• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami beats Dook!!

No way you change the rule to overturn game results, postgame. It would start with ones like this and the CU 5 downs, but would open the door to all kinds of bad arguments. Remember, replay was only suppose to be a quick look and overturn obvious bad calls. Now they are overturning block in the back penalties and other subjective stuff. Once you open up results to postgame review, it quickly become a total CF.

Just to be clear, they didn't use replay to overturn the block in the back call.

Yeah, in some form. They picked the flag up after discussion in the huddle, not based on replay. Or so the story goes!

I would be pissed if it happened to us but responses right now regarding "change if a game can be overturned after it is final" are emotionally charged and not logical. It makes the last play of the game more important than any other play because it would be the only play that could result in the final score being overturned afterwards. It's inanely dumb that triangle media people are advocating for it but not surprising at all given that they're all so far on their knees for Duke football right now that they can't think about anything else except vindicating their precious little blue devils. It's sickening and quite frankly bad journalism

Correct me if I'm wrong, but had the replay official got it right and ruled the Miami player's knee down with possession of the ball, the TD would have been overruled, the game would be over, and Duke would have won. There wasn't any time left for Miami to run a play from their 30-whatever yard line. What's not logical about that?

I think some on here are letting their hatred of Duke get ahead of doing what's right.

What's "right" is having the officials call the game and declaring a winner, contemporaneously with the playing of the game. The officials are the final arbiter. It's written that way in the NCAA rulebook, and it's there for a reason. Reversing the final decision of the referees would unhinge the entire validity of officiating and open it up to political machinations coming into play with committees and administrators after the fact, all of whom have dogs in the fight. No thanks. Do you want "the ACC" to make the final judgments on games after they've been played? The officiating is often the worst way of deciding a contest, except for all the other alternatives.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but had the replay official got it right and ruled the Miami player's knee down with possession of the ball, the TD would have been overruled, the game would be over, and Duke would have won. There wasn't any time left for Miami to run a play from their 30-whatever yard line. What's not logical about that?

I think some on here are letting their hatred of Duke get ahead of doing what's right.

There are no circumstances under which it is going to make sense to overturn the final result of a game based on one or more bad calls. No matter how much it hurts, or seems unfair, bad calls are simply part of the game. Replay is supposed to give us the opportunity to fix many of them during the game, but, once the game is over, it is over.

I remember the year in basketball when Wake got screwed by two last minute calls - one that awarded a field goal to the other team even though it was released just after the final buzzer and the other that awarded the other team a 3-pointer even though replay showed the shooter's toe to be on the line. This was before instant replay so they couldn't be fixed during the game. But, it was obvious after the fact that we got screwed and should have won the game. Did anyone start a movement to have the results of the games overturned? Hell no.

It is so perfect that it is only when it is Duke that has been wronged that now people are trying to argue that the game result should be reversed. Ridiculous concept.

What's "right" is having the officials call the game and declaring a winner, contemporaneously with the playing of the game. The officials are the final arbiter. It's written that way in the NCAA rulebook, and it's there for a reason. Reversing the final decision of the referees would unhinge the entire validity of officiating and open it up to political machinations coming into play with committees and administrators after the fact, all of whom have dogs in the fight. No thanks. Do you want "the ACC" to make the final judgments on games after they've been played? The officiating is often the worst way of deciding a contest, except for all the other alternatives.

The officials decided who won the game after the entire game had been played, not exactly contemporaneously. They came to a conclusion, then stopped short of announcing it while the considered further, thus proving that it's all a matter of degrees here.

Last edited:
There are no circumstances under which it is going to make sense to overturn the final result of a game based on one or more bad calls. No matter how much it hurts, or seems unfair, bad calls are simply part of the game. Replay is supposed to give us the opportunity to fix many of them during the game, but, once the game is over, it is over.

I remember the year in basketball when Wake got screwed by two last minute calls - one that awarded a field goal to the other team even though it was released just after the final buzzer and the other that awarded the other team a 3-pointer even though replay showed the shooter's toe to be on the line. This was before instant replay so they couldn't be fixed during the game. But, it was obvious after the fact that we got screwed and should have won the game. Did anyone start a movement to have the results of the games overturned? Hell no.

