• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: @ The Wisconsin Badgers: Tuesday 9pm ESPNU

We need to 'confirm' this win by winning at Clemson (probably cost us the NCAAT last year).

• Appleby - answered the question about how he'd play against better comp. 32-4-5
  • Hildreth - say what you want, but the kid is willing to take the shot that matters. 15-7-2
  • Marsh - Every game might not be for him, but he clogs up the middle and knows how to dunk if you get him the ball. 8-9
  • Monsanto - If he trusts the offense he may be the difference between the NIT and the NCAA. Sometimes I think he feels like no one will pass him the ball again. I like his size, his defense (despite being considered a sharp shooter). He's the only player on the team that I feel like can go 0-10 and then hit 5 in a row. 13-2-3 with two steals. He brings more than 3 pt shooting.

The rest.
  • Clearly Carr is fundamentally sound.
  • Keller you can't put him in the 5 against as legit NCAA 5 yet
  • Bradford - He's 3 or 4 on the center depth chart
  • Klintsman - probably the most likely to develop over the season.
  • Davien - Looked rusty. He needs to be a knock down 3 pt shooter. When he's hot its great but 3 points tonight. I think on this team he's a 6th or 7th man.

When is the last time we won at Clemson?

Cam is a very hate-able type. Hate to say it but a wojo level.

ETA: While he makes me nervous, I'm impressed with his development and continued hustle from his frosh to soph year. I don't think he'll ever be the 'star' but he could be the annoying guy that makes the shot when the team in struggling or get that key rebound. I don't think there is a question that he's stepped up his game. I would love him to be a 90% FT shooter as I think he can go down low and draw fouls (yes he hit them tonight but I don't view him as automatic from the line).

Don’t talk to DonaldRoss. Forbes isn’t in his 30’s so how could he possibly be a good coach?
FFS. DR talks about hiring young coaches until you get a top 10 level coach and keep him for 20+ years. No one has suggested that a good coach must be under 30. 🤦‍♂️

We need to 'confirm' this win by winning at Clemson (probably cost us the NCAAT last year).

When is the last time we won at Clemson?

we last won at Clemson in January 2009. Teague had 24, JJ, AFA, LD all double figures

Teams came into that game combined 31-0 and both in the top 10.

Tyree Appleby played all 40 minutes and only turned it over 3 times. 32 points and 5 assists, including every single clutch shot and FT.

This was one of the most clutch performances for a Deac that I've seen in a quite awhile. Feels good to have a fun team to watch again this season. These guys look to have NCAAT talent.

we last won at Clemson in January 2009. Teague had 24, JJ, AFA, LD all double figures

Teams came into that game combined 31-0 and both in the top 10.
So around 13 yeas (I'm not doing the math). Certainly Forbes has all the talking points after losing last year and 'arguably' being the 1 game that kept us out of the NCAAT.

If I'm Appleby, 'I didn't come here to be in the NIT'.

I feel like we 'should' beat Clemson. We feel more balanced. Ty stood the test against real competition. Marsh looks like he understands his role. Monsanto is a get hot guy but plays tough defense to compensate when he's not one. Except for Davien the rest will be random good/bad nights.

Marsh had 8 and 9 in 24 min. The other four bigs combined had 7 and 8 in 52 minutes.

Marsh will continue to develop. You can bank on that. He just needed the PT.
The most outstanding feature of Marsh's game tonight was the feet and post D. We have not had that since Tim. Marsh had multiple stops WITHOUT EVER FOULING, contested shots, had several blocks, and then got the board. Good stuff to watch.

Wisconsin's defensive stats before and after playing the Deacs (tl;dr they got quite a bit worse):
  • 3 PT%: 23.4% #6 25% #9
  • Effective FG% 41.5% #13 44.4% #44
  • 2 PT%: 45.6% #74 48.9% #162 (!!)
  • Defensive efficiency: 89 #12 90.1 #17
  • Offensive rebound%: 24% #55 25.3% #71
  • Defensive possession length: #33 (in longest) #57

I would like the 'team' to identify the guy that gets hot and shut him down. We've had 3 games where someone lights us up. We need to make Monsanto into a Bruce Bowen type. Hits the 3 but also shuts down their guards.

Last point (ha), Monsanto reminds me of Soph Josh Howard. Talent but with a chip on his shoulder. Monsanto doesn't just sit out there waiting for his shot he plays at both ends. I think Josh was a more inside out guy, but clearly Monsanto would need to be an outside in guy.

Very last point. Season will tell, Wisc looks like a 'not pretty' NCAA team, this 'feel's' like our biggest win in 12? years. This was not a 'one guy gets hot, or the other team plays badly. UNC last year, I'm not sure we even got a quad 1 win for that. This felt like a legit quad 1 win on the road.

We've got dook, UNC and ND H/H and UVA at home. That could be 6 quad 1 shots. We must excel at the bottom and middle of the conf and win 3-4 of these games.

As a refresher, Q1 is defined as follows based on the NCAA’s NET rankings, which haven’t come out yet:

Home vs top 30, neutral vs top 50, away vs top 75

Q1 locks: vs Duke, @ Duke, @ UNC, vs UVA

Q1 probables: @ Rutgers, vs UNC, @ Notre Dame, @ Miami

Q1 possibles: @ Clemson, neutral vs LSU, @ State

Q1 long shots: @ Cuse, vs Virginia Tech

Counting tonight, I’d be shocked if we have less than 10 Q1 chances come selection Sunday. Win 4 and take care of games we should take care of and we’re dancing.

Back