• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Atlanta - need help identifying places to live

NumbaOneStunna

Reaction score
Hello All! It was recommended for me to post here, as there are many posters familiar with Atlanta. I am trying to identify places to buy a home. But, one of the biggest issues is striking a balance between what we're looking for in a home vs. the afternoon/evening commute.

The main office would be in Buckhead on Peachtree. Other occasional locations reports would probably be along the 400 (T. Harvey Mathis Pkwy) and 19 (Turner McDonald Pkwy).
- 400/19 near the perimeter (I-285)
- could [very] occasionally work at the Alpharetta office

Looking for suburbia - family w/two kids, looking for good school districts (tho my kids will probably be in a Christian private school until 8th grade, at least). The further out, the better - get more house for less money. Safe neighborhoods with newer subdivisions, with pool, etc. Looking at 4/5 bedrooms and 3000 sq ft +. Close to grocery, Walmarts, Sam's Club, shopping malls, etc. But, I want to cap the commute time, too. 1 hr max in rush hour, generally speaking (I realize there may be times the commute is a nightmare and take much longer than that). Obviously, safe areas with low crime is a requirement.

Would be leaving the house around 5am, so morning rush hour shouldn't be a problem. I think the bigger problem would be heading home around 5p-6p. Would like to keep rush hour commute out of the city to less than an hour (obviously there would be occasional backups resulting in commutes over an hour).

From other research & input I've been gathering, I was told to look due north of the city, OTP. Between 11 o'clock (Smyrna/Marietta) and 1 o'clock (Peachtree Corners) fanning out north. But, I was also told that where the 120 (Old Milton Pkwy) crosses Hwy 19, in Alpharetta, is over an hour in rush hour traffic (so Milton & Cumming should not be considered). In google maps, I've been focusing on the area around East Cobb and close to Hwy 19 (all have the lowest crime rating on Trulia & Realtor websites).

I know nothing about these areas, from school district & low crime rate statistics. So, now I'm seeking input on the following:
- I'm really interested in the commute from the East Cobb area (smack dab between I-75 and Hwy 19). Lots of housing options sprinkled around Lassiter HS area, off of New Chastain/Blackwell/Shallowford road). Can I reach those areas in an hour from Buckhead in the afternoon/evening?
- Is Hwy 9 out of the city any faster than taking Hwy 400/19 out of Buckhead? (ie. Are there any benefits living close to Hwy 9?)
- I'm finding some newer homes that fit the bill around Marietta and Smyrna. How far out on I-75 & Hwy 3 can I go out, before risking a daily commute home, over 1 hr?
- Any Christian private schools (K-6 or 8) you could recommend? I'm also not looking for the college tuition-level private schools. Right now, we're paying about $12K a year (Aug-May) for two children, including afterschool care until 6pm (in Raleigh).
- Any other areas besides due north that fit the bill, particularly with safe neighborhoods a priority?

Thank you! I appreciate any info you can provide.

I live in East Cobb. The commute back roads isn't bad. It's getting on 400 or 285 to get to buckhead that will be an issue. Mt Bethel Christian Acad. has a good rep and the parents that have kids there love it. Not sure about others.

i have so many questions but no answers.

traffic.gif

2efeb06ded0f105dd30315a408c6ff74.gif

I grew up in East Cobb. I think it's a pretty close to zero chance that you can get from Buckhead to the Lassiter area in an hour during rush hour. With no traffic that's about a 30 minute trip.

Yeah, it's going to take you 30-40 minutes to get just about anywhere in Atlanta outside of I-285, with minimal traffic. If you think I-40 between Raleigh and the NC Hwy 54 exit in Durham is a bad run, imagine that on every highway for twice as far, and for twice as long timewise, and also occurring at random times of the day for no apparent reason.

Live ITP, say screw the kids they can learn with the non-white children or send them to private school. You couldn't pay me enough money to live OTP in suburbia and battle 2 hour commute everyday.

If so much work hadn't gone into the initial post, I'd be convinced this was a parody. Still 50-50.

Hello All! It was recommended for me to post here, as there are many posters familiar with Atlanta. I am trying to identify places to buy a home. But, one of the biggest issues is striking a balance between what we're looking for in a home vs. the afternoon/evening commute.

The main office would be in Buckhead on Peachtree. Def a pain in the ass to get on 400, but then it's okay heading north to 285.Other occasional locations reports would probably be along the 400 (T. Harvey Mathis Pkwy) and 19 (Turner McDonald Pkwy). This is simply 400. None of the rest of that means anything to anyone except the families of the people that they are named after.
- 400/19 near the perimeter (I-285). 400 near 285 - Sandy Springs area
- could [very] occasionally work at the Alpharetta office

Looking for suburbia - family w/two kids, looking for good school districts (tho my kids will probably be in a Christian private school until 8th grade, at least). The further out, the better - get more house for less money. Safe neighborhoods with newer subdivisions, with pool, etc. Looking at 4/5 bedrooms and 3000 sq ft +. Close to grocery, Walmarts, Sam's Club, shopping malls, etc.Well, THIS son't be a problem. But, I want to cap the commute time, too. 1 hr max in rush hour, generally speaking (I realize there may be times the commute is a nightmare and take much longer than that). Obviously, safe areas with low crime is a requirement.

