• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game XXVI: Georgia Tech @ LJVM - Saturday 5pm - ACCN

Maybe? I'd certainly try to stop Ty from getting into the lane. And I damn sure would try to make Damari put the ball on the floor. Not sure I'm worried about Ty beating me from deep.

Or maybe he's getting tired. Looking at 54% to 38% to 20% - tough to say fatigue is not AN issue, even if you don't believe it to be THE issue.

Here is the list of players in P6 conferences playing 95% or more of their team's minutes in conference play:

1. Ty Appleby, WF, 95.5%
2. Markquis Nowell, KSU, 95.2% (recent addition to the list)

I would think that if coaches thought it were a great idea for their best players to play 95% of the team's minutes, more would do it. Forbes himself tried to get Ty a breather against UNC, but we had a quick 0-6 run, and Ty was back in the game.

Nowell is also extremely important to his team. His O rating is steadily declining. Maybe it's because teams are focusing on him. Or maybe he's getting tired.
An issue, sure. But another trend in that data is his Attempts per Game ticking up. 4.8 to 6.8 to 6.7. Seems like shot selection and usage may be playing a part, as well.

Seems like it was 5-6 years of monthly installments of like $130K when they let him go. That probably expired a few years ago.

Regarding Appleby, he's trending towards his past 3 point accuracy historically, which isn't surprising. Tired legs may play a part in it, but he made basically all the FT's down the stretch, so he's not exhausted (I know jump shooting a 3 is "harder" than shooting a FT).

Ty's historical 3-point accuracy is higher than 20%, which is what he is shooting over his last 6 games. He's shooting 22% (12-54) over his last 8 games after shooting 50% (22-44) in the previous 8 games vs. ACC+RU+WI. Had he attempted 54 3's in those first 8 games, and missed all 10 of his additional attempts, he still would have shot 41% from 3 in those first 8 games. 41% to 22% seems like a negative trend.

Forbes himself said in the post-game with Stan and Dinger that he tried to get Ty a break, but UNC went on the 6-0 run, so he had to get Ty back in there.

So, I think Forbes would like to get Ty a break against GT if the opportunity presents itself.

I think he's just always been a streaky shooter - last year he had a 12 game stretch where he went 12/51 (23%), and that included a game where he went 5/8, so the other 11, he was 7/43 (16%).

I trust Forbes in believing he needs a rest for sure, but think his lack of making shots is just a combo of tired legs and streakiness.

I think he's just always been a streaky shooter - last year he had a 12 game stretch where he went 12/51 (23%), and that included a game where he went 5/8, so the other 11, he was 7/43 (16%).

I trust Forbes in believing he needs a rest for sure, but think his lack of making shots is just a combo of tired legs and streakiness.

cool, we agree

Ty's historical 3-point accuracy is higher than 20%, which is what he is shooting over his last 6 games. He's shooting 22% (12-54) over his last 8 games after shooting 50% (22-44) in the previous 8 games vs. ACC+RU+WI. Had he attempted 54 3's in those first 8 games, and missed all 10 of his additional attempts, he still would have shot 41% from 3 in those first 8 games. 41% to 22% seems like a negative trend.

Forbes himself said in the post-game with Stan and Dinger that he tried to get Ty a break, but UNC went on the 6-0 run, so he had to get Ty back in there.

So, I think Forbes would like to get Ty a break against GT if the opportunity presents itself.

I’m just glad Ty had enough energy to drop 35/11/7 on UNC Tuesday and set the all time ACC record for free throws made and his personal record for assists.

I know coaches at the college level do that a lot but I'll never understand why you'd go small against a smaller team.... Seems like you'd want to use your big guys as an advantage and just let them eat, right?
you do it when your best players are smaller as a way to get your best players on the court while minimizing the the rebounding and post defense consequences

I’m just glad Ty had enough energy to drop 35/11/7 on UNC Tuesday and set the all time ACC record for free throws made and his personal record for assists.

Right! even though his coach said he wanted to get him more rest. His coach seems pretty smart. I hope he is able to get him some rest.

Rest for Appleby is going to look like 37-38 minutes per game, instead of 40.

Forbes is basically, giving him a breather since he not only plays the entire game as our only ballhandler on the roster, but also plays really hard.

Which begs the question: does everyone play really hard? If no, why not?

Just gotta slap it and get after it.

The floor people. Jeez

Good points by NJ and BeachBum, but playing half the number of games and fewer minutes per game than 38 year old LeBron makes me not worry about 24 year old Tyree. Plus, Forbes said the same in his radio show - he's a 24 year old kid playing two games per week, so he's not worried.
I can see both sides but Tyree is going full steam for 37 minutes per game on both offense and defense. Can't say the pros are doing the same thing. Tyree is a different breed he just has such great energy but I do think it takes it toll at points during the game. Never seen anyone work as hard as that guy on both ends.

WTF - I get its a bad gt team vs a mediocre (record) wake but 5 PM ACCNet lists Syracuse vs Virginia (from 1/27) at 5 pm. Better be a mistake.

I got the same listing here in Concord Nc ..wonder if there are any ways to stream it if this is a black out

Ewing's Georgetown team won the Big East tournament that same week. Covid conference tournaments don't really count the same.
That same season, Oregon State made a crazy run winning P12 tourney and then run to Elite 8.

Back