• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan Searches for the Truth from Haas

You're right- just letters, calls, emails...but no contact, besides "checking in" was made. We had no reason to believe he still needed to be sold on Wake. He didn't get any news from us.

My extremely limited experience in this was just during our one player's recruitment on my high school team - but he was in almost constant contact with the assistant coach who recruited him. Especially leading up to signing day - they talked all the time about games, how he was playing, how the team was performing, about how excited he was, etc... Maybe that's not the norm, but this kind of situation simply couldn't have happened unless he'd been just outright deceitful. Doesn't seem like Haas is the type. But I know jack outside of what's been reported obviously.

Didn't the uncle say he got info "about" Wake, not "from" Wake?

My extremely limited experience in this was just during our one player's recruitment on my high school team - but he was in almost constant contact with the assistant coach who recruited him. Especially leading up to signing day - they talked all the time about games, how he was playing, how the team was performing, about how excited he was, etc... Maybe that's not the norm, but this kind of situation simply couldn't have happened unless he'd been just outright deceitful. Doesn't seem like Haas is the type. But I know jack outside of what's been reported obviously.

That is, but we weren't trying to sell Wake Forest at that point- like you said, just keeping contact and checking in on his life. From what I have been told, he gave us no reason to have to "win" him during the dead period.

One querstion I have is was Painter trying to get Haas to change his mind before he decommitted.

That is, but we weren't trying to sell Wake Forest at that point- like you said, just keeping contact and checking in on his life. From what I have been told, he gave us no reason to have to "win" him during the dead period.

NSFW Language

The thing that pisses me off the most is that while this kid was leading us on, we could have been pursuing other big men. If he had given any indication that he was interested in Purdue, our staff could have chased other possibilities. From the time he gave the verbal to the dead period was open season on recruiting. The scholarship was his, and we were going to keep our end of the commitment. The staff put a great deal of time and energy into this kid.

I mean, I guess the whole deal is better than him coming here and transferring, and its to be expected when we have Buzz as the HC, but it still pisses me off.

I am kind of wondering if he got wind of us recruiting another big? I don't follow recruiting that much, so I don't know, but I am pretty sure PT was an issue.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that while this kid was leading us on, we could have been pursuing other big men. If he had given any indication that he was interested in Purdue, our staff could have chased other possibilities. From the time he gave the verbal to the dead period was open season on recruiting. The scholarship was his, and we were going to keep our end of the commitment. The staff put a great deal of time and energy into this kid.

I mean, I guess the whole deal is better than him coming here and transferring, and its to be expected when we have Buzz as the HC, but it still pisses me off.

I am kind of wondering if he got wind of us recruiting another big? I don't follow recruiting that much, so I don't know, but I am pretty sure PT was an issue.

I agree, but that's just one the risks you deal with when it comes to recruiting. You can get all the verbals you want, but until they sign the LOI, it really doesn't mean much. No worries, I'm sure Bzzz has another Rondale Watson up his sleeve.

The only wind he got was the whiff coming off our giant shitpile of a program.

Still baffled by his "I'm 18 hours away from sealing my bright future at Wake Forest! #DeaconNation" tweet just a mere 18 hours before he was to sign his LOI. I mean seriously, wtf happens in a span of 18 hours to cause someone to want to flip schools?

Still baffled by his "I'm 18 hours away from sealing my bright future at Wake Forest! #DeaconNation" tweet just a mere 18 hours before he was to sign his LOI. I mean seriously, wtf happens in a span of 18 hours to cause someone to want to flip schools?

I bet Matt Painter tweeted that from Haas' phone and Painter, Haas, and Haas' uncle had a good laugh about it.

Can you imagine the negativity and outcry from literally any other fanbase if they had a coach performing like Buzz, and an Athletic Director acting like Wellman?

This, this, and this. Unfortunately Wake, as with many aspects of its existence, is a complete anomaly in regards to it's handling of athletics... no other athletic department would be allowed to sink to the level we have with the AD saying "all is well" in the first place. Fans at virtually all other BCS schools would have had a complete and utter meltdown long before.

One querstion I have is was Painter trying to get Haas to change his mind before he decommitted.

Yes

ETA: No matter what Painter did, and how shitty it was for Haas to not let WFU know what was going on, when the kid didn't sign LOI, Buzz should have been on his doorstep or at his school within hours.

Buzz had to know that something was going on behind the scenes when the kid didn't sign. Its like Buzz conceded the fight before it ever started. I don't understand his waiting until Sunday to go to Alabama...our basketball team would have been just fine without him at practice that day, I am sure.

Haas would have been a great get.

Last edited:
Maybe we are also recruiting another big for the spring or next year , and Haas caught wind of it? Since a flip on signing day is so rare in basketball , something besides negativity or change of heart played a major role in this .

That'd jive with the perception that Rusty is not particularly good at his job...

Why would anyone go to a school where a large, and extremely vocal, portion of the fanbase has wanted the coach fired from the day he was hired, they have billboards and websites? And the stands are largely empty? A large reason you choose a college bball program is the head coach wanting that person to be there for your entire career. I don't see how Bzz can recruit anyone, frankly. And many of our fanbase readily admit they want us to fail just so RW will have to fire Bzz. It is truly a sad state of affairs. And so much of the anger from the beginning was this thought that Dino was a great coach and should never have been let go. Quite the contrary, Dino sucked as an HC, and guided us nowhere with 3 NBA players and a strong supporting cast. And he still has no HC job because every AD knows it. Had Dino been here another year or two, after he lost all of Skip's NBA level recruits, we still would have sucked royally. That isn't even debatable. Dino ran the program into the ground.

The point is that given where we are as a program and fanbase, there is no way I would come here as a recruit. Why would anybody? Watching the team play before 1000 fans in a quiet gym, and the billboard and the crazy over the top vitriol and wanting the team to lose is absolutely hurting our program, there can be no question about it. I don't think Buzz is the guy by any stretch, but I think he is at least average and has brought in some good players, but not being a great coach at this level is hurting our program, but so is the fanbase. If you aren't a part of the solution, you are part of the problem. We can debate the degree, but the negativity in the fanbase is absolutely hurting the program.
The negativity is hurting but it is justified. It would be much worse at NCSU or UNC.

Back