• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Olsen letting the students have it

It seems that you don't understand that, actually

Also, you are the one who brought up stanford, so I thought you would have more information than just "they're a small school and their students go to games (even though their team is awesome right now and they just had a Heisman Trophy winner)"

If Stanford "just had a Heisman Trophy winner", then so did we, because neither school has ever won one.

I mean dude I don't really give a fuck, Wake can do what it wants. But the make up of Wake's student body has noticeably changed in the last 10 years, you cannot deny that. And those kids have little to no connection to the community or the brand of Wake Forest, and have no desire to stick around after graduation. Which is going to translate into low student attendance as well as low attendance in general.

I know I can't be the only local townie fan that feels increasingly jaded by the vibe coming from the university.

So when a majority of your students are apathetic, the local community feels disconnected, and most of your alumni move away don't be surprised when interest and attendance begin to dwindle.

It's happening right now, and its only going to get worse. Wake's future is probably that of a Davidson or maybe a Georgetown. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just a reality.

It pains me to agree, but you are right class of '61

I mean dude I don't really give a fuck, Wake can do what it wants. But the make up of Wake's student body has noticeably changed in the last 10 years, you cannot deny that. And those kids have little to no connection to the community or the brand of Wake Forest, and have no desire to stick around after graduation. Which is going to translate into low student attendance as well as low attendance in general.

I know I can't be the only local townie fan that feels increasingly jaded by the vibe coming from the university.

So when a majority of your students are apathetic, the local community feels disconnected, and most of your alumni move away don't be surprised when interest and attendance begin to dwindle.

It's happening right now, and its only going to get worse. Wake's future is probably that of a Davidson or maybe a Georgetown. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just a reality.

There is a ton of truth in this post. Wake is bordering on serious trouble if these behaviors continue.

BB, struck a chord. Good post!

My understanding is that the smart kids at Stanford have historically better supported their team than our smart kids.

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/10/28/bennett-smith-poor-crowd-attendance-at-stanford-athletic-events-is-inexcusable/

When I sat down to write this, I was mostly upset because I had just watched Stanford football slog through four quarters of a game that it should have dominated and escaped by the skin of its not-so-threatening teeth.
But I was one of a select few in Stanford Stadium on Saturday. The announced attendance was somewhere around 41,000, but I’d take a good guess that no more than 20,000 people walked through the gates at any point during the game.
Students, the Red Zone was pretty filled to start the game. Yay. But then it thinned, and thinned some more, just as Washington State started to come back and turn it into a pretty hectic final 15 minutes.

I was ashamed to sit in the press box and listen to the reporters all but openly mocking Stanford and its fans for an abysmal showing in the stands two weeks ago against Arizona. That game was supposed to be our Homecoming, and even if it was an early kickoff, how could we not have the stands at least three-quarters filled for what turned out to be a very exciting game that went to overtime?

My brother goes to Stanford and he's told me how incredibly easy it is to get good seats in the student section even though Stanford has been a top 10 team the three years he's been there. There's a large percentage of students at Stanford who don't even follow sports and couldn't care less about the team. Harbaugh frequently criticized fan support when he was at Stanford.

Even Duke hoops has student attendance issues.

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/10/28/bennett-smith-poor-crowd-attendance-at-stanford-athletic-events-is-inexcusable/

My brother goes to Stanford and he's told me how incredibly easy it is to get good seats in the student section even though Stanford has been a top 10 team the three years he's been there. There's a large percentage of students at Stanford who don't even follow sports and couldn't care less about the team. Harbaugh frequently criticized fan support when he was at Stanford.

While he won shit tons of games. Home field advantage matters so very little. Florida State would have bent us over on any field in the country. I have all the respect in the world for our defensive effort this year, offense is the weak link. But any time players or coaches start talking about fans they sound like giant pussies. Win some fucking games and you'll get some fans showing up and caring. Honestly with the effort the team gave Saturday, the fewer fans to witness that the better IMO.

seriously what do the players expect. down 50 points people will be cheering? or more likely cussing and yelling at them.

There is a ton of truth in this post. Wake is bordering on serious trouble if these behaviors continue.

Serious trouble of what? Raising the academic profile of our school? I don't view that as a problem.

But then I'm a non-NCer who moved away immediately post-graduation so I guess, in from an athletics restricted POV, I'm a problem.

Serious trouble of what? Raising the academic profile of our school? I don't view that as a problem.

But then I'm a non-NCer who moved away immediately post-graduation so I guess, in from an athletics restricted POV, I'm a problem.

No, you're not a problem. I think what Brasky is saying is you can't fill your college full of out-of-towners AND suck at sports and expect locals to show up to games.

If this isn't what you were saying, my apologies Brasky.

No, you're not a problem. I think what Brasky is saying is you can't fill your college full of out-of-towners AND suck at sports and expect locals to show up to games.

If this isn't what you were saying, my apologies Brasky.

He didn't mention athletic performance in that post at all.

This football program is a disaster. Since going 5-7 Skinner's senior year, which Grobe should have been fired for, the football program has been in free fall. Yesterday may have been rock bottom. There is no life in the program at this point. There is no talent on the field. The players are overwhelmed by their circumstances. Grobe is asleep at the wheel. Nobody goes to games. There is simply no energy. As all of this goes on, recruits will turn away from WF left and right. Grobe has to go to try to breathe some life in the football program. Wake can do better than what is going on right now. They can't do it with an old coach who would rather be running the triple option in 2013.

I don't follow the Georgetown reference - I think we'd all take their basketball program in a heartbeat.

And, yeah, I'm obviously not actually a problem. I care more about Wake sports than the vast majority of Wake alums, whether they are from NC or not. If we were any good I would probably even go to more games than most alums even though I'm over 1000 miles away. It's all performance driven. I love Wake sports because we were damn good at basketball my freshmen year.

If you take a sports inclined student from the midwest, and Wake is good at sports then he will quickly adopt Wake as his team. If Wake is bad at sports, then he'll continue rooting for Ohio State, Indiana, or whoever his pre-college team was. The same logic actually applies to in-staters as well. Wake is more likely to be their pre-college team, but are many Wake students from NC grew up in Duke or UNC houses, and, during this historic down period, many of them continue to root for those teams over Wake.

There are two things guaranteed to increase attendance: 1) Increase enrollment. 2) Be better at sports.

This football program is a disaster. Since going 5-7 Skinner's senior year, which Grobe should have been fired for, the football program has been in free fall. Yesterday may have been rock bottom. There is no life in the program at this point. There is no talent on the field. The players are overwhelmed by their circumstances. Grobe is asleep at the wheel. Nobody goes to games. There is simply no energy. As all of this goes on, recruits will turn away from WF left and right. Grobe has to go to try to breathe some life in the football program. Wake can do better than what is going on right now. They can't do it with an old coach who would rather be running the triple option in 2013.

Grobe gives total control to his assistants, which on the offensive side of the ball is terrible as a whole. When asked about who might start at QB against Duke, he said "it's entirely up to Tommy (Elrod)." I honestly don't know what decisions he makes anymore, because he always mentions how it's up to the position coaches who plays and we know he isn't giving much input on play calling.

Grobe gives total control to his assistants, which on the offensive side of the ball is terrible as a whole. When asked about who might start at QB against Duke, he said "it's entirely up to Tommy (Elrod)." I honestly don't know what decisions he makes anymore, because he always mentions how it's up to the position coaches who plays and we know he isn't giving much input on play calling.

Please tell me he didnt say this to the press.

Back