• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Olsen letting the students have it

My understanding is that the smart kids at Stanford have historically better supported their team than our smart kids.

And their band is pretty awesome.

This isn't hard to comprehend. Look how few Florida fans were at the game yesterday. When your team sucks, people don't show up.

On that note, if Florida fires Muschamp, I would give 1.5 of my nuts to get him. Probably zero chance of that happening though.

I'm convinced that the demise of the basketball program has affected the football program. Buzz is a cancer which has spread through the whole athletic department. A nationally ranked basketball team brought good publicity for the university and helped get Wake Forest into the living rooms of prospective student athletes. It's isnt "cool" to attend WFU right now like it used to be when the Joel was rocking. Prosser and Grobe had it going for a while. But those days are long gone .

Agree. Good post.

This isn't hard to comprehend. Look how few Florida fans were at the game yesterday. When your team sucks, people don't show up.

On that note, if Florida fires Muschamp, I would give 1.5 of my nuts to get him. Probably zero chance of that happening though.

So you'd take a guy that has failed with Florida's resources, yeah I'd be foaming at the mouth to see what he'd do here.

Reactions: BDL
Wake's current goal isn't to recruit kids who care about going to Wake. It's to recruit kids who see Wake as an extension of the boarding/private school they already attended.

And that is being reflected on Saturdays

Wake's current goal isn't to recruit kids who care about going to Wake. It's to recruit kids who see Wake as an extension of the boarding/private school they already attended.

In your mind, what separates Wake from HPU then?

Prestige, history, rankings. HPU's goal is to be a Wake Lite. Kind of like Elon. While Wake's ambition is to mirror Duke.

All four could give two fucks about being in NC. They want to attract the best (testing) and the richest kids possible. It's all about money and prestige, community means nothing.

Actually I'll back off that a little because HPU and Elon are in such small towns that they have to be a big part of their community. However they could give two shuts about educating the local populace.

Baptist Medical Center and Duke Health System do a ton of stuff for the local communities

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ here we go with Brasky. What's the goal at UNCC? To recruit the dumbest fucking kids possible? Every elite university has the same goal: attract the best possible students.

I mean dude I don't really give a fuck, Wake can do what it wants. But the make up of Wake's student body has noticeably changed in the last 10 years, you cannot deny that. And those kids have little to no connection to the community or the brand of Wake Forest, and have no desire to stick around after graduation. Which is going to translate into low student attendance as well as low attendance in general.

I know I can't be the only local townie fan that feels increasingly jaded by the vibe coming from the university.

So when a majority of your students are apathetic, the local community feels disconnected, and most of your alumni move away don't be surprised when interest and attendance begin to dwindle.

It's happening right now, and its only going to get worse. Wake's future is probably that of a Davidson or maybe a Georgetown. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just a reality.

Last edited:
Prestige, history, rankings. HPU's goal is to be a Wake Lite. Kind of like Elon. While Wake's ambition is to mirror Duke.

All four could give two fucks about being in NC. They want to attract the best (testing) and the richest kids possible. It's all about money and prestige, community means nothing.

#noSAT

I mean dude I don't really give a fuck, Wake can do what it wants. But the make up of Wake's student body has noticeably changed in the last 10 years, you cannot deny that. And those kids have little to no connection to the community or the brand of Wake Forest, and have no desire to stick around after graduation. Which is going to translate into low student attendance as well as low attendance in general.

I know I can't be the only local townie fan that feels increasingly jaded by the vibe coming from the university.

So when a majority of your students are apathetic, the local community feels disconnected, and most of your alumni move away don't be surprised when interest and attendance begin to dwindle.

It's happening right now, and its only going to get worse. Wake's future is probably that of a Davidson or maybe a Georgetown. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just a reality.

Aw, come on Brasky. You don't really believe that, do you?

I do believe that more locals come to games when a team is winning. I mean, that's not rocket science. I don't think locals are staying away because of the makeup of our student body. That's just silly.

I don't know about all this nerd talk, but I know that if I lived close enough I'd go to football games because they are fun independent of the (usually miserable) outcome. On the other hand, I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a WFU basketball game, because they are not fun independent of the (always miserable) outcome. I'm sad about our football program. I'm between rage and apathy about our basketball program.

If it's fun, I'm in. If it's not, I'm out. I already have a job and plenty of chores. Just because WFU lets people pay $50K a year to hang out doesn't mean people have to be blind supporters of horrible athletics for life.

i dont want that nutjob anywhere near our program, or near me for that matter.

this is the most Duke fans I've ever seen at Wallace Wade. (normally half of the stadium is red for the state game, kindof like us)

this is the most Duke fans I've ever seen at Wallace Wade. (normally half of the stadium is red for the state game, kindof like us)
Wally World really makes me appreciate our stadium, just wish we'd start putting a better product on the field.

It's a miserable, terrible cycle...and it all starts with Ron Wellman.

If he fires Jim Grobe at the end of the season (which will not happen, BTW), Ron Wellman will have to hire another coach to replace him. I don't want that. Nobody wants that. Grobe needs to step down, no question, but if Wellman is still in charge, we might as well keep our current coach and ride this loser train until he retires or Wellman is fired/retires.

IF nothing is done, it appears to alumni/students/fans/players that no one cares about the state of the program, so everyone becomes apathetic- especially the players and students. If the AD doesn't give a damn about them, why should they? The coaches don't have to worry about losing because their boss is okay with it, so they (Jim) stand on the sidelines and kick rocks, we continue to lose and they make LOWF excuses...Students don't care- most of them could give a shit about athletics but they will show up if there is a decent product on the floor, we suck, they stop coming to the game...players see an empty student section, they hear the BS coming out of Ron's ass, they give up...townie fans want to see a winning product, they stop buying tickets and merchandise...alumni are pissed, contributions are down, ticket sales are down...and Ron Wellman sits atop his empire, smiling as it crumbles.

Fire Ron Wellman.

Back