• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

have you looked at what private school tuition is like at schools ranked below us

Oh, I think private tuition in general has/is reaching a tipping point with current economic conditions and the current war on inflation by the Fed. There is no longer "free money" and that will certainly put pressure on sticker prices.

But, I'm saying at least Wake could hang its hat on a rather prestigious national ranking and separate itself from the ones you reference.

As a recent “shopper” for tuition, private schools vs out of state public schools are fairly comparable.

And no one, other than the international students, pay full price for any private schools. It’s like a hospital bill vs what you pay.
but isn't one of the problems for Wake that the average amount paid is higher than other private schools due to less relative financial aid to the others, even if you're not paying sticker, you're still paying a higher % of sticker than elsewhere?

As a recent “shopper” for tuition, private schools vs out of state public schools are fairly comparable.

And no one, other than the international students, pay full price for any private schools. It’s like a hospital bill vs what you pay.

"University of Florida's tuition is $6,381 for in-state and $28,658 for out-of-state students." So, you're saying Wake Forest will reduce its cost by 75% to match University of Florida? I'm simply asking. Maybe they will.

US News

So what would happen if Wake asked USNWR to put them back into the small liberal arts category?
I'm not certain, but I don't think the decision is up to Wake. I think the determination is based on the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Learning. And looking at the schools on the Liberal Arts ranking, I don't see any with a med school and law school.

Judging applicants by where they could afford to go to school is a good way to weed out the poors without specifically weeding out the poors.

The admission process is complex for all these schools. Like it our not, acceptance rate is a datapoint for rankings. The challenge is attracting large applicant pools, being selective in who you admit, and enrolling a high percentage those you admit. If you fail on any of these steps, your acceptance rate will spike up. The drop in the rankings will hurt on that first factor; the applicant pool will drop. That makes it all the more important to admit students with high likelihoods of accepting.

All of this process has to take into consideration the financial limitations Wake faces with a not top-30 endowment and pressures to raise spending on professors.

At some point in the process, for at least some applicants, taking into consideration whether they will accept an offer, including whether they can afford to accept an offer, is factor admissions should consider. There is only so much money available for needs based aid, and that money cannot be over promised. Once it's allocated through early admissions or however, its off the table.

How does our standing change if we moved to a more set pricing structure? It is interesting to think about how it works if instead of a high $80K/year book rate, often offset by various financial aid packages, they offer much less aid, but lower the book rate? The majority of universities do not do this, so perhaps there are valid reasons for the current approach, but it's a worth question.

"University of Florida's tuition is $6,381 for in-state and $28,658 for out-of-state students." So, you're saying Wake Forest will reduce its cost by 75% to match University of Florida? I'm simply asking. Maybe they will.

US News
No but no one will. The only way that school makes ends meet is government funding. You know that.

Does WF offer significant discount beyond what their online Net Price Calculator shows? Because according to that tool, a decent percentage of enrollees will pay full price.

How does our standing change if we moved to a more set pricing structure? It is interesting to think about how it works if instead of a high $80K/year book rate, often offset by various financial aid packages, they offer much less aid, but lower the book rate? The majority of universities do not do this, so perhaps there are valid reasons for the current approach, but it's a worth question.

If WF were to do this, it would be more affordable (cheaper) for affluent and upper middle class families, and less affordable for poorer families, which decrease economic diversity and further harm WF in the rankings.

If WF were to do this, it would be more affordable (cheaper) for affluent and upper middle class families, and less affordable for poorer families, which decrease economic diversity and further harm WF in the rankings.
I sense there is a lack of middle (not poor but not upper middle class either) class families represented at Wake. if you play with the net price calculator, you will find that middle class families receive little financial break if any-which would explain why.

I sense there is a lack of middle (not poor but not upper middle class either) class families represented at Wake. if you play with the net price calculator, you will find that middle class families receive little financial break if any-which would explain why.

This is true.

I was a middle class Wake Student and a middle class Wake parent, with little financial break either time. :(

I'm not certain, but I don't think the decision is up to Wake. I think the determination is based on the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Learning. And looking at the schools on the Liberal Arts ranking, I don't see any with a med school and law school.
Didn't we have a law school and a med school when we were previously ranked as a regional liberals arts school? Perhaps the classifications changed?

Families don’t get admitted to Wake Forest. Humans do.

We aren’t judged by our families in life. We are judged by what we do ourselves.

Kids not raised in the shackles of wealth so often outperform those who cannot overcome that curse. We should be admitting mass groups of kids raised in poor homes.

Didn't we have a law school and a med school when we were previously ranked as a regional liberals arts school? Perhaps the classifications changed?
We did. I'm not sure what changed, but from looking at the current Liberal Arts list, I don't think Wake fits on that list.

Families don’t get admitted to Wake Forest. Humans do.

We aren’t judged by our families in life. We are judged by what we do ourselves.

Kids not raised in the shackles of wealth so often outperform those who cannot overcome that curse. We should be admitting mass groups of kids raised in poor homes.
The development office disagrees with this. Does any other university refer to parents of alumni as like "P '06."

other schools don't do that? My prep school does that in alumni magazines and shit so it didn't faze me at all when Wake did

Back