• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami beats Dook!!

And we'll get to replay the last 50 seconds of our 1975 first round ACC Tournament game against UNC. There is absolutely no way Schellenberg's pass hit that scoreboard.

i want this only to see a bunch of 60 year olds playing hoops with all the rules

This was posted on the other board. I didn't realize this and if it is true would explain some of the apparently obvious calls that don't get overturned.

Regarding what we get to see that is definitive, the crew may not have access to those same tools. The thing to remember is that the replays are reviewed at full speed, no slow-mo, no still frames. We get that on TV but not in the review process. The replay crew can zoom to portions of the replay and hit forward-reverse focused on a segment but that is it. Makes a HUGE difference in what they see and what joe public gets to see on TV or an Instagram still shot.

Why the hell can't they slow it down? What's the point of replay then?

Not reviewing plays in slow motion is beyond dumb. That's next-level stupid. No way that's true. I mean, maybe there's a technical snafu or whatever, but as a rule? Nope.

The officials were horrid most of the second half. Miami did themselves no favors, but they seemed to get the Cameron Indoor treatment towards the end of the game. Officials lost control of the game. The return was a game deciding play, but there are game deciding plays every week every where officials blow something. Last night is clearly under the microscope and makes the league look bad nationally. That's why the officials are getting a sabbatical mid-season.

Replay still has a bunch of flaws. How can there not be technology in place in every damn stadium in the country to affirm that the ball crosses the invisible plane of goal line? Technologically speaking, it would be simple, yet there doesn't even appear to be cameras down the goal line half the time. On Duke's last driven I don't know if he breaks the plane or not, but the play surely seemed at least questionable and TV never showed a clear angle.

The only way this would be more enjoyable would be if it were UNC on the losing end.

And were that to happen, you can bet your bottom dollah they would've found a way for the TD not to count

7How can there not be technology in place in every damn stadium in the country to affirm that the ball crosses the invisible plane of goal line? Technologically speaking, it would be simple, yet there doesn't even appear to be cameras down the goal line half the time. On Duke's last driven I don't know if he breaks the plane or not, but the play surely seemed at least questionable and TV never showed a clear angle.

noticed this myself. the official straddles the goal line, but every camera angle seems offset a couple yards one way or the other. Maybe the officials should wear cameras on their glasses.

I think I know one guy from Duke on Facebook and he's being a whiny child.

Duke got screwed by the refs? There really is a first time for everything.

I disagree because
1. It was the LAST play of the game
2. Since the replay official is suspended for 2 games, the ACC obviously feels that he was wrong and should have called the Miami guy down. If he had done that, the game ends and Duke wins.

Don't get me wrong, again I despise Duke, but they should be declared the winner of last night's game imo. Also, I always thought the idea of replay was to get the call right. If this type of error happens with replay, one could argue why have replay? (Wow, I hate siding with Duke on anything, but again what if it was us? GO DEACS!)

Edited to add, wanting to replay games from 9 and 40 years ago, if serious, is totally ridiculous. Let it go. This happened last night. I don't think anything should be replayed, just corrected since it was the LAST play of the game.

1990 Colorado. 5th down game.

As another poster said.... Can of worms issue. Not that I agree with it. I'm still sour about MLB not awarding Gallaraga a perfect game.

1990 Colorado. 5th down game.

As another poster said.... Can of worms issue. Not that I agree with it. I'm still sour about MLB not awarding Gallaraga a perfect game.

Ah yes, I remember watching a replay of that game and I hadn't heard anything about the controversy. Iirc, Colorado spiked the ball to stop the clock on what should have been 4th down, but the officials thought it was 3rd down, so the Buffs got a '5th down' and went on to win the game. I wouldn't had a problem if the Big 8 (I think) would have awarded that game to Missouri, but I understood why they didn't.

What makes this different imo is that it was the LAST, repeat LAST play of the game. There's not a question of "we'll never know what would have happened different on the next play or plays if that call had been right". The game would be over and Duke would win. Not that big of can of worms imo.

I'll say this: If this happens to us one day, I don't want to hear any bitching or complaining from those who think reversing a win is opening up too big a can of worms. I'll bitch and complain enough for all of us together. And I agree with you that Gallaraga should be awarded a perfect game. After all, he certainly pitched a perfect game and it wasn't his fault that umpire Jim Joyce fucked it up.

Edited to add, if the ACC allows Miami's victory to stand, I'm not going to be upset. If something like this had to happen, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving fanbase than Duke's. Well, maybe Carolina too. If Duke's fans are upset, that puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Clemson losing in this manner in the ACC title game after an undefeated season would be more enjoyable IMHO.

Considering who their opponent looks to be in the ACCCG, you're dead wrong.

The ref who missed the knee being down is the same ref who missed the call a few seconds earlier when Duke was awarded a td. The lack of a goal line camera was the excuse for no overturn, and I accept that from a screwed up ACC. But no way the qb crossed the goal line. Both teams got screwed. Game ended as it should.

You don't have to go back to whatever game from however many years ago to find the can of worms. How does it make sense to review the calls/non-calls in the last play from scrimmage without reviewing the 23 penalties (194 yards) called on Miami in the rest of that game, including 3x PI for 30 yards (and one negated interception?) on the Duke drive that ended with an unclear TD giving them the lead with 6 seconds that they couldn't hold on to?

You can argue "but this one would really have decided the game because it would have been dead ball with 0 seconds" but I don't see how that's the line to draw. Officials make bad calls both ways, but you only review the ones that could change the result in favor of Duke?

Back