• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: @ The Wisconsin Badgers: Tuesday 9pm ESPNU

I was told he’s “not quite ready.” I took that to mean at Wisconsin wasn’t an opportunity to work him back into the mix.

Yeah, when you haven't done any basketball activities in a month, it's one thing to play some minutes against SC State and Hampton... It's quite another to work yourself back into game shape @ Wisconsin.

It is kind of amazing that we won @ Wisconsin without a healthy Williamson or Ituka. Need Williamson's shooting and Ituka's ability to get to the basket when Appleby has an off game (and he'll have a bunch this year... he's a streaky player).

Ituka looked a little rough to me in the SC State and Hampton games. Not bad - but not quite ready for big game competition. Just looked rusty.

I was nervous as hell when Cam went to the line up 1. Major props to him for closing out the game with some huge shots and defense.

Damari still a little up and down but hit a huge 3 and that turnaround over Hepburn late in addition to some solid defensive plays.

Tyree well…you don’t see games better than that. Huge plays one after another down the stretch when everyone knew he would be the guy.

We owe Clemson in a big way.

And we owe Brad Brownell in a big way. I never want to lose to that $8 haircut again.

WF football is 1-11 over its last 12 games in Death Valley, which sucks but is understandable

WF basketball is 1-11 over its last 12 games in Littlejohn Coliseum, which just sucks

Yeah, when you haven't done any basketball activities in a month, it's one thing to play some minutes against SC State and Hampton... It's quite another to work yourself back into game shape @ Wisconsin.

It is kind of amazing that we won @ Wisconsin without a healthy Williamson or Ituka. Need Williamson's shooting and Ituka's ability to get to the basket when Appleby has an off game (and he'll have a bunch this year... he's a streaky player).
I said it last night, but we also won with Carr and Bobi having really off nights and going for a combined 3 points, 4 rebs, and 1 assist.

Bobi's development is a major key to the season, IMHO. I'm doubting he's ever going to be able to create his own offense this year against decent competition, but he could turn into a scrappy, poor man's Jamaal Levy type player. If he had Cam's tenacity/hustle, he'd make the all freshman team.

Great win, and the most exciting game for the Deacs that has resulted in a favorable outcome in a while. Just close all game. Appleby may not have a better game as a Deac. He was outstanding to say the least.

Monsanto was chucking at will, but I knew he was going to have to step up when we went down by 5 (damn near 7 if Wiscy guy hits that layup). He hit two big shots down the stretch.

Hildreth with a really clutch shot to give us the lead. Surprised he isn't called for 20 flops a game, but it has been nice to watch him develop. He doesn't shy away from the big moment and he knows his role for this team. His post-up game creates some issues for opposing defenses, and also opens up passing lanes.

Marsh with a solid game too, doing the things we kind of expected him to do this year-- just park under the hoop, take up space and position yourself for rebounds, get the occasional dunk or putback. If he could do that consistently and/or we could have Bradford do that, we would solve a lot of our problems. Cam loves feeding him the alley oop, and that's actually pretty important, as it means the defense can't just disregard him.

Williamson with a clutch 3 too. We will need him going forward.

Keller got experience and minutes. So did Klintman. Neither shined...still adjusting to the college game.

I like Carr, but he needs to add bulk in the offseason. Like 15 lbs minimum. His block was awesome.

I said it last night, but we also won with Carr and Bobi having really off nights and going for a combined 3 points, 4 rebs, and 1 assist.

Bobi's development is a major key to the season, IMHO. I'm doubting he's ever going to be able to create his own offense this year against decent competition, but he could turn into a scrappy, poor man's Jamaal Levy type player. If he had Cam's tenacity/hustle, he'd make the all freshman team.
He looks lost out there a lot of the time, but you see flashes in the way he moves. Dude can cover a lot of space in a hurry and is fluid, but he's still adjusting to the speed of the game and having difficulty anticipating.

Feels like we will need a lot from Bobi next year so I’m kind of fine with this being a transitional year for him to get some experience. That said, if he comes along more quickly than expected it could really elevate this team.

Monsanto is a hot and cold shooter, which you can live with, but he can’t combine that with bad fouls and losing his man on defense. There were at least two possessions yesterday where Monsanto took a contested jump shot early in the shot clock and then committed a foul on the other end, or missed a rotation and gave up a basket. He has to care as much about playing good defense as he does scoring.

Monsanto may have messed up a couple of times on D and gotten beat, but I thought he was excellent on that end overall, and has been among our best defenders and way more engaged the last five or so games, when his minutes have shot up. He's also at like 40+% on threes, which I would not have guessed just going by my feel for his year so far. But averaging 14+ in his last five, which seems more in line with pre-season expectation.

Sleep Forest? That’s painfully awkward and cringy. Between this and their defense maybe they really are trying to be just like Duke.

can't believe this is the first time I've (we've?) heard Sleep Forest. it's maybe just slightly better than the classic Weak Florist, which has to be one of the cringiest nicknames.

Back