• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: @ The Wisconsin Badgers: Tuesday 9pm ESPNU

Blucas and LaRue had unlimited range but were not as athletic as Monsanto

Monsanto is bigger too. He's got legit NBA size.

Wait you can get Bally on ESPN+ if you live outside of the market right? Why don’t y’all just get a secure VPN and watch through espn+? Probably cheaper that way plus you can leverage ESPN+ and a VPN for tons of shit.
Cause that just seems like a lot of work. I'm not really tech savvy. I like the ease of clicking on the app from my Roku or Firestick and watching.

Blucas and LaRue had unlimited range but were not as athletic as Monsanto
I don't know who Blucas and LaRue are (Rusty LaRue? think ik the name) but Monsanto isn't very athletic. Doesn't have particularly good bounce and isn't the quickest. Not like it's a big weakness or anything but definitely not a strength of his.

Man, the takes on Monsanto are just all over the place. Monsanto is actually very athletic. He's got awesome lateral quickness and great bounce. He skies for rebounds, IMHO. Maybe he can't windmill 360, but he can throw it down with ease. He's got plenty of athleticism.

Tim Duncan era - Blucas the beginning, LaRue the end.

The reason for bringing up Blucas and LaRue is they were guys that could shoot from anywhere in the gym. Monsanto looks like he has that range.

Marc Blucas - see th.e movie 'Summer Catch' where he is a supporting actor and does wear Wake gear. Also Knight and Day were Tom Cruise shoots him in the leg. Of course Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He has a story that goes, they had a pick up game with actors in Hollywood and they had no idea he was a former Div 1 basketball player until he lit them up.

Rusty LaRue - When he graduated he held 8 NCAA passing records, IIRC because Caldwell went to an offense that nearly passed on every down. After Rutland sore his ACL in the ACCT Championship game, Rutland got to play PG during our loss to KY in the NCAAs. He managed to make it to the NBA, eventually, was the backup PG on one of Jordan's championship teams (i.e. he has a ring). Played long enough to earn an NBA pension. Asst coach under Dino and Bzz, Manning let him go.

Sadly this just points out how old I am and that most of this happened before some of you were born.

ETA: Monsanto is way more athletic than either of them.

Yeah...Monsanto is certainly athletic which is why he's a pretty solid defender all around too. I'd imagine he's probably a top three on-ball defender on the team. He's also a good to great shooter who just needs to work on some shot selection.

Man, the takes on Monsanto are just all over the place. Monsanto is actually very athletic. He's got awesome lateral quickness and great bounce. He skies for rebounds, IMHO. Maybe he can't windmill 360, but he can throw it down with ease. He's got plenty of athleticism.
I attended every single home game he played in last year and one on the road. Saying he has awesome lateral quickness and great bounce is incorrect. He's a good rebounder because he jumps off two feet and typically is on the right side of his man. He's not jumping out of the gym. I would say Cam is slightly more athletic than post-injury Damari, but they're pretty comparable. Not the most athletic guys on the floor but by no means stiffs.

Yeah...Monsanto is certainly athletic which is why he's a pretty solid defender all around too. I'd imagine he's probably a top three on-ball defender on the team. He's also a good to great shooter who just needs to work on some shot selection.
Shot selection is clearly his biggest problem as a player and it's infuriatingly bad. However, what Forbes has said time and time again keeps him off the court is that he's a bad defender. Forbes has said it probably 25 times since the end of last season. He's improving defensively, which is probably why he's playing more, but he's not a top three on-ball defender on the team by any stretch of the imagination. When he has his feet set and shoulders square he is the single best shooter in the ACC, albeit extremely streaky. He's also a very good rebounder.

rusty larue is the unathletic three sport athlete that played in the nba and started at QB for the football team

He's a Wake grad computer nerd. Owns some franchise restaurant stuff around Winston. Has an NBA championship ring in his souvenir collection.

He was pretty good at throwing things. Basketballs through nets, baseballs past batters and footballs to his receivers. He held the NCAA record of 55 pass completions in a single game.

Career 3pt 43%. 151/348. Four wins in Cameron as a visiting player.

One of very few guys to play intercollegiate football, basketball and baseball in the same year.

I don't really have any insight into defensive metrics or anything, but just eye test he doesn't seem to get beat by his man that frequently and does a good job of keeping the ball in front of him.

ETA: I do believe he gives up a decent number of baskets by overpursuing off ball and not engaging his man when the ball isn't in his area.

I attended every single home game he played in last year and one on the road. Saying he has awesome lateral quickness and great bounce is incorrect. He's a good rebounder because he jumps off two feet and typically is on the right side of his man. He's not jumping out of the gym. I would say Cam is slightly more athletic than post-injury Damari, but they're pretty comparable. Not the most athletic guys on the floor but by no means stiffs.

So you're judging based on seeing him in person after he came back from checks notes an achilles(!) tear way faster than expected?

So you're judging based on seeing him in person after he came back from checks notes an achilles(!) tear way faster than expected?
I've watched him on TV this year too. Also watched a couple full ETSU games when he committed. He has a ton of talent as a shooter and good length which allows him to excel as a rebounder. Wouldn't say he gets beaten on defense because he's too slow or anything but yea I stand by my take disagreeing with a poster saying he was very athletic. Not like I'm giving some outlandish take based on nothing.

Small correction. Rusty wasn’t THE backup PG for the 1997-98 Bulls. He was the backup to the backup, Steve Kerr. Then later he backed up John Stockton.

Exactly. And he’s 25 lbs. lighter this year than last. Agree to disagree. He’s got plenty of athleticism, IMHO. Played AAU ball with someone with a similar build and jumping off two feet and snagging a rebound while being 6’6” can be a bit deceiving so I kind of understand the point being made, but there’s more to it than that. Doesn’t look like much because he’s not huge and he’s also not a small guy with a lot of bounce, but he’s probably got a 32-34 inch vertical. Not elite athleticism but saying he’s not very athletic or quick isn’t accurate. Same argument that people make with someone like a James Harden - he’s 6’5” with a 36 inch vertical. Sure, do people like Morant make him look like a stiff? Absolutely. But that’s relative. Damari has very good athleticism and I’m admittedly bias because I really like his game, but coming back the way he has from his achilles tear points to his athleticism, not a lack of it.

I'm thinking about the sweet baseline drive Monsanto finished with an up and under earlier this year, and there is no chance Cam could ever pull that off (though Cam is strong AF and moves well for his build)

I'm thinking about the sweet baseline drive Monsanto finished with an up and under earlier this year, and there is no chance Cam could ever pull that off (though Cam is strong AF and moves well for his build)
That was incredible. Definitely wouldn’t mind seeing more of that as teams overplay his 3 pt shooting.

Back