• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Petersen leaving Wake for North Texas

Coach Petersen is a good man, a great interview and a tireless recruiter. He may not have gotten the Deacs over the hump, but at least he made them entertaining and he was clearly passionate about his players and Wake Forest. I remember one interview he had to cancel on me so he called me from a recruiting trip, while he was driving in DC traffic. Maybe we'll get the full story about why he left -- a possible extension, tension with the AD, the "culture" at the school, difficulties in recruiting to Wake -- or perhaps he did just want a new challenge.

Regardless, wish him the best, and hopefully Wellman can make a pragmatic hire more in line with Tom Walter than Jeff [Redacted].

Good luck to Coach Peterson. He certainly left the program better than he found it.

What do you have against the women? Besides they already know how to wear their socks.

http://www.meangreensports.com/medi...B_MENU_ID=&SPSID=9129&SPID=565&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Absolutely GREAT comment from the NT AD at the 2:50 mark. He says that Mike left Wake "mostly because of the Athletic Director." It's official! Wellman ran him off! At least that's the story from this unconfirmed report - on video...

I don't know if that was a dig on Wellman or if it was a joke b/c Villarreal & Peterson once worked together at TCU.

Coach Petersen is a good man, a great interview and a tireless recruiter. He may not have gotten the Deacs over the hump, but at least he made them entertaining and he was clearly passionate about his players and Wake Forest. I remember one interview he had to cancel on me so he called me from a recruiting trip, while he was driving in DC traffic. Maybe we'll get the full story about why he left -- a possible extension, tension with the AD, the "culture" at the school, difficulties in recruiting to Wake -- or perhaps he did just want a new challenge.

Regardless, wish him the best, and hopefully Wellman can make a pragmatic hire more in line with Tom Walter than Jeff [Redacted].

Agree 100%. He is a great coach and an even better person. It was a joy getting to know him the past four years and he was by far the best coach I interviewed during my time here. I wish him nothing but the best and hope we didn't run him off because that would be a damn shame. He was a great example and role model of what a Wake coach should be and essentially the opposite of Jeff [Redacted].

North Texas got themselves a good one.

One thing that can't be overstated is how crappy of a school North Texas is. Denton, Texas isn't exactly paradise either... but I guess he'd be close enough to Dallas to commute.

I'll miss Mike Peterson and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the username cp3ni**a is completely unaccpetable and this has not been addressed adequately. I'm a black man and I don't use that word because of the connotations it carries. My kids will never use the word and I certainly don't want to see it in a public forum. Yes, CP3 is entitled to his opinions, but I think using racist usernames should be outside the bounds of any discussion on these boards. It makes everyone on here look ignorant and it does not speak well of the Wake Forest community in general. Some may disagree with me or think I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't care.

Please note that no hint of sarcasm should be implied from this post. That username is ridiculous!!!!

We have users on our message boards that call themselves "whatever n***ga" and potential black athletes think that everyone at Wake is racist.

I'm just now seeing this, but its been taken care of. The name should have never made it to approval with our existing filters. If you happen to see another poster with a similar username, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll remove it.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?10382-Banned-CP3Nigga&p=676303#post676303

This is a great story, and sounds just like Coach P

Nope. If she had known he was leaving, I dont think she would have made her move.

BabyDeac

I would like to think this was true. But I also find it hard to believe that with Coach P and Coach Adair's long coaching history, he would not have told her he was considering leaving.

I also know that the job opened very recently, and that the offer was pretty recent, but unless they made him a serious $ offer, I just dont think you leave off the cuff

It's obvious he's leaving b/c 3 of every 4 people spell his name wrong. No respect at all.

Great guy, who coaches with lots of passion, and looks out for his players first. My kinda guy.

Hate to see him go.

One thing that can't be overstated is how crappy of a school North Texas is. Denton, Texas isn't exactly paradise either... but I guess he'd be close enough to Dallas to commute.
Then it should be easier to recruit to than Wake.

"Walker, the Senior Woman Administrator for Wake Forest athletics"

Awkward job title.

What is this crap?

Thanks for being a frequent visitor to Journalnow.com.You have viewed 5 of your 10 free premium pages this month.For full access, please purchase a monthly or annual Winston-Salem Journal Online Unlimited digital subscription for as little as $8.33/month.If you already have a 7-day print subscription, just click "Next" to confirm your free access. To upgrade your newspaper subscription and receive free digital services, call 336-727-7462.

More to the point, Barbara is screening candidates and conducting the media interviews.

Perhaps her assistance should be more heavily used in other hires. She seems to be a very experienced administrator.

"Walker, the Senior Woman Administrator for Wake Forest athletics"

Awkward job title.

What is this crap?

Thanks for being a frequent visitor to Journalnow.com.You have viewed 5 of your 10 free premium pages this month.For full access, please purchase a monthly or annual Winston-Salem Journal Online Unlimited digital subscription for as little as $8.33/month.If you already have a 7-day print subscription, just click "Next" to confirm your free access. To upgrade your newspaper subscription and receive free digital services, call 336-727-7462.

If you're in Chrome ctrl-shft-n will open up private browsing which will help you get around that without deleting cookies. ctrl-shft-p in Firefox and IE I believe. Or you can just use a browser you don't normally use.

Back