Would be leaving the house around 5am, so morning rush hour shouldn't be a problem. I think the bigger problem would be heading home around 5p-6p. Would like to keep rush hour commute out of the city to less than an hour (obviously there would be occasional backups resulting in commutes over an hour).400 north or 285 either way will be a mess at 5, but it shouldn't take you more than an hour to get from 285 to Cumming on 400, even at 5:30.

From other research & input I've been gathering, I was told to look due north of the city, OTP. Between 11 o'clock (Smyrna/Marietta) and 1 o'clock (Peachtree Corners) fanning out north. Agreed.But, I was also told that where the 120 (Old Milton Pkwy) crosses Hwy 19,400? in Alpharetta, is over an hour in rush hour traffic (so Milton & Cumming should not be considered). I disagree if you're working in the Sandy Springs area....if you're downtown, then possibly yes.In google maps, I've been focusing on the area around East Cobb and close to Hwy 19 (all have the lowest crime rating on Trulia & Realtor websites). Crime isn't a big issue much of anywhere OTP between 75 and 400...I wouldn't sweat this issue.

I know nothing about these areas, from school district & low crime rate statistics. So, now I'm seeking input on the following:
- I'm really interested in the commute from the East Cobb area (smack dab between I-75 and Hwy 19). Lots of housing options sprinkled around Lassiter HS area, off of New Chastain/Blackwell/Shallowford road). Can I reach those areas in an hour from Buckhead in the afternoon/evening? Problem with this area is that it's tough to get across the river - either Johnson Ferry (always a mess that time of day) or 75 are your options. Not a bad area though, and you could get there from Buckhead by taking West Paces Ferry to 75, then 75 north; or even Northside drive. You've got options.
- Is Hwy 9 out of the city any faster than taking Hwy 400/19 out of Buckhead? (ie. Are there any benefits living close to Hwy 9?) I think this is Roswell Rd. It's not better or worse for commuting. I'd say no benefits.
- I'm finding some newer homes that fit the bill around Marietta and Smyrna. How far out on I-75 & Hwy 3 can I go out, before risking a daily commute home, over 1 hr? Highway 3 is known as 41. Lots of car dealers, traffic, and traffic lights. Overall, I'd stay south of Kennesaw to avoid over an hour, but from Buckhead 75 isn't too bad ITP. It's OTP where it backs up.
- Any Christian private schools (K-6 or 8) you could recommend? I'm also not looking for the college tuition-level private schools. Right now, we're paying about $12K a year (Aug-May) for two children, including afterschool care until 6pm (in Raleigh). Westminster is the one that I know of, but it's pricey.
- Any other areas besides due north that fit the bill, particularly with safe neighborhoods a priority? I'd look at Roswell/Alpharetta/Milton - straight up 400 from Buckhead and there are plenty of good schools and neighborhoods up that way.

Thank you! I appreciate any info you can provide.

suggestions above....

Regarding Christian private schools, I have many friends whose kids have gone to Eastside Christian in East Cobb and Whitefield Academy in Smyrna/Mableton area. Eastside is K-8 & Whitefield is pre-K-12. I don't know the tuition cost for Eastside, but Whitefield is pricey.

East Cobb is about to get the Braves. Traffic there is about to become even more fucked.

Why not Gwinnett?

I work in Buckhead off Peachtree... Right across the street from Lenox Mall. I live in Brookhaven. My commute is less than 10 minutes no matter what time of day it is. Moved here in early 2013 and bought a new house in an older neighborhood (teardown/rebuild). Schools are going to be the issue for me (we have a daughter that just turned one). Seems like the elementary school in our area is pretty good, but after that it goes downhill quickly.

We'll probably move OTP in a few years... would be interested in hearing what you decide / how it works out.

East Cobb is about to get the Braves. Traffic there is about to become even more fucked.

Why not Gwinnett?

The Braves are not going to be in East Cobb. Gwinnett is disgusting unless you are on the Moonz AZN BBQ Trail.

Your budget for a house is probably going to be the biggest determinative factor on where you live. Cost of 3000sq ft can vary a lot from Va-Hi to Bhead to Dunwoody to Alpharetta.

Most people head to the burbs for good public schools, so if you are intent on putting your kids in xtian school, then really no reason to live out there.

Also, even in the burbs some of the high schools can either be dicey or just giant (I think Lassiter is over 2K). A lot of people in ATL who can afford private schools still send their kids to public for elementary and maybe middle. There are plenty of good to great public elem and middle schools, even in the city, but HS is where a lot of people start to go private.

FWIW, I have a lot of co-workers that live OTP. You are right about coming in early... They get in around 6:30am and traffic is not an issue. But you have to leave before 4pm to get home in a reasonable timeframe.

I travel a lot, so part of living ITP for me was being able to get to the airport in 20-30 minutes. Having said that, it took me over an hour to drive from the airport to my house yesterday... at 2:30pm.

Back