• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 30: GT - LJVM - Tuesday 9 pm - ACCN

It cannot be lost that this team suffered for two ridiculous BULLSHIT officiating situations that cost two key games, that non travel call last night is inexcusable. Fucking ridiculous. I’m tired of this shit! Also the offset bs techs at state. Wrong calls that cost two fucking games.

We lack defensive awareness. When a big goes to double , we never ever have someone slide in to cover the big we just left. It always results in a lay up or easy offensive rebound. It is so basic

It cannot be lost that this team suffered for two ridiculous BULLSHIT officiating situations that cost two key games, that non travel call last night is inexcusable. Fucking ridiculous. I’m tired of this shit! Also the offset bs techs at state. Wrong calls that cost two fucking games.
I mean, Carr pretty clearly slid on a major possession with under a minute left and no travel was called on him either.

teams have learned how to get their PGs open and driving the lane. we have not recovered.

We have been unable to defend any guard the last three games.

Maybe it's just all the minutes catching up to us, but we've been COOKED by Burton, Cattoor, George, and Kelly.

We lack defensive awareness. When a big goes to double , we never ever have someone slide in to cover the big we just left. It always results in a lay up or easy offensive rebound. It is so basic
Having bigs trying to double on the perimeter is just a recipe for an offensive rebound or open man. We try it every game and every game it breaks down.

Forbes won at East Tennessee because he could out recruit other teams. Can't do that in the ACC.

I mean, Carr pretty clearly slid on a major possession with under a minute left and no travel was called on him either.
That's an excellent point. I remember at the time that we absolutely got away with a travel there. The refs gifted us a travel to go ahead and they weren't going to grant us the clear travel to win the game. Overall I felt the officiating was absolutely in our favor. Just couldn't capitalize. Game should have been won at the four minute mark but blown layups and bad turnovers (boopie) kept us from surging.

Having bigs trying to double on the perimeter is just a recipe for an offensive rebound or open man. We try it every game and every game it breaks down.

Forbes won at East Tennessee because he could out recruit other teams. Can't do that in the ACC.
I think forbes has done about as good as anyone could do at wake... no top talent wants to play there over other acc schools, it just is what it is

I think forbes has done about as good as anyone could do at wake... no top talent wants to play there over other acc schools, it just is what it is
That's way wrong. Yes, if you are talking Duke and UNC. They recruit on another level.

No one else in the ACC recruits on a super-high level any more. That explains why the ACC is down, but to make it sound like WF recruits below BC, Clemson, GT, VT, Pitt and every other ACC program is misinformed.

Nobody has ever disputed anything you've said.

It's the peacocking around, look-at-me-isms that make him a caricature; hence, the ridicule.
That’s part of the package you may not like. But his supervisors like his % of correct calls & no calls in games. Especially as ACC supervisor Bryan Kersey has been quoted as saying his huge % correct in the last 4 minutes of conference games. His end game concentration is unparalleled.

Our shitty play in no way excuses the absolute hot garbage of ACC reffing. Maybe we get some respect as a conference if people actually enjoy watching the games and respect the result. No need to bootlick. We can have both covnersations.
Sure but you do realize these guys all call in about 6-8 conferences during the year, right?
Doug Shows had Duke @ State on Monday and had Florida beating Alabama last night. He is an “SEC” official primarily but calls everywhere.
Roger Ayers, also in Duke/State on Monday was out in the BG12 on Tuesday with Texas Tech @ OK St.

I rewatched that miserable game from last night and while none of this shit matters now, it is painfully obvious that we guard the ball too much in man D for it to be consistently effective. We need to better anticipate where players will try to go to find their spot instead of chasing the ball around. The amount of space it creates for the opposing team using basic dribble drives and swing passes is noticeable and if we are late on a switch (or if we hedge too far) there’s just too much ground for us to cover on close outs. I’m not sure why we haven’t done anything to fix it, but our spacing on defense is about as bad as I’ve seen. Recruit offense and teach defense isn’t working.

The game came down to three point shooting.

Last night, GT went 10 for 21 from three which was their 2nd best night from behind the arc in ACC play behind only their game against Duke. WF forced an ACC season high in 16 TOs from GT and GT only averaged 1.06 points for possession which is about average for an ACC team in a conference game despite GT shooting the lights out from three. Not sure, but would guess that when teams outscore their opponent by 18 or more points from three (GT 30 points; WF 12 points), they almost always win. That's just college basketball -- three point variance allows lesser teams to beat better teams on any given night. Explaining how GT beat UNC, Duke, Clemson and WF this season.

In Atlanta, GT shoots 3 for 24 from three and WF wins by 29, and everyone loves Forbes. Four weeks later, GT shoots 10 for 21 from three, and there are Forbes in or out threads and people claim WF 'quit". People hate the randomness of sports explanations, but this was a randomness of sports game.

The game came down to three point shooting.

Last night, GT went 10 for 21 from three which was their 2nd best night from behind the arc in ACC play behind only their game against Duke. WF forced an ACC season high in 16 TOs from GT and GT only averaged 1.06 points for possession which is about average for an ACC team in a conference game despite GT shooting the lights out from three. Not sure, but would guess that when teams outscore their opponent by 18 or more points from three (GT 30 points; WF 12 points), they almost always win. That's just college basketball -- three point variance allows lesser teams to beat better teams on any given night. Explaining how GT beat UNC, Duke, Clemson and WF this season.

In Atlanta, GT shoots 3 for 24 from three and WF wins by 29, and everyone loves Forbes. Four weeks later, GT shoots 10 for 21 from three, and there are Forbes in or out threads and people claim WF 'quit". People hate the randomness of sports explanations, but this was a randomness of sports game.
No it wasn't. I realize you're going to try to explain away every loss as some aberration. But we've had three straight losses now where the game was completely out of control for a significant period of time. Coaches react to those situations to cause the statistical anomaly to stop. In the end, the viewer only realizes that there is no more statistical anomaly. In reality, the coach impacted that to make it stop. This particular situation was even more alarming because the shots GT was getting in the first half were the result of ball reversals leading to pretty open shots. On the other end, our offense looked jacked. Even the commentators were talking about it. This was coaching.

In Forbes' defense, we came right out in the second half and got the ball into Carr and Reid. I recall Carr missed his shot or lost control and Reid made his. The problem is that this was wayyyyyy too late. This level of control should have occurred somewhere in the first 10 minutes of the game instead of letting the players play fast and loose resulting in iso offense and jacked up 3s. Also in Forbes' defense, we were way more active on D in the beginning of the 2nd half, i.e. pressuring them way further out. Again, this occurred too late. The combo allowed us to claw back into the game. But if it had been enacted earlier in the game, we wouldn't have been in a hole to begin with.

For those that are convinced this all falls on Forbes, go with that. Just amazing how this board waffles on him after each game. GT has now beaten UNC, Duke, Clemson and WF; those results have nothing to do with the randomness of sports, but Damon Stoudamire outcoached his adversary in each of those games. Also, when WF won each of its 18 games, including beating Duke 10 days ago, that was just the awesomeness of the WF roster.

For those that are convinced this all falls on Forbes, go with that. Just amazing how this board waffles on him after each game. GT has now beaten UNC, Duke, Clemson and WF; those results have nothing to do with the randomness of sports, but Damon Stoudamire outcoached his adversary in each of those games. Also, when WF won each of its 18 games, including beating Duke 10 days ago, that was just the awesomeness of the WF roster.

No, the lack of consistency is precisely the thing that is maddening about him.

Back