• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

Like I said, it’s a theory, but wouldn’t graduates hypothetically benefit from the increased reputation that a notable publisher brings to their program? I remember from
Psychology that the experiments and theories we studied prominently mentioned the universities where the studies occurred.
Zimbardo's supposed current teaching post is Palo Alto University, not Stanford tho

Research that generalizes from one university is bullshit, by the way. Double for experiments.

I went for the debate team. Got in about half the top 30 and Wake had a top debate program and also had big time college basketball. I would have gone to Duke undergrad if admitted. That's true of half of you, you just won't admit it. If Wake had been ranked 48th I would never have even applied. Some of you may like that. You like excluding the country's top candidates and taking it back to old school admitting friends of buddies from the South. There is something to be said for that too. But what we are choosing to dig in now will eliminate most folks like me from looking at the school so, it is true, that more our buddy's kids will be admitted.
I'm sorry to any other former debate team members for laughing, but hahahahahahahahahahaha, this makes so much sense. Did you start on the debate team or ride the pine? Sure hope, for the sake of our debate program, you were better than you are on these boards or apparently with the Deacon club, because you're not very good at winning over opinions.

Like I said, it’s a theory, but wouldn’t graduates hypothetically benefit from the increased reputation that a notable publisher brings to their program? I remember from
Psychology that the experiments and theories we studied prominently mentioned the universities where the studies occurred.

That they did.

My Wake Honors project followed up and proved CSU's Dr. Suinn's theory with statistical significance re: "choking under pressure" in sports settings.

It was also a great way to meet frosh ladies as test subjects. ;)

Dr. Venkman from Ghostbusters had nothing on me!

There's another horrific Wake core value not shared at places like Duke. "Don't ever talk about money. Don't share your successes and those deals that have gone bad. And darn sure don't tell kids. Let them fail on their own. They'll learn themselves."
Speaking of deals gone bad, I gotta talk to those duke admissions staffers from back in the day about this rejection notice. Coulda spared so much self loathing, and so many keys, if they’d just admitted DR straight outta wherever he had the misfortune to attend HS.

See eg Maya Angelou
But other students enjoyed her class and developed long-term relationships with her. It's hit or miss like relationships with anybody. You can't just assume one way or the other. Obviously Maya Angelou was a bigger get than some random English PhD who was really good at teaching.

I'm sorry to any other former debate team members for laughing, but hahahahahahahahahahaha, this makes so much sense. Did you start on the debate team or ride the pine? Sure hope, for the sake of our debate program, you were better than you are on these boards or apparently with the Deacon club, because you're not very good at winning over opinions.

Idk man he’s pretty dialed in on the Gish gallop technique.

You are 100% correct that I am in the extreme minority with my viewpoints for our Athletic Department. My arguments have gained 0 traction anywhere at Wake Forest.

I have been trying every conceivable method to convince folks for 25 years we cannot build a sustained successful men’s basketball program in a 15K seat morgue. I lose the argument every year. “Just one more year, you will see, everything’s fine. The Joel is fine. We just need a new Coach.” 6 failed coaches later and next March folks will start saying it’s the Coach again.

You are 100% correct that I am in the extreme minority with my viewpoints for our Athletic Department. My arguments have gained 0 traction anywhere at Wake Forest.

I have been trying every conceivable method to convince folks for 25 years we cannot build a sustained successful men’s basketball program in a 15K seat morgue. I lose the argument every year. “Just one more year, you will see, everything’s fine. The Joel is fine. We just need a new Coach.” 6 failed coaches later and next March folks will start saying it’s the Coach again.
Why don’t you fund it? It’s well documented how much money you’ve made, right?

What is success?

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question.

Generally worth considering for universities as well as individuals…

The usually nuanced and complicated answer likely, however, relates to establishing goals and meeting goals. And often a set of goals may be somewhat conflicting and necessitate some effort to achieve a certain balance and likely some prioritization that may fluctuate or evolve over time.

I suspect that despite the public dismissal, Wake’s president is already in discussions about to what extent the school will be seeking to adapt to the significantly changed USNWR assessment criteria or algorithm.

See eg Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou was the opposite of the highly cited researcher that doesn't interact with undergrads. She did not have published and cited research (that I know of), and she was a great teacher of undergrads and very generous with her time.

Do Wake grads actually make less than students from other schools when controlling for field of study, location, or any other relevant factors? If so, I would tend to somewhat agree with you but I haven't seen that data and don't care to search for it.

If we have a higher percentage of students majoring in humanities or other soft sciences that don't pay as well then it makes sense we would have a lower average income then other schools. How do we compare in income if we compare by major? I think that's the more applicable measure.

And specifically for donaldross, what factors made you decide to attend Wake? Do you think you would be better off if you had chosen a different school?

I’m annoyed that mako beat me to this joke, but I’d be delighted if DR would never post here again since we are such an embarrassment. I’m proud of all the graduates we have who are bettering the world, working to grow the knowledge of humanity and make the world a better place. They do this despite knowing that it doesn’t pay as much as chasing ambulances, stealing from the poor, and running slums.

Maya Angelou … was a great teacher of undergrads and very generous with her time.
This was not my experience or impression

I’m very proud she was associated with the university but I don’t think the above can be claimed

This was not my experience or impression

I’m very proud she was associated with the university but I don’t think the above can be claimed
Did you take a class with her? I did, and she was the most memorable and one of the most dedicated teachers I had at Wake. She accepted everyone off the wait list, knew everyone's name by the second class, and when she had to miss a class she made it up on a Saturday morning at her house.

Back