• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Olsen letting the students have it

There are serious, fundamental problems with WFU athletics. The kid is just venting about a symptom to a much larger problem.

No biggie. He's frustrated. Hell, I'm beyond frustrated.

Why are we complaining about what Olsen says? He has earned the right to complain about the absence of loyal support from his fellow students.

I do not like Coach complaining about the poor play of the players when the staff is failing to prepare them to be competitive. 8 quarters with only 3 points says something about the people drawing up the plays and preparing the team to run those plays.

It could also say something about the level of talent on this team. It's both I suppose.

The telling thing will be if there are players violating team rules during the next two weeks leading up to Duke. That will tell us if the coaching staff still has this team or if they are off the reservation.

I'm convinced that the demise of the basketball program has affected the football program. Buzz is a cancer which has spread through the whole athletic department. A nationally ranked basketball team brought good publicity for the university and helped get Wake Forest into the living rooms of prospective student athletes. It's isnt "cool" to attend WFU right now like it used to be when the Joel was rocking. Prosser and Grobe had it going for a while. But those days are long gone .

LOL, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone blamed this on Bz, too.

After the spring game, I gave Grobe the benefit of doubt on the offense and his ability to coach. I read throughout August about the team coming together and how hard they practiced. Then I sat down in Alumni Stadium to see the Deacs take on the Eagles. Then the ULM loss. Hope returned after Clemson when he change the blocking scheme. The high point for the year was Gibsons TD. Since then it's been down hill. Mebanedeac, you are correct about the coaches. Bubble Boy hit the nail on the head about Grobe never mentioning the staff negatively.
He mentions the turnovers. Something the staff can't control. The "I would like to think that their not real happy about the way we played today" line is the last straw. Olsen turned that anger against the students. Maybe the students didn't want to be seen on camera at this game. Olsen probably regrets saying it, but after the last 3 weeks, a guy sticks a microphone in your face, and you take it out on someone. What if he went all Howard Beale and went after Grobe. He screwed up this season for the seniors. He hired these loser coaches. He's living off the rep of a season 7 years ago, when I (Olsen) was in the 10th grade! Then Grobe would blamed him for everything.

Last edited:
It could also say something about the level of talent on this team. It's both I suppose.

The telling thing will be if there are players violating team rules during the next two weeks leading up to Duke. That will tell us if the coaching staff still has this team or if they are off the reservation.

There is a clear imbalance of talent at WF between the offense and the defense. We have many more good players on defense. How did that happen? Who recruits these guys?

IF YOU LIKE YOUR COACHING STAFF....YOU CAN KEEP YOUR COACHING STAFF...

There is a clear imbalance of talent at WF between the offense and the defense. We have many more good players on defense. How did that happen? Who recruits these guys?

We know the answer to that. But this is the same group that gave us some great linemen. I just don't get it.

I think there is definitely some truth to that. Guys like CP3 and Timmy D haven't been embraced by [Redacted], it's almost like Wellman want to distance us from those days. I can't think of much that is less cool than having [Redacted] as your hoops coach.

I think it's that CP3 and Timmy haven't embraced Buzz. Wellman embraces CP3. We retired his jersey 8 months ago.

IF YOU LIKE YOUR COACHING STAFF....YOU CAN KEEP YOUR COACHING STAFF...

You'd get no argument from me if Obama made us change our coaching staff because didn't made the new standards.

Mike Olsen is who he is, which is a solid linebacker on a bad team. He didn't throw 6 interceptions today, and he doesn't get paid 2 million dollars a year to stand on the sidelines with a blank expression. Olsen plays his ass off every game and does his job, so in my book he's allowed to talk shit about our terrible student section. Football is definitely a team game, but the defense was the very least of our problems today.

Olsen's dad sits a couple rows behind me, and he was yelling at Grobe more than me. Kept saying "you gave up on them Jim." Didn't bother me to see a player's dad go off on Grobe, but first time I've heard it for a whole game.

Can we nationalize our athletics program? I want Alabama money. We are talking fairness here.

Olsen's dad sits a couple rows behind me, and he was yelling at Grobe more than me. Kept saying "you gave up on them Jim." Didn't bother me to see a player's dad go off on Grobe, but first time I've heard it for a whole game.

For such a "good guy" Jim sure does seem to piss off a lot of players' parents.

LOL, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone blamed this on Bz, too.

You can laugh all you want, but it's valid. If you don't think that Duke and Carolina's basketball success helps every other team at the school recruit, then you're out of touch. Wake is more of a national school when the basketball team is good, which it was for a couple decades before Buzz showed up. Giving a top 20 program to an old established loser like [Redacted] is malpractice of the highest kind by the A. D. Not surprising such a pathetic decision has lead the whole department south.

For such a "good guy" Jim sure does seem to piss off a lot of players' parents.

Not going to name the parents, but I heard some unflattering things in one corner of the blue lot today. Would love for someone to become a FULL TIME golfer 12/1/13.

Last edited:

Pot will be smoked

Not going to name the parents, but I heard some unflattering things in one corner of the blue lot today. Would love for someone to become a FULL TIME golfer 12/1/13.

Without naming names, what kinds of things?

Back