• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: @ The Wisconsin Badgers: Tuesday 9pm ESPNU

I attended every single home game he played in last year and one on the road. Saying he has awesome lateral quickness and great bounce is incorrect. He's a good rebounder because he jumps off two feet and typically is on the right side of his man. He's not jumping out of the gym. I would say Cam is slightly more athletic than post-injury Damari, but they're pretty comparable. Not the most athletic guys on the floor but by no means stiffs.
In fairness, he was a bit chunky last year and coming off an injury. In what little I've watched of him this year, he is moving better with the ball and physically doesn't even look like the same kid because of the weight loss. Now granted, he doesn't move much with the ball because he's usually shooting it. I have not watched him much on defense. I don't think he has really played all that much either until recent games.

Well, the Triad has over 3 million people and only recently did we get legitimate competition to Spectrum in the past year. I'm speaking for Davie and Forsyth counties. Apparently, AT&T has spent millions in laying fiber throughout the area. Once you get fiber, you will NEVER go back to broadband.

AT&T still hasn’t installed it on my side of town, despite literally going door to door to advertise it every year.

Monsanto was listed at 6-6/225 last year and this year. So is he 200 now or was he 250 then?

Marsh came in on the second Wisc free throw for obvious reasons.

Larue was at WF when I was in elementary school (and a child of Clemson fans) but I don’t think any actual WF fan should be ignorant of history. All WF fans should know Rusty Larue and know our history.

I'm thinking about the sweet baseline drive Monsanto finished with an up and under earlier this year, and there is no chance Cam could ever pull that off (though Cam is strong AF and moves well for his build)

Yeah Cam is plenty athletic but I’d put athleticism as a high skill set for Damari

Larue was at WF when I was in elementary school (and a child of Clemson fans) but I don’t think any actual WF fan should be ignorant of history. All WF fans should know Rusty Larue and know our history.
Larue was the guy that Vitale couldn't stop talking about during our games - I'm sure opposing fans got sick of it... He's a 3-sport athlete, Babay! And yet he still has a 4.0 gpa as a computer science major - incredible! (Yell that like 20 times a game in Vitale's voice and you get the picture)

3-sport athlete, 2 kids, and a 4.0 GPA. That day where Rusty set the all-time record for completions (and maybe passing yards) in a day and then came out an hour later and played in the first basketball exhibition game was amazing.

Tim Duncan era - Blucas the beginning, LaRue the end.

The reason for bringing up Blucas and LaRue is they were guys that could shoot from anywhere in the gym. Monsanto looks like he has that range.

Marc Blucas - see th.e movie 'Summer Catch' where he is a supporting actor and does wear Wake gear. Also Knight and Day were Tom Cruise shoots him in the leg. Of course Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He has a story that goes, they had a pick up game with actors in Hollywood and they had no idea he was a former Div 1 basketball player until he lit them up.

Rusty LaRue - When he graduated he held 8 NCAA passing records, IIRC because Caldwell went to an offense that nearly passed on every down. After Rutland sore his ACL in the ACCT Championship game, Rutland got to play PG during our loss to KY in the NCAAs. He managed to make it to the NBA, eventually, was the backup PG on one of Jordan's championship teams (i.e. he has a ring). Played long enough to earn an NBA pension. Asst coach under Dino and Bzz, Manning let him go.

Sadly this just points out how old I am and that most of this happened before some of you were born.

ETA: Monsanto is way more athletic than either of them.

Rusty also dunked that one time.

The hot takes about Damari are because sometimes he doesn't appear to put forth the effort.

He's a 2nd round NBA draft pick at this point and could make a good NBA career if he continues to improve.

The hot takes about Damari are because sometimes he doesn't appear to put forth the effort.

He's a 2nd round NBA draft pick at this point and could make a good NBA career if he continues to improve.
He has the kind of smooth athleticism where it can look like he’s not working hard.

If he wasn’t putting forth the effort regularly pretty sure Forbes would not be playing him this many minutes.

To me he looks like a second unit NBA 3 and D guy right now. IMHO, that would make him a second round pick. If he continues to add to his game, like that up and under move, and improves his ability to handle, drive and make some good passes, he could play himself into a late first round pick.

My take is that Monsanto has enough athleticism for it to not be an issue, but he's not a particularly great run-jump athlete. He's been a good defender this year though -- we switched him onto Wisconsin's best player down the stretch last game (moved Carr onto a little guy). Just based on practice dunks, Hildreth is probably a better fundamental athlete than Monsanto, but he's also much smaller. To state the kinda obvious, Monsanto's best skill is the ability to get a decent shot off at will because of his size, shooting mechanics and quick release.

e.g. his dunk here at 1:40 is not particularly impressive -- although that was when he was fresh of his achilles injury weighed a lot more than he does today.

If he can show he's a 3 and D guy, that will boost his NBA stock, but let's not forget not even Alondes was a 2nd round guy last year.

His on court demeanor and body language has changed dramatically since the first two games (this includes WSSU exhibition).

Monsanto looks noticeably more engaged to me in the last five (starting in Jamaica) and his minutes have jumped. I definitely think he was working through some stuff and was understandably distracted. Got to see his folks in Jamaica and has been solid on both ends since, but it still looks to me like he has another level offensively, so that's kind of exciting -- and between him and Ituka, you can see how our collective ceiling rises. But I also thought we had another level last year that we never got to, so yeah, gotta show it in the end.

Back