It is so perfect that it is only when it is Duke that has been wronged that now people are trying to argue that the game result should be reversed. Ridiculous concept.

To be clear, once the game was over, the officials had 10 minutes to reassess it. I understand that your point is that it's the officials who declare when it is OVER.

It makes no sense at all to only permit the game results to change if there is a clear cut missed review on the final play of the game. It means that there is only one time all game you can ever overturn a blatant missed call and disproportionately places importance on that play and call compared to all others. The reason it could only be the last play of the game to change the result is that if its not the last play of the game the actual play on the field could change the results.

It makes no sense at all to only permit the game results to change if there is a clear cut missed review on the final play of the game. It means that there is only one time all game you can ever overturn a blatant missed call and disproportionately places importance on that play and call compared to all others. The reason it could only be the last play of the game to change the result is that if its not the last play of the game the actual play on the field could change the results.

This post makes no sense at all to me. I mostly lurk and don't post as much as others because I don't have the time to post 32,000+ times and I don't think I own this board as others think they do. Oh well, I guess I'll just be quiet for awhile and let the 'owners' have at it. As Jeffrey says at the end of each home game, "And as always, GO DEACS!"

So if you get screwed over by a call that if reversed would give the opponent the ball at their own one yard line for one untimed play they should let stand but if it ends the game they should reverse it?

So if you get screwed over by a call that if reversed would give the opponent the ball at their own one yard line for one untimed play they should let stand but if it ends the game they should reverse it?

It depends. Which one of the teams in your hypothetical is Dook?

My favorite thing I saw was that the ACC offices say that the NCAA has a precedent that end of games aren't over turned, but Miami has the ability to forfeit the game and do the right thing. So a school that is known to go to any lengths to win is going to voluntarily forfeit a game!

This post makes no sense at all to me. I mostly lurk and don't post as much as others because I don't have the time to post 32,000+ times and I don't think I own this board as others think they do. Oh well, I guess I'll just be quiet for awhile and let the 'owners' have at it. As Jeffrey says at the end of each home game, "And as always, GO DEACS!"

Uhhh alright have a nice day then. Seems like an odd post and topic to resort to ad hominem attacks over but have a good one.

and hopefully took a shit at midfield
Najeh Davenport says hello.

Exactly. Ludicrous to think the result of the game would be overturned after the teams have left.
And F you Laron Profit and CC Harrison.

My favorite thing I saw was that the ACC offices say that the NCAA has a precedent that end of games aren't over turned, but Miami has the ability to forfeit the game and do the right thing. So a school that is known to go to any lengths to win is going to voluntarily forfeit a game!

The ACC really said that? And even if Miami did forfeit, aren't forfeits usually treated as different than an actual win? In basketball, where teams have forfeited games for using ineligible players, it doesn't change the W-L record of the teams. I remember when Wake lost to VT in bball back in the '80s but they used an ineligible player. So they had to forfeit but it didn't change our record. And we had to forfeit a game because Charlie Harrison played a game the night before he was technically eligible. We won on the floor but had to forfeit. It didn't change anything.

duck fook.... their big dork QB Sirk was stopped short of the goal line on the previous drive and was awarded the TD anyway by these same incompetent officials- let's call it a "push" on these two bad calls. Karma was served.

duck fook.... their big dork QB Sirk was stopped short of the goal line on the previous drive and was awarded the TD anyway by these same incompetent officials- let's call it a "push" on these two bad calls. Karma was served.

What is it about Duke? They always seem to have a tall dorky center in basketball and now they seem to be having the tall dorky QB in football, their backup is almost a carbon copy of Sirk. I don't want anybody to really get hurt, but I hope we ring his bell a few times when we play them.

The ACC really said that? And even if Miami did forfeit, aren't forfeits usually treated as different than an actual win? In basketball, where teams have forfeited games for using ineligible players, it doesn't change the W-L record of the teams. I remember when Wake lost to VT in bball back in the '80s but they used an ineligible player. So they had to forfeit but it didn't change our record. And we had to forfeit a game because Charlie Harrison played a game the night before he was technically eligible. We won on the floor but had to forfeit. It didn't change anything.

Yeah Miami is going to forfeit, lol!!!!!! Seriously, it shouldn't be their place to do that over an officiating screw-up anyway.

Back