• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving to Atlanta - need help identifying places to live

This cracker is up to something.... Not sure what so I'm going to be nice to him until I figure it out

This may be completely idiotic because I don't live in Atlanta - but, I know Buckhead has a couple of stations on MARTA that if your office is close enough could allow you to shrink your commute if you want to live up in dunwoody or live closer in the city.

Last time I took the marta pretty sure I didn't have my wallet stolen, but it may not be suitable now.

This may be completely idiotic because I don't live in Atlanta - but, I know Buckhead has a couple of stations on MARTA that if your office is close enough could allow you to shrink your commute if you want to live up in dunwoody or live closer in the city.

Last time I took the marta pretty sure I didn't have my wallet stolen, but it may not be suitable now.

i do like how everyone just assumed he's white.

also, the marta idea is a good one. Where your office is it sounds like you're on top of the buckhead station - ride out to north springs and commute the rest of the way to cumming. save gas and time.

also, the marta idea is a good one. Where your office is it sounds like you're on top of the buckhead station - ride out to north springs and commute the rest of the way to cumming. save gas and time.

Except it will never work unless his office is right at Lenox Square and he really likes the food court there.

I know, except for DC. They keep that shit locked down.

i've still seen crazies on metro. much less than sf or nyc because, as you said, they are hyper-rigorous about it. much in the same way dc is the only city where you'll never see grafitti (well this means nw dc as dc).

I used to live in midtown and work downtown. My old condo was a block from the midtown smarta and my firm was in peachtree center, which has a smarta station underground. So I had to walk 1 block, go 3 stops on smarta, and then didnt even have to go outside again before I got to my desk. And my firm paid for my smarta card.

That is like a unicorn of Atlanta commutes though. Marta is pretty safe. Im not riding the east west line at 11pm, but its pretty safe.

I used to live in midtown and work downtown. My old condo was a block from the midtown smarta and my firm was in peachtree center, which has a smarta station underground. So I had to walk 1 block, go 3 stops on smarta, and then didnt even have to go outside again before I got to my desk. And my firm paid for my smarta card.

That is like a unicorn of Atlanta commutes though. Marta is pretty safe. Im not riding the east west line at 11pm, but its pretty safe.
Does the Willy's in Peachtree Center still serve breakfast?

FWIW he posts on the MD board and started the same thread and someone (damo?) referred him here

I assume you'll want to own a golf cart so don't rule out Peachtree City

I loved living in Virginia Highlands and would've lived in Decatur happily.

I lived in Marietta about 12 years ago and commuted to the perimeter area. It was so bad that I joined a really nice club and would head in at 5am toting my work clothes and work out and have a nice breakfast before heading to the office. From what I understand the commute is worse now. I hope this job is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thoughts. Prayers.

i've still seen crazies on metro. much less than sf or nyc because, as you said, they are hyper-rigorous about it. much in the same way dc is the only city where you'll never see grafitti (well this means nw dc as dc).

Ride the X2 bus and report back.

FWIW he posts on the MD board and started the same thread and someone (damo?) referred him here

I did. I figured we had a lot of ATL guys with insight. At least some of the posters seem to be somewhat helpful.

Thanks, guys! Correct, I do post on the MD board. And I miss the tagging feature on our board. HOF tags, btw.

I'm most curious about the 400 out to 120 in afternoon rush hour from Buckhead. Someone on the MD board said it's over an hour but it sounds like it might not be. There are plenty of homes just north of that intersection we are interested in looking at. After 10+ hrs in the office, a long trip home might kill me.

Coincidentally, I grew up in the DC area and was a metro rider myself. I'm not sure about the MARTA, with the time estimates I'm getting on google maps (dont know how accurate google is), everything is over an hour. Metro was nice in that mine was the last stop on the red line, so I could get off work, doze on the metro and be refreshed coming home. But, that was -20 yrs, -1 wife and -children ago. They do have that ish on lockdown. You couldn't even eat on the trains - if you tried, it always seemed like they caught you. An hour commute seemed like the minimum coming from the MD suburbs. It it helps, the office bldg is at Lenox Rd/Peachtree Rd.

Thanks for the insight! From online home hunting, I think a lot of communities are north Roswell/Alpharetta (up the 400), Marietta 30062, and Johns Creek 30022. So I was trying to get a pulse on the outbound commute in I-75 and Peachtree Rd/ Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

Back