• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Valley Wolverines - Tuesday 7 pm - ACCN+

There were definitely red flags, especially offensively, but the last place comment is comical.

BC got handled in their own gym by 351st Maine.
Louisville has lost to 244 Bellarmine, 202 Wright State, and 205 App State, all at home.
FSU has lost to 313 Stetson and 206 Troy.

Utah Valley was 141st going into last night. We looked bad for most of the night, but still got the win. We also have a win over a top 100 KP team already.

Pitt and Georgia Tech are also quite bad in their own right.

If we get last then something has gone seriously, seriously wrong.

There is no way Mark Madsen is oblivious to the Duke/UK epic game and that final play.

How in the world, almost like Pete Carroll in the super bowl not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch, do you NOT cover the inbounder/pass.

Everyone learned that from Duke/UK.

Thank you, goofy-ass Madsen.
Have to assume Forbes thought they would cover the inbounder with a tall guy, and this was plan B. I wonder what the play call was if that happened. Maybe run the baseline and try to get a clean throw off to Marsh?

Not worried about last place

very worried about making the NCAA tournament, as I was before the season started

Skeptical of NC State. Keatts teams often start well, and then fall apart. State started 6-1 last year. Last weekend, NC State v. Campbell was 69-67 with a minute to go.

Not worried about last place

very worried about making the NCAA tournament, as I was before the season started
Yeah this team is comfortably between these two spots right now IMO. Let's just keep getting better. Sitting with a 3-0 record sure feels a lot better than 2-1

Have to assume Forbes thought they would cover the inbounder with a tall guy, and this was plan B. I wonder what the play call was if that happened. Maybe run the baseline and try to get a clean throw off to Marsh?
I thought 2 plays going in:

1. Tyus Edney type pass into Appleby off of a screen in the back court moving towards our basket for a look at a runner. 3.3 seconds provided 3 dribbles, which with his speed would have been a decent look.
2. Valpo/Laettner type play if no defender on the inbounder.

Obviously the latter is what we got, and it was executed to perfection. As I said earlier in the thread: ALWAYS GUARD THE INBOUNDER.

Skeptical of NC State. Keatts teams often start well, and then fall apart. State started 6-1 last year. Last weekend, NC State v. Campbell was 69-67 with a minute to go.
They will absolutely suck. Keatts is a terrible coach and Smith will break records for shot attempts this season. Sure he will likely get hot and carry them in a few games (hopefully not against us) but he will shoot them out of twice as many.

But yeah the conference looks horrific this year.

Our offense looks best with Appleby driving and either getting the layup or dishing to Carr at the top or Davien at the wing. He also got Bobi one or two very open looks, and Carr several that he did not attempt. It would be pretty cool for Monsanto to get those opportunities. If we are playing a team that's shooting well, maybe we can put in our best shooter. Just an idea.

Speaking of which, Monsanto seems to be on a really short leash. The second he makes a mistake, he's on the bench. I'd like to see him play through some of those errors and find his game. I've watched the guys who are playing make plenty of mistakes and they stay on the court.

I expect this team to get better as the season goes on, particularly if we see that development from Bobi and Keller.

Our offense looks best with Appleby driving and either getting the layup or dishing to Carr at the top or Davien at the wing. He also got Bobi one or two very open looks, and Carr several that he did not attempt. It would be pretty cool for Monsanto to get those opportunities. If we are playing a team that's shooting well, maybe we can put in our best shooter. Just an idea.

Speaking of which, Monsanto seems to be on a really short leash. The second he makes a mistake, he's on the bench. I'd like to see him play through some of those errors and find his game. I've watched the guys who are playing make plenty of mistakes and they stay on the court.

I expect this team to get better as the season goes on, particularly if we see that development from Bobi and Keller.

Agree about Monsanto. Last night, it was the pass to Hildreth that looked to be about 20 feet higher than necessary that got him the hook.

But it is frustrating as hell to seem him take a few dribbles and know that a contested step back 3 is coming. And that it is likely going to hit the front of the rim.

In rhythm, the dude is a scary shooter. I'd love to see us run some things to get him open looks.

Shooting isn’t just some stat in a vacuum. We have question marks on offense for sure, but we forced them into a ton of bad shots and kept the intensity level high throughout. Woodbury in particular was on lockdown and had to force almost everything he took. So they had a guy shooting 11% from 3 taking 3’s. You can’t just say “oh we were lucky they didn’t shoot 35% from deep” when we executed on our defensive goals.

Darthard and Harmon are good players, and regardless of what he did last year Bandaogo is quick off his feet for a 7 footer. I always feel like the transition from football - where generally the better team wins over the course of an entire game - to basketball where any 100’ish Kenpom team can play well and beat just about anyone - causes lots of overreactions from fans.

We had a mediocre night generally, bunch of presses had near steals but bounced their way, they had a couple guys play great - and we still managed a win. This isn’t the bad omen game some are making it out to be.

Monsanto really needs to focus on his catch and shoot shots, not the 1v1 step backs. They almost never go in and they piss Forbes off to no end. If he eliminated those and hustled on D he'd get a longer leash and we need that.

If he did some of the drives that cam did I think forbes may fight him, but he leaves Cam in bc of the hustle on D and rebounding.

#42 Chipotle Cheese Steak is not so bad either.
J Mikes is king of the cold subs, but I don't think the hot subs are very good. Additionally, it's pretty damn hard to find a good cheesesteak anywhere. Putters is better than anywhere I've been in the Raleigh area.

Back