• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami beats Dook!!

jh bitching about Duke getting calls in basketball never gets old

Just enjoyed a little light reading over at TDD. Nothing better than bitter, bitter Duke tears...

I know it was technically Oct 31st but it's close enough, that was a great start to November's "Screw Duke-vember"

May they lose every game they play in a horribly crushing or controversial way for both football and basketball. Plus, more importantly, may they lose out on their "guaranteed lock" basketball recruit.

Last edited:
Maybe Mike Perreria is wrong but he says it's irrelevant. Note that he was very critical of the whole process by the officials but said that part didn't matter.

I mean, I'm no rules official, but that doesn't make sense to me. The game can't end on a penalty to the defense, but it CAN end on a penalty to the offense. Once the receiving team takes possession of the kickoff, don't they become the offensive team? If the ref throws a flag for too many men on the field, Duke accepts the penalty, TD nullified, game over.

Someone with more knowledge of the rules tell me where I'm wrong.

I mean, I'm no rules official, but that doesn't make sense to me. The game can't end on a penalty to the defense, but it CAN end on a penalty to the offense. Once the receiving team takes possession of the kickoff, don't they become the offensive team? If the ref throws a flag for too many men on the field, Duke accepts the penalty, TD nullified, game over.

Someone with more knowledge of the rules tell me where I'm wrong.

Because it didn't affect the play (ruling would be different he he came out throwing blocks) it's treated like a dead ball foul. Dead ball fouls are enforced on the next play. Because the clock is at zero there is no next play.

It's somewhat similar to a player celebrating before scoring a TD. For a year or so college allowed that penalty to be enforced at the spot of the foul but have since changed it to dead ball enforcement.

Reff or someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong.

The refs making all those mistakes makes it even more fun to imagine how Duke fans are handling it.

Because it didn't affect the play (ruling would be different he he came out throwing blocks) it's treated like a dead ball foul. Dead ball fouls are enforced on the next play. Because the clock is at zero there is no next play.

It's somewhat similar to a player celebrating before scoring a TD. For a year or so college allowed that penalty to be enforced at the spot of the foul but have since changed it to dead ball enforcement.

Reff or someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah the blocking penalty would have ended the game with a dook win but the man on the field would have been enforced on a not-happening PAT or KO

Last edited:
So when the ref originally said there would be an untimed down after the block in the back, was he wrong? Should that be game over?

Now THAT is what Duke Football is SUPPOSED to look like.

One day things will be back to normal. Also, 8 laterals and by my count 7 pancake de-cleater blocks - lmao.

I feel no pity for Duke, but that was maybe the worst job of officiating I've ever seen and being a Wake fan I've seen bad officiating. I guess seeing that happen to Duke was the pick me up I needed after Friday night. Now if only UNC can get screwed that hard somewhere down the line.

Officiating crew and replay guy suspended: http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

Seems harsh on the replay guy, maybe all replay guys should be suspended because they're awful. Most egregious mistake was how they handled waving off the block in the back

I don't see how's that harsh, he's the one that got to sit up there and watch it over and over again, I blame him more than the on-field guys that only got to see it in real time.

Officiating crew and replay guy suspended: http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

Seems harsh on the replay guy, maybe all replay guys should be suspended because they're awful. Most egregious mistake was how they handled waving off the block in the back

That's the issue that the ACC said was handled properly, lol.

The missed block in the back happens all the time, I'm sure, and the on field refs can't always insure that they'll catch everything.

That really leaves the replay guy not reversing the knee not being down call. Meh, so he determined he didn't have a full view of the knee and ball and couldn't say 100%. I'd be pissed if I were Duke, but that happens a lot. I agree with you wsc that the seeming review of a penalty was biggest issue, and that was okayed by the ACC. So there are just human failings -- inherent in refs -- left to pin the misses on (as opposed to rules being broken). Not as egregious as it could've been.

This is simply one more example of just how God-awful bad ACC officiating has been and continues to be. The only difference is that this game's clown-show was highlighted nationally and the ACC actually had to respond.

It's clear that many of these officials simply do not understand what constitutes pass interference. That last Duke drive was just comically bad with a flag on almost every pass.

Hopefully Swofford will clean up the mess but I doubt anything will ever be done to fix the situation.

Back