• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Utes - Thursday 9 pm - Charleston Classic Quarter-Final ESPNU

I'm not bitter at all

Bobi Klintman's radar was off again as the Cairns Taipans' two-game NBA tour ended with a crushing 134-93 loss to the Toronto Raptors.

The Raptors set up Sunday's win (Monday AEDT) with a dominant 38-17 opening quarter, the hosts also outscoring Cairns 30-10 in the final term.

NBL Next Stars recruit Klintman, who has his eyes set on being drafted in the NBA next year, went 3-of-12 from the field on the way to nine points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.

It came just five days after the 20-year-old Swede went 1-of-12 from the field in a 145-82 loss to the Washington Wizards.

Defense looks aloof, offense (meh), and transition is not really there especially on defensive side when turning the ball over. Only thing this team has proved is that they can hit FTs.

I appreciate and understand Forbes’ personal situation on the home front, but that doesn’t give him a pass on the court. As much as some of you like to throw Dino under the bus, at least he was able to fire players up (albeit a small bit). Since Skip/Dino, every team has just walked through the motions. Ironic, of the Wake-DePaul game, because both are now still stuck in the toilet bowl.

Super unpopular take- Dino is chronically under appreciated. I don’t care what anyone says- he could recruit and he won games. We never would be as fucked as we have been if we didn’t fire him when we did. Yet most people still think that was a good choice.

Since of you people seem to have forgotten just how truly awful we were after Redacted and Statue. It takes time. I hate that we can't get over the hump. But we really should have been in two years ago. And this season is young despite the hand wringing. In Forbes I trust. Rest of ya'll need some Xanax and perspective

Since of you people seem to have forgotten just how truly awful we were after Redacted and Statue. It takes time. I hate that we can't get over the hump. But we really should have been in two years ago. And this season is young despite the hand wringing. In Forbes I trust. Rest of ya'll need some Xanax and perspective

The part of this that I just don’t buy is that we have had talent. This isn’t football where you have to build a roster over years. We obviously had the ability to win the game last night and Utah isn’t exactly some juggernaut. We just squandered it away with piss poor play.

I’d wait for Florida game before we start saying the seasons over yall

Yeah I can’t wait to see what their bigs will do to us after what we saw from Carlson last night.

Forbes is definitely a solid coach and yes had some rebuilding to do.... Although in basketball it takes way less time than football (unless you're Mike Elko).

My biggest frustration with him is he does seem to get out coached in key moments of games. I was hoping that would change as he's been here longer but it doesn't seem to. For example, first half last night was perfect execution on defense and offense. We may not have been as big but we were definitely quicker and used that to our advantage with proper spacing and tempo.

Then in the second half Utah goes on a little run and we start doing hero ball which has become a part of wake bball unfortunately almost every game. Utah keeps moving the ball and moving away from the ball. Instead of calling a TO and nipping it in the bud, Forbes let's it play out and we have a tie ball game. Combine that with no adjustments for a zone defense, and a mind boggling lineup of MMM, Keller, Parker with carr and boopie on the bench at the six minute mark and now we're in a hole.

Forbes has succeeded at lower divisions of basketball by identifying and recruiting talent which he has continued to do here. Problem is at P5 level there's just as much talent. It's awesome that we're competitive again and I thank Forbes for that, but it just feels like some missed opportunities that are happening because of mediocre in game coaching

Perhaps I missed this but wasn’t Aaron Clark a 4 star? Is he injured, not ready or a miss?

It really doesn't take much time now with the transfer portal the way it is

A lot of bad defense in that second half. Utah seemingly did whatever they wanted - slip screens, simple cuts to the basket, easy entry passes deep into the post. Utah (namely that Carlson bastard) made some shots, but the defense just wasn't close to good enough, full personnel or not.

Super unpopular take- Dino is chronically under appreciated. I don’t care what anyone says- he could recruit and he won games. We never would be as fucked as we have been if we didn’t fire him when we did. Yet most people still think that was a good choice.
I somewhat disagree with this. Dino won because those teams just out-talented everyone and as he got further from Skip, recruiting waned. I think those teams won in spite of Dino, but because of him (and Teague’s podcast has pushed me more into that camp).

I do think it was a mistake to fire him when Wake did. That hurt the AD’s reputation and made replacing Dino with a quality coach hard. He a) should have been labeled interim for one season and then brought in a real coach and because we didn’t do that, he b) should have been given another season to show what he could do. I think that next season would have been a train wreck and then we had grounds to replace him.

Perhaps I missed this but wasn’t Aaron Clark a 4 star? Is he injured, not ready or a miss?
He’s a reminder of recruiting high school versus portal. There wasn’t a situation last night where he could have helped. Boopie didn’t see the court the final 5+ minutes. Another frosh guard wasn’t going to stop Carlson.
Funny how the defense was supposed to be much improved by being much longer. Sure seems like an assumption the NCAA would do Wake a favor was in the plans.

I've always said, the mistake was if you were going to fire Dino, you had to replace him with a better coach and we replaced him with about the worst choice we could make.

Clark was injured his senior year of HS, so I’d put him in the not ready bucket.

Back