• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Olsen letting the students have it

"When your football team has more turnovers (7) than your basketball team (5) -- the same basketball team that had to get it going in the second half to beat Colgate of the Patriot League -- then you know the state of your athletics program is just a level or two lower than hunky dory."

Haha, i'm pleased with Dan's particular choice of words here. It might go unnoticed by many, but I thought that was a nice dig at our entire Athletic Dept, not just football: well done, Dan.

Oh Hell yes!

You can laugh all you want, but it's valid. If you don't think that Duke and Carolina's basketball success helps every other team at the school recruit, then you're out of touch. Wake is more of a national school when the basketball team is good, which it was for a couple decades before Buzz showed up. Giving a top 20 program to an old established loser like [Redacted] is malpractice of the highest kind by the A. D. Not surprising such a pathetic decision has lead the whole department south.

Yeah, that is why Duke has been so good in football the last 15 years or so ...

Buzz and Grobe suck independently of each other. Grobe has had success at WF. Buzz has not. Grobe has been allowed to fly under the radar because of the horrible basketball program and all the attention garnered there. Now that most everyone has given up on the hoops, the laser has landed on football and how bad it's gotten. All the while RW is running around smiling like a jackass eating briars. The answer is obvious- THEY ALL MUST GO!

Lol. Stupid students. How are we supposed to not lose by 56 points without the students there?

What a completely fucking stupid thing for a player to say after the last two performances.

If he thinks the students being in the stands would have made a difference, then the dumpster fire of a season Wake is having makes a lot more sense. The students were there for Va Tech two years ago with a better team and that didn't change a thing.

Buzz and Grobe suck independently of each other. Grobe has had success at WF. Buzz has not. Grobe has been allowed to fly under the radar because of the horrible basketball program and all the attention garnered there. Now that most everyone has given up on the hoops, the laser has landed on football and how bad it's gotten. All the while RW is running around smiling like a jackass eating briars. The answer is obvious- THEY ALL MUST GO!

Grobe is under the radar since Wake is historically one of the worst football programs in Div I (are we out of last place with the wost winning percentage all time yet?). Isn't Grobe tied right now with Pea Head Walker for all time wins at Wake? I know Pea Head Walker was way, way before my time.

Grobe is under the radar since Wake is historically one of the worst football programs in Div I (are we out of last place with the wost winning percentage all time yet?). Isn't Grobe tied right now with Pea Head Walker for all time wins at Wake? I know Pea Head Walker was way, way before my time.

Having the most wins at the losingest school in the nation isn't much to brag about. You can chalk up 90% of Grobe's success here to one recruiting class.

Welcome to Duke Lite, without the basketball.

Enjoy your existence Wake kids. Us townies who grew up on you will always remember when it was worth it.

Having the most wins at the losingest school in the nation isn't much to brag about. You can chalk up 90% of Grobe's success here to one recruiting class.

Exactly.

Well, it is bullshit. The team sucked today, but often so do our students. You have four years to enjoy this, blowout or not. Get to the fucking games.

Well, it is bullshit. The team sucked today, but often so do our students. You have four years to enjoy this, blowout or not. Get to the fucking games.

Yup. It almost seemed like the cameras didn't want to show that side of the stadium. It's just embarrassing any way you look at it. The whole damn ball of wax.

Holy shit, do you fucking morons have to bitch about this every year? It really is this simple:

Only diehard sports fans are going to go to games when we suck this badly.
When your student body only has 4,000 students, you have a LOT fewer diehard sports fans than most other schools.

That's why there aren't that many students there.

And for all the old farts who are going to respond with "We still got a ton of students to drive to Greensboro in the 80s when our basketball team was terrible!" Guess what? If you had been able to watch the game in high definition from your dorm room without having to drive anywhere, then the vast majority of the students wouldn't have made that trip

Javion said the same things on the radio after the game. Said Noel told him all they have is each other because the students don't support the team. If they don't want to come then great, it is their right. But what we need to do at this point is sell their tickets. (or give them away for all I care). Im sure there are some underprivileged youth groups around or charities that have plenty of people that would love the opportunity to come to a college football game but don't have 50 bucks to blow on a ticket. At least you wouldn't have 2 and half sections of empty seats every game. A lot of schools don't promise student tickets anymore anyway. (Of course then the students will whine that the school sold/gave away their tickets to people who don't even go to school there just to make money Blah, Blah , blah...) Tough. Do the same in basketball.

Holy shit, do you fucking morons have to bitch about this every year? It really is this simple:

Only diehard sports fans are going to go to games when we suck this badly.
When your student body only has 4,000 students, you have a LOT fewer diehard sports fans than most other schools.

That's why there aren't that many students there.

And for all the old farts who are going to respond with "We still got a ton of students to drive to Greensboro in the 80s when our basketball team was terrible!" Guess what? If you had been able to watch the game in high definition from your dorm room without having to drive anywhere, then the vast majority of the students wouldn't have made that trip

QFT.

I went to my share of blowouts during the Caldwell era but I can understand why most folks don't want to spend their time that way. Put out a pseudo-competitive product or STFU.

All I'm going to say on the matter, is that when things go well, students will show up. What is frustrating is that they will feel just as entitled to their free tickets that they don't use when we are down. I care a great deal that Wake Forest student athletes who busted their ass all day yesterday (and as crazy as it sounds, the defense played as admirable a game as I have ever seen) when they say they don't feel the support of their fellow students. It's telling about more than just our recent struggles, and to refuse to acknowledge that is naïve.

Back