• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: A Sales Pitch No One is Buying

Pretty sure the coaches have been over Crawford since last year. I doubt his departure means jack shit to them.
They should be all losing their jobs because of it so....his departure should matter to them.

I think it fair to give a coach 4 years in order to give them a chance to try things and fix things that don't work. If the situation hasn't obviously improved in 4 years, or if it has deteriorated as what has happened here, they should be canned. Manning has shown some aptitude in coaching up individuals I'll give him that, but then they take that improvement and leave for whatever reason. I haven't seen the team play better though and it's a team game. Time to find a new coach.

For all I can tell, Danny Manning is a decent guy but does not have the necessary abilities to be an ACC head coach. His deficiencies include, average recruiting, poor in game coaching, uninspiring personality, and inability to mentor the players, to be their father figure for whom they want to play.

For all I can tell, Danny Manning is a decent guy but does not have the necessary abilities to be an ACC head coach. His deficiencies include, average recruiting, poor in game coaching, uninspiring personality, and inability to mentor the players, to be their father figure for whom they want to play.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling the same way now. I was thrilled when Danny was announced as coach. I remember him him from his playing days at Page HS in Greensboro and his stellar career as a player in HS, college and the NBA should be a huge draw for recruits. He also had several years of learning at one of the best college programs, Kansas.
However, the reality is that he's just not getting it done. The progress just isn't there. I look at Clawson as a role model for rebuilding and our basketball team just isn't improving. The mass exodus of players is also very troubling.
If, by some chance, the team has a huge, positive turn-around next season.....great. Otherwise, time for a change.

Some of Disco Dan's best work. He's absolutely right. I love Danny Manning the person, but Danny Manning the coach is an unmitigated disaster and now, in a year in which it's all on the line, he couldn't keep his two most important players. My God; next year is going to be historically bad.

So we are all going to have to go through the shitshow in 18'-19' in order to justify firing him?

It would be nice to have a proactive athletic director who would just start the rebuilding now and not waste everybody's time on earth.

This is all so Weak Forest

What more do you want? He has the most forgettable personality imaginable.

He doesn't cheat. He doesn't bang waitresses in local restaurants, impregnate them, then pay for them to end pregnancies. By all accounts he's a great dad and husband. He's a class act. I was unaware that an outgoing personality was a prerequisite for a "good man." We can all agree, however, that he's a really bad basketball coach.

He doesn't cheat. He doesn't bang waitresses in local restaurants, impregnate them, then pay for them to end pregnancies. By all accounts he's a great dad and husband. He's a class act. I was unaware that an outgoing personality was a prerequisite for a "good man." We can all agree, however, that he's a really bad basketball coach.
So he’s not Rick Pitino or Bob Staak. He still has zero personality. And he’s a dumbass.

Plenty of introverts have memorable personalities. Manning is just as bland as they come. And I don't think for a second his blandness had nothing to do with half the team leaving the program this offseason.

Manning had a bland personality as a player. He was just really really good.

If he was a really really good coach, his bland personality wouldn’t be a concern.

Our former coach and current coach have given us introverts a bad name. At this point, I hope the next one is a flaming extrovert.

Our former coach and current coach have given us introverts a bad name. At this point, I hope the next one is a flaming extrovert.
Oh, I'm an introvert myself. Many of my friends and people I find I relate to most are introverts. I just don't find Manning endearing really at all.

Other than the math, his argument is spot on. Manning is an egotist and has never had to work for anything. He is stubborn and has never shown anyone, but Wellman that he can coach at the college level. It will only go down hill further this coming year

Bud, please stop posting about basketball. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Bud, please stop posting about basketball. You have no idea what you are talking about.

giphy.gif

I am at the point where I think maybe we should have fired Manning at the end of the season... But there was no way that was going to happen.

Can't fire him now.

Have to wait until after next season. Nobody fires coaches in the summer (for a ton of reasons).

I still hope he figures it out... And I think the team will exceed the VERY low expectations I've seen around here... But the program is now in a position that I think will be near impossible for Manning to get out of. A lot of it is his fault and some of it is bad luck... But I don't see how he can get back recruiting momentum for the 2019 class after the terrible 2017-18 season and all of the related departures.

Still think we will add a player or two, given the open scholarships (and Lorng issue). It is depressing that my hopes rest on a pu pu platter of a roster, where you need to get multiple surprises in terms of contribution readiness.

RJ read before you post. My post was not about basketball it was about the man who is our head coach.

-A friend of my sat next to Manning at a HS tournament and said he was very down to earth and friendly (a regular guy).
- Crawford was a turnover machine.
-I hate that a WF legend is associated with the last two unsuccessful coaching staffs

Go Deacs

RJ read before you post. My post was not about basketball it was about the man who is our head coach.

Yeah, but it was fucking stupid. He HAS both worked hard for something and seems pretty far from an egotist, considering he handed out towels at Kansas for a few years to break into coaching. Someone please quote me so Bud can read this. He has to have me on ignore because I call out his stupid fucking posts all the time.

He is the only guy I can't stop attacking. Again, because his posts are so fucking stupid. To call a man who worked his ass off to lead a team to a national championship as a player, a man who flies all over to have kids see him watching them play basketball in the hopes that they will come to Wake - call him many things - a shitty coach perhaps, a dolt of a personality, but to accuse him of not working hard for anything in his life is just about the stupidest thing I've seen Bud post, and considering he posts stupid shit all the time - that is saying something. It's like calling out a Trump tweet as stupid. But anyway, someone quote me so this dumbshit can see it, or someone just reword what I typed in a nicer way.

Again, to call out an ex-athlete as someone who has never worked hard for anything - I guess i don't get why you would ever watch sports then if you think these guys are just dancing around in shorts a few hours a week on tv and maybe do a few pushups when they wake up in the morning. What the fuck this guy ...

Yeah, but it was fucking stupid. He HAS both worked hard for something and seems pretty far from an egotist, considering he handed out towels at Kansas for a few years to break into coaching. Someone please quote me so Bud can read this. He has to have me on ignore because I call out his stupid fucking posts all the time.

He is the only guy I can't stop attacking. Again, because his posts are so fucking stupid. To call a man who worked his ass off to lead a team to a national championship as a player, a man who flies all over to have kids see him watching them play basketball in the hopes that they will come to Wake - call him many things - a shitty coach perhaps, a dolt of a personality, but to accuse him of not working hard for anything in his life is just about the stupidest thing I've seen Bud post, and considering he posts stupid shit all the time - that is saying something. It's like calling out a Trump tweet as stupid. But anyway, someone quote me so this dumbshit can see it, or someone just reword what I typed in a nicer way.

Again, to call out an ex-athlete as someone who has never worked hard for anything - I guess i don't get why you would ever watch sports then if you think these guys are just dancing around in shorts a few hours a week on tv and maybe do a few pushups when they wake up in the morning. What the fuck this guy ...

Pretty interesting.

Year five and he has one returning upperclassman, his Associate Head Coach's son. Hard for me to wrap my head around that. Dumpster fire!

Back