• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami beats Dook!!

That's the issue that the ACC said was handled properly, lol.

That really leaves the replay guy not reversing the knee not being down call. Meh, so he determined he didn't have a full view of the knee and ball and couldn't say 100%. I'd be pissed if I were Duke, but that happens a lot.

Isn't that basically the same thing as a fumble? If the ball was in that position, clearly coming out but perhaps touching his hand simultaneously with the knee going down, wouldn't the play stand on review no matter which way it was called? Or is the applicable rule the basketball replay rule on a last second shot that it has to be off the fingertips at 0.0?

With the ref-conducted 3 pass interference drive Duke got for the go-ahead score (saw no replays of the calls)- a drive that included a stoppage of play over and above the clock stoppage on the first down at 20 seconds remaining (where Boston College blew it against Wake), and maybe even a favorable call on the score - Duke complaints about refs are Meh as stated.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at KingW, but if his knee were down while he still had control of the ball then he's down and the game is over. If you're saying it's a very close call as to whether he still had "control" when his knee touched -- and I haven't seen much discussion of that angle -- then I agree with you. The ball was "loose" b/c it hit the ground before being picked up by another player. I think this issue is closer than the ACC and the Dookies think it is, and is within the realm of honest uncertainty.

If that had happened to us we'd be suicidal right now.

With the ridiculous standard that seems to be applied to most calls to overturn them on replay, was that any more indisputable than any other calls we see not get overturned?

Officiating crew and replay guy suspended: http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

Seems harsh on the replay guy, maybe all replay guys should be suspended because they're awful. Most egregious mistake was how they handled waving off the block in the back

•The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.

If the ACC office believes that the Miami guy was down, could they 'award' Duke the victory? I despise Duke, but if that had been us, I would expect and want the ACC to award us the victory. Btw, Duke fans, now you know how we and the rest of the ACC feels during basketball season.

What about them not having a clear goal line view of Duke's last TD. I am not sure that he truly scored, but the evidence was not there because of the poor angle.

•The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.

If the ACC office believes that the Miami guy was down, could they 'award' Duke the victory? I despise Duke, but if that had been us, I would expect and want the ACC to award us the victory. Btw, Duke fans, now you know how we and the rest of the ACC feels during basketball season.

It they do, I fully would expect them to at least allow Wake and Louisville to replay the Orange Bowl from 2006. There is NO WAY that Rich Belton's knee wasn't down on that fumble.

Yeah. Awarding Duke the game opens a massive can of worms. You could argue that it "should" happen if you really want to, but it won't.

Officials are a part of the game. Bad calls are a part of the game. Bad calls are redressed by disciplining the officials, not by changing the results of a game. Victory is declared when time expires and the teams leave the field. As VaDeac says, changing a result would open a huge can of worms and no one wants to go there.

I'm going with my Dad to the Duke-UNC game at Kenan on Saturday. Should be interesting.

Officials are a part of the game. Bad calls are a part of the game. Bad calls are redressed by disciplining the officials, not by changing the results of a game. Victory is declared when time expires and the teams leave the field.

And the irony is that I can't count the number of times over the years that we've all been told some version of this after Duke basketball games.
So y'all will have to forgive me if I don't get too hot and bothered over this.

Duke got screwed but they still gave up the return, so it's not like they didn't play a part in it. If they'd gotten one the Cane players that had the ball at one time or another to the ground the officiating screw up wouldn't even matter.

And yes if it had happened to us I'd have gone postal.

It they do, I fully would expect them to at least allow Wake and Louisville to replay the Orange Bowl from 2006. There is NO WAY that Rich Belton's knee wasn't down on that fumble.

And we'll get to replay the last 50 seconds of our 1975 first round ACC Tournament game against UNC. There is absolutely no way Schellenberg's pass hit that scoreboard.

I disagree because
1. It was the LAST play of the game
2. Since the replay official is suspended for 2 games, the ACC obviously feels that he was wrong and should have called the Miami guy down. If he had done that, the game ends and Duke wins.

Don't get me wrong, again I despise Duke, but they should be declared the winner of last night's game imo. Also, I always thought the idea of replay was to get the call right. If this type of error happens with replay, one could argue why have replay? (Wow, I hate siding with Duke on anything, but again what if it was us? GO DEACS!)

Edited to add, wanting to replay games from 9 and 40 years ago, if serious, is totally ridiculous. Let it go. This happened last night. I don't think anything should be replayed, just corrected since it was the LAST play of the game.

Last edited:
I disagree because
1. It was the LAST play of the game
2. Since the replay official is suspended for 2 games, the ACC obviously feels that he was wrong and should have called the Miami guy down. If he had done that, the game ends and Duke wins.

Don't get me wrong, again I despise Duke, but they should be declared the winner of last night's game imo. Also, I always thought the idea of replay was to get the call right. If this type of error happens with replay, one could argue why have replay? (Wow, I hate siding with Duke on anything, but again what if it was us? GO DEACS!)

If it was us, the conference should award the game to us. But it's Duke. So they shouldn't.

Back