9 pm - Charleston Classic Quarter-Final ESPNU

He’s gotten longer than most coaches would’ve gotten

A ridiculous statement. Totally ridiculous.

He inherited a dumpster fire. Not just a dumpster fire, but a dumpster fire within a dumpster fire. And then the first year was the Covid year. WTF do you do with that? Covid years I don't hold over anybody's head as a measure of much of anything-- success or failure.

Then he got us to NCAA bubble territory, and a lot of folks thought we were screwed to not get one.

Slight regression last year after losing the ACC POY and another guy to the draft.

This year we're starting with, if not a hand behind our back, then two hands with a couple fingers missing.on one hand.

Nothing has been ideal. I happen to like Forbes quite a lot as a coach and a person, but the jury is definitely still out. However, the NIL era is an entirely new era for CFB and CBB, and it remains to be seen how that pans out for a school like Wake. But it doesn't bode well for us. We can't expect to keep players we do develop, and have to hope that the transfers we get pan out. In that regard, I will say Forbes has played the transfer game extremely well.

Making the NCAA tournament seems to be a basic benchmark for any major conference coach. Our odds of making the tournament this season are already low (I think Numbers quoted them on another thread). How many more season do we give Forbes if we don't make the tournament this season? I would say he gets one more year to make the tournament. Curious what others think. Seems like some are ready to get rid of him now. Others seem very comfortable with the current state of the program. Sorry if this belongs on the credibility thread.
I think one more year would be valid. I feel like a lot of us are being pretty reactionary right now, but deservedly so. I’d let the season pan out a little more before we start hitting the panic button

The offense against zone tonight was inexcusable. There’s no way a team with this much guard talent should be that inept against it. And that’s been a problem since Forbes has been here. It’s hard to separate the fact that our tournament hopes are running on empty after only three games from the fact that our roster has been gutted by injuries.

This is a team with enough talent at full strength to win the ACC. It fucking sucks that we may not get to see it, but I’m still holding out hope that we will get all our guys out there.

Most coaches don’t have to completely start over from a decade of incompetence. The zone offense tonight when they went to 1-3-1 was inexcusable. I get why Carlson went off, but the offense failing I don’t get.
The good news, I suppose, is that WF will have plenty of practice attacking a 1-3-1; holy shit, if I’m a coach in the ACC, I’m trotting that out against WF coming out of a TO.

Although to be fair we had Keller, Cam, Sallis, Parker, and I believe MMM trying to attack that 1-3-1.

If we beat Towson & whoever we play Sunday - that leaves us with 7 homes games right after? If Damari comes back in time - that's solid potential for a 9 game win streak which could include wins over Florida, Rutgers & VT.

Season isn't over folks can we chill

A majority of the top 25 teams are OLD. Especially in the Covid era. Look at Utah - 3 seniors leading the group (multiple 5th year guys). And then combine that with who was playing minutes for us tonight….actually impressed with how we fought.

Yea, was looking at our roster the other day and our three best players are a junior, junior, and a senior.

eh - we're so deep into the transfer portal that we are old too
Wake team that played tonight is not that old. Carr is the only old. Cam and Sallis are true juniors. Keller and Canka are true sophs. Parker Friedrichsen and MMM are true freshmen. Boopie is a redshirt soph.
That is the eight guys available.

ETA:

Utah roster has 7 guys who are Sr, Gr or 5th year. Seven. Including Brandon Carlson.

Last edited:
Back