• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: A Sales Pitch No One is Buying

I say this over and over and Dan nailed it. Dave Clawson had a vision and then created a strategy which he believed would pay off and stuck to it for a few lawn years. Wake football is in an amazing place right now and sustainable. Dannt Manning has no vision and no long term strategy and plan in which to execute. Each practice and game is more about who is currently on the team and lets see if they do what I tell them today.

If you dont know where you're going all roads lead there...Danny is on that road.

I don't know that Manning didn't have any sort of plan, and I would argue that he had things pointed in what appeared to be the right direction in season 3, especially given the hole he had to start from. A bubble team with a core of key returners due to come back plus the highest regarded recruit in many year coming in. When Manning was hired, I think most would have taken that as a good place to be at the end of season 3. Sure there were some warts when you got into the details - 3 seasons of poor defense, troubles pulling out wins at the end of close games, questionable sub patterns and line-ups, dumb plays with no accountability, etc. But at a macro level, things were looking pretty good for the future. And then it all went to hell. Who knows what would have happened if Collins and Dinos stuck around for season 4. But they didn't, and that was like pulling bottom pieces from a really tall Jenga tower. No need to wade into all the details, but obviously it's pretty much been downhill since. Maybe I am just thinking out loud here, but it is amazing how fast things deteriorated since the end of the Kansas St game. Or really since the end of that regular season. Now it looks like Manning is going into a complete rebuild, which is pretty much unacceptable for year 5.

Pretty sure the coaches have been over Crawford since last year. I doubt his departure means jack shit to them.

Well then, that may be an even bigger indictment of their lack of preparedness as well as their overall inability to develop relationships with their players to ensure open lines of communication, consistently close the deal with prospective transfers and, as Donut Dan pointed out, sell just about anyone on their vision for the future since it apparently doesn't exist.

I don't know that Manning didn't have any sort of plan, and I would argue that he had things pointed in what appeared to be the right direction in season 3, especially given the hole he had to start from. A bubble team with a core of key returners due to come back plus the highest regarded recruit in many year coming in. When Manning was hired, I think most would have taken that as a good place to be at the end of season 3. Sure there were some warts when you got into the details - 3 seasons of poor defense, troubles pulling out wins at the end of close games, questionable sub patterns and line-ups, dumb plays with no accountability, etc. But at a macro level, things were looking pretty good for the future. And then it all went to hell. Who knows what would have happened if Collins and Dinos stuck around for season 4. But they didn't, and that was like pulling bottom pieces from a really tall Jenga tower. No need to wade into all the details, but obviously it's pretty much been downhill since. Maybe I am just thinking out loud here, but it is amazing how fast things deteriorated since the end of the Kansas St game. Or really since the end of that regular season. Now it looks like Manning is going into a complete rebuild, which is pretty much unacceptable for year 5.

You argue that wake was going in the right direction in y3. then you point at all the red flags visible when you look closely. Those things that are critically important for a coach to be successful and you, correctly, point out he was failing in those areas.

I would argue that manning stumbled into the "macro success" thanks to Collins. It blinded a lot of people to Danny's faults as a coach.

Some of Disco Dan's best work. He's absolutely right. I love Danny Manning the person, but Danny Manning the coach is an unmitigated disaster and now, in a year in which it's all on the line, he couldn't keep his two most important players. My God; next year is going to be historically bad.

What is there to "love" about Danny Manning the person? He's pretty much the lamest dude ever.

Pretty sure the coaches have been over Crawford since last year. I doubt his departure means jack shit to them.

How about the other half of the team that has left for no particular reason other than to get the hell out? Were they over them as well?

Some of Disco Dan's best work. He's absolutely right. I love Danny Manning the person, but Danny Manning the coach is an unmitigated disaster and now, in a year in which it's all on the line, he couldn't keep his two most important players. My God; next year is going to be historically bad.

We could be looking at several 30+ point losses. Four ACC wins would be a miracle at this point.

This will be the perfect time to level the Joel and build a 3,000 seat arena and save 20 seats for the students that show up. That way the arena will look full next year.

Other than the math, his argument is spot on. Manning is an egotist and has never had to work for anything. He is stubborn and has never shown anyone, but Wellman that he can coach at the college level. It will only go down hill further this coming year

Leave it to you to choose the one narrative that is just completely stupid. Never had to work for anything? An egotist? Dude, you are totally projecting.

First, to argue that becoming an elite athlete who won a championship involved no work makes me wonder why you bother watching kids galavanting around a field or court?

Two, just read his bio. Manning went from NBA player to handing out towels at Kansas. Argue he should be handing out towels still but fuck sake - an egotist?
Me thinks you don't understand the word or are just stupid squared

What is there to "love" about Danny Manning the person? He's pretty much the lamest dude ever.

Oh yeah, you say you love Danny the person so nobody thinks your racist when you call him a shithouse coach. Pretty basic.

One thing that may be lacking in Manning's resume is significant work with zone defenses. NBA barely uses them. Kansas as well. So his only knowledge would be from coaching against it or as a (very) secondary defense to use only rarely. It is hard to get comfortable with any type of zone if you rarely played or coached it. Working it in a coaching clinic is not the same as coaching it as a large part of your team defense and/or playing it yourself. If the HC isn't comfortable with zone defense he will be less willing to use it and likely won't be all that good at coaching it. This is one area where Manning has a lot of room for improvement.

Back