• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami's coaching search

I like this guy. It's sad how much I'm rooting for Miami to hire a good coach. The reality is if they make a legit hire, there is room in the top four for them every year. We could be looking at an ACC in which the top of the league is consistently UNC, Duke, FSU, and Miami.

The ACC could use some of the controversy that a guy like Martin is going to bring.

I'm surprised how convinced some of you are that Miami can be near the top of the ACC. They haven't shown anything that leads me to believe they will be a consistent performer. They should definitely be more competitive, though.

Virginia, Georgia Tech, Maryland all have much better means to reach the top of the ACC imo, with a good coach.

I'm surprised how convinced some of you are that Miami can be near the top of the ACC. They haven't shown anything that leads me to believe they will be a consistent performer. They should definitely be more competitive, though.

Virginia, Georgia Tech, Maryland all have much better means to reach the top of the ACC imo, with a good coach.

If Miami has a good coach, they can surpass everybody else who doesn't.

Ok. If your premise is: ACC coaches are weak right now (I tend to agree) then yes in the short term, you are correct.

I was thinking about the potential of each job if they had a good coach - we will see with Bennett and Gregory. Gary does have a national championship... arguments can be made either way about his approach post 'ship.

UW-Milwaukee coach Ron Jeter interviewed last night.

Jeter's name might not be high on anyone's wish list, so why did he get the preliminary call? Because Miami's new AD is Shawn Eichorst, who got a chance to observe Jeter up close when he was deputy AD at Wisconsin. Jeter is a branch from the Bo Ryan coaching tree, so he more or less starts from a position of underrated efficiency just like his mentor.

Ok. If your premise is: ACC coaches are weak right now (I tend to agree) then yes in the short term, you are correct.

I was thinking about the potential of each job if they had a good coach - we will see with Bennett and Gregory. Gary does have a national championship... arguments can be made either way about his approach post 'ship.

Well in this environment, ACC schools getting a good coach is a big "if".

I think Gary is probably holding MD back at this point in his career/attitude towards recruit.

Definitely.

He's a hell of an in game coach, but that program should be much better than it is.

Where do you rank the Miami coaching job in the ACC? If you have them higher than 10th or 11th then you're doing it wrong.

It's definitely Miami or BC vying for 12th, IMHO. Miami is probably slightly better just because of their notable football profile and local talent base.

It's definitely Miami or BC vying for 12th, IMHO. Miami is probably slightly better just because of their notable football profile and local talent base.

Boston is a bad talent base?

Where do you rank the Miami coaching job in the ACC? If you have them higher than 10th or 11th then you're doing it wrong.

12th easily. But when you include history, you're accounting for all the coaches they've had before them. No way Duke would be the 2nd best ACC job if not for hiring great coaches. And no way Miami would be one of the best ACC jobs if not for the coaches they've had.

So you can't separate the job from the coaches. Right now, FSU is a solid top 4 ACC program and it's not because they have top 4 history and it's not even because they have a great coach. It's because the other coaches are so poor. If FSU can put together 3 straight top 4 seasons, surely Miami can.

12th easily. But when you include history, you're accounting for all the coaches they've had before them. No way Duke would be the 2nd best ACC job if not for hiring great coaches. And no way Miami would be one of the best ACC jobs if not for the coaches they've had.

So you can't separate the job from the coaches. Right now, FSU is a solid top 4 ACC program and it's not because they have top 4 history and it's not even because they have a great coach. It's because the other coaches are so poor. If FSU can put together 3 straight top 4 seasons, surely Miami can.

FSU has been to as many Final Fours as Wake. Hugh Durham baby!

You think Miami is worse than BC?

Agree to disagree.

But, I do agree with your general point. The ACC is wide open past UNC and Duke. It has nothing to do with the potential of programs because many athletic directors (ours included) are making poor hires that will leave the potential untapped.

They've had the recent results, but that program isn't any better than 8th best in the ACC. A nice little 3 year run doesn't change all of their other disadvantages when you compare them to UMD or GT.

Yep. That's my point. Everything is up in the air. The hires made now could determine the next 10 years of ACC hoops. Everybody's got a shot to make it to the top 4. FSU has taken advantage of it. Clemson may do the same.

By the way, BC over Miami based on history, NE vs. FL recruiting, and the popularity of basketball in general.

Yep. That's my point. Everything is up in the air. The hires made now could determine the next 10 years of ACC hoops. Everybody's got a shot to make it to the top 4. FSU has taken advantage of it. Clemson may do the same.

By the way, BC over Miami based on history, NE vs. FL recruiting, and the popularity of basketball in general.

Without some serious sustained success (multiple FFs and some ACC titles), I don't see how they pass the teams ahead of them. NC State has been completely irrelevant both nationally and in the ACC for more than 20 years and yet they're still a better program than FSU.

Back