• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Atlanta - need help identifying places to live

None of those are going to be any better than another. If you are headed intown to buckhead in the morning and back to the boonies in the afternoon, it doesnt matter which boonies you pick, it could still very well be an hour each way, more if there is a traffic shitshow.

If you dont want an hour in the car and still want OTP, your best bets are Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

If you really want a serious answer, I'd strongly consider an alternative to living in the suburbs. Atlanta is Los Angeles SE when it comes to commutes and traffic, it's even worse than the greater DC area (worse public transit options really hurt).

What's wrong with living in or around Buckhead or in Garden, Peachtree or Brookwood Hills? Get a smaller house, have your kids exposed to "SOME" diversity (let's not pretend that Buckhead isn't still Buckhead, it's whiter than an A4 sheet of printer paper) and get to spend a lot more time with them. I bet they grow up far better for it.

Thanks, guys! Correct, I do post on the MD board. And I miss the tagging feature on our board. HOF tags, btw.

I'm most curious about the 400 out to 120 in afternoon rush hour from Buckhead. Someone on the MD board said it's over an hour but it sounds like it might not be. There are plenty of homes just north of that intersection we are interested in looking at. After 10+ hrs in the office, a long trip home might kill me.

Coincidentally, I grew up in the DC area and was a metro rider myself. I'm not sure about the MARTA, with the time estimates I'm getting on google maps (dont know how accurate google is), everything is over an hour. Metro was nice in that mine was the last stop on the red line, so I could get off work, doze on the metro and be refreshed coming home. But, that was -20 yrs, -1 wife and -children ago. They do have that ish on lockdown. You couldn't even eat on the trains - if you tried, it always seemed like they caught you. An hour commute seemed like the minimum coming from the MD suburbs. It it helps, the office bldg is at Lenox Rd/Peachtree Rd.

Thanks for the insight! From online home hunting, I think a lot of communities are north Roswell/Alpharetta (up the 400), Marietta 30062, and Johns Creek 30022. So I was trying to get a pulse on the outbound commute in I-75 and Peachtree Rd/ Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but there is literally no chance you are going from Buckhead all the way up to 120 on 400 in less than an hour during evening rush hour. I don't even know if you could make it in an hour and a half. I'm not sure you understand how really far out that is.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! This is not a parody thread. On my home board, a Deacon told me to post here because I could get a wealth of information - now, I'm just wondering if he set me up for entertainment value. Sorry about the OP novella. It was my original post on another board; but, with more info (after doing research and receiving some feedback).

I will post more when I have time. In the meantime, please enjoy the attached map someone provided for me from my home board...
View attachment 1032
Great use of those red lines. That's a throwback if I've ever seen one.

If you really want a serious answer, I'd strongly consider an alternative to living in the suburbs. Atlanta is Los Angeles SE when it comes to commutes and traffic, it's even worse than the greater DC area (worse public transit options really hurt).

What's wrong with living in or around Buckhead or in Garden, Peachtree or Brookwood Hills? Get a smaller house, have your kids exposed to "SOME" diversity (let's not pretend that Buckhead isn't still Buckhead, it's whiter than an A4 sheet of printer paper) and get to spend a lot more time with them. I bet they grow up far better for it.

I am not in ATL but this sounds like what I would do. What kind of cost per square foot would you be looking at for any of those areas?

Back