• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim WFU Law Student Writes...

The hatred and bigtory that is ongoing in Mufreesboro, TN is a perfect example. The Muslim community center had been there for over thirty years with zero incidents. Now they'd like live the American dream and exapnd their building like every other religious group in America would.

They legally bought land. They got the permits like anyone else would. Then their site was firebombed. When CBS was an interview there, shots were fired. There is a lawsuit with one of the main points being that Islam is not a religion.

I've not seen the outrage about the evil people who are attacking freedom of religion of honest, hardworking, innnocent and peaceful Muslims.

There is no excuse and there is no defense for the so called "Christians" who are denying freedom of religion to other Americans in TN and other places.

The hatred and bigtory that is ongoing in Mufreesboro, TN is a perfect example. The Muslim community center had been there for over thirty years with zero incidents. Now they'd like live the American dream and exapnd their building like every other religious group in America would.

They legally bought land. They got the permits like anyone else would. Then their site was firebombed. When CBS was an interview there, shots were fired. There is a lawsuit with one of the main points being that Islam is not a religion.

I've not seen the outrage about the evil people who are attacking freedom of religion of honest, hardworking, innnocent and peaceful Muslims.

There is no excuse and there is no defense for the so called "Christians" who are denying freedom of religion to other Americans in TN and other places.

There is nothing "holier than thou", or "condescending" about this. There is nothing more American than freedom of religion.

Lectro has marched his argument to the edge of a cliff and is trying desperately to save it at this point. The column he is so vehemently trying to paint as some liberal anti-American rant is nothing of the sort. It's a condemnation solely of OBL and terror, but because it describes the American reaction and its effect on him in stark, grim terms Lectro immediately rejects it.

I think the attitude of Muslims towards terrorism is complex and diverse. Ranges the whole spectrum, I'm pretty sure. Even in the U.S.

Point still is that it's reasonable and right (IMO) to try and appreciate that many U.S. Muslims are victims of the actual terrorists in ways that us non-Arab/Muslim folks aren't. To do this doesn't mean that we have to have our blinders on...

Lectro has marched his argument to the edge of a cliff and is trying desperately to save it at this point. The column he is so vehemently trying to paint as some liberal anti-American rant is nothing of the sort. It's a condemnation solely of OBL and terror, but because it describes the American reaction and its effect on him in stark, grim terms Lectro immediately rejects it.

No, more truthful to say that I marched many of you to the edge of reality but it proved too difficult to deal with. Better you remain in your cloistered environment where the arguments are clear-cut and lack the ambiguity the actual planet is fraught with.

No, more truthful to say that I marched many of you to the edge of reality but it proved too difficult to deal with. Better you remain in your cloistered environment where the arguments are clear-cut and lack the ambiguity the actual planet is fraught with.

You're being disingenuous about this topic. Just answer these 2 questions:

Do you believe that hate crimes against innocent American Muslims are justified because of 9/11?

Do you believe that American Muslims deserve the right to complain about the prejudice they have faced due to 9/11?

You're being disingenuous about this topic. Just answer these 2 questions:

Do you believe that hate crimes against innocent American Muslims are justified because of 9/11?

Do you believe that American Muslims deserve the right to complain about the prejudice they have faced due to 9/11?

Look pal, I'm not on trial here.

I am trying to say that in the vast scope of things this guys "suffering" (if you can call it that) is MINISCULE.

Its nit-picking...among my morning coffee crew we have 4 muslims and a coptic christian from Egypt. Neither Samir, Dowda (Senegal), Sammy (Egypt), Yusef(Syria) or Mahomet (Yemen) have experienced anything like what the author experienced. Not saying he didn't experience discomfort but to try and expand his discomfort over all other Muslims in America is BS.

It would be much more responsible and instructive were we to focus on the overwhelming tolerance of the American people but the "news' does not operate on that premise.

To say that many innocent Muslims in the US haven't been and aren't being unfairly treated is sunglasses on at midnight.

Just look at the nuimnber of mosques that that been burned down or not allowed to be built.

"Sunglasses at midnight" What are you babbling about?

List the number of mosques burned in North America over the last ten years and then list the number of coptic churches torched in the last 3 months in the Middle East.

Yea, yea, tell me how the entire populace of Murfreesboro, Tennessee hates all Muslims and therefore is a good barometer for the rest of the U.S. ... sure, sure, sure.

Lectro - do you have a point or are you just rattling off bad things that some Muslims do?

What kind of pedigree of anti-extremist action/rhetoric does this kid have to have before he can write a piece like this, in your opinion? Jeez man, a lot of bad shit happened that involved people of his religion, none of which he participated in, and you are raking him over the coals for blaming the leader and pointing out how it fucked his life up. wtf?

Even the LT. Gov of TN said Islam is not a religion, but that's nothing beucase you know five guys who haven't anything bad hpapen to them:

At a public meeting with voters in Chattanooga, Tennessee on July 14, 2010, gubernatorial candidate and current Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey responded to voters who seek to oppose a planned expansion of an Islamic mosque in Murfreesboro.

At the July 14, 2010 Chattanooga meeting, Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey was asked by a voter (video 3:10) about a “national threat”… of “a threat that has been invading our country from Muslims, what’s your stance?”

Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey replied by referring to the situation in Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, “what happened is that they are trying to put a mosque into Rutherford County, I don’t know if you know this or not… now this mosque started coming up there… I have been trying to learn what is going on – it is not good, I will tell you that.” “Now, you could even argue whether that being a Muslim is actually a religion, or is it a nationality, way of life, cult or whatever you want to call it…”

When asked his views on the planned Murfreesboro, TN mosque facility, gubernatorial candidate Ron Ramsey, replied “You could even argue whether that being a Muslim is actually a religion, or is it a nationality, way of life, cult or whatever you want to call it?”

The voter continues to state to the Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey that “I think the number is 22 communities so far that have been established in the United States under Sharia law and it is expanding rapidly.”

Gubernatorial candidate and current Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey responded by stating “in Tennessee, when I am governor, we oughta pass a resolution, a law, whatever it takes…”

YouTube Video of Gubernatorial Candidate and Current Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey
- discussion begins at 3:10

Also on July 14, 2010, a march of hundreds of individuals opposed to the mosque turned out in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, as Responsible for Equality And Liberty has previously reported.

Her are a couple more:
In some cases, the conflicts are similar to those that for decades have pitted residents against expansion plans by large churches. Neighbors in communities from New Jersey to Arizona have protested Muslim groups' proposals for mosques by raising classic "not-in-my-backyard" arguments that have focused on the sizes of planned buildings, parking, lighting and other factors that can affect property values. (Related photo gallery: The mosque next door)

But the debates over mosques in several U.S. cities during the past two years occasionally have led to name-calling and allegations of bigotry — a reflection of some residents' mistrust of Muslims since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks by radical Muslims. (Related story: Texas mosque vandalized)

A small mosque in Marietta, Ga., has held open houses to get to know its neighbors since its plan for a new mosque was rejected. For seven years, the mosque has operated out of a house, says Amjad Taufique, one of the mosque trustees. In December 2002, the trustees went before the local zoning board to seek a variance for a new mosque with 70-feet minaret. Taufique figured it wouldn't be an issue because local churches have steeples that tall.

The board denied the request by a 5-2 vote. Board member W.O. Wilkerson, who voted to approve the mosque, says that "it was voted against purely because they were Muslims. The neighbors ... said they didn't want Muslims in the neighborhood. ... If we're going to talk about having a country of laws, we better live by that."

Board Chairman James Mills says he voted against the plan because the group had not adequately explained what it planned to do. Neighbors "were reacting because of the lack of communication," Mills says. "It had nothing to do with them being Muslim."

But Taufique says that at the public hearing, "people yelled and screamed and went ... totally out of control. ... People were really concerned about who we are and what we were doing in the neighborhood. They were scared."

There are many, many more

Her are a couple more:
In some cases, the conflicts are similar to those that for decades have pitted residents against expansion plans by large churches. Neighbors in communities from New Jersey to Arizona have protested Muslim groups' proposals for mosques by raising classic "not-in-my-backyard" arguments that have focused on the sizes of planned buildings, parking, lighting and other factors that can affect property values. (Related photo gallery: The mosque next door)

But the debates over mosques in several U.S. cities during the past two years occasionally have led to name-calling and allegations of bigotry — a reflection of some residents' mistrust of Muslims since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks by radical Muslims. (Related story: Texas mosque vandalized)

A small mosque in Marietta, Ga., has held open houses to get to know its neighbors since its plan for a new mosque was rejected. For seven years, the mosque has operated out of a house, says Amjad Taufique, one of the mosque trustees. In December 2002, the trustees went before the local zoning board to seek a variance for a new mosque with 70-feet minaret. Taufique figured it wouldn't be an issue because local churches have steeples that tall.

The board denied the request by a 5-2 vote. Board member W.O. Wilkerson, who voted to approve the mosque, says that "it was voted against purely because they were Muslims. The neighbors ... said they didn't want Muslims in the neighborhood. ... If we're going to talk about having a country of laws, we better live by that."

Board Chairman James Mills says he voted against the plan because the group had not adequately explained what it planned to do. Neighbors "were reacting because of the lack of communication," Mills says. "It had nothing to do with them being Muslim."

But Taufique says that at the public hearing, "people yelled and screamed and went ... totally out of control. ... People were really concerned about who we are and what we were doing in the neighborhood. They were scared."

There are many, many more

RJ,

You left this one out:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/14/pakistani.taliban/index.html?hpt=T2

There are many, many more.

jhmd -- Please provide links showing how many, many US imams have been convicted (not just arrested and charged) for these links.

jhmd -- Please provide links showing how many, many US imams have been convicted (not just arrested and charged) for these links.

Of course you're intentionally construing my post narrowly; you know that, and it's as unpersuasive as it is obnoxious. The point remains: as long as a statistically significant number of Islamic extremists are involved in illegal violence against unarmed civilian Western targets, those acts----perpetrated in the name of their faith----are going to reflect poorly on that faith. It's not right, it's not fair,....but it's real effing world stuff. Sorry to drag you kicking and screaming into it.

No one ever says that they speak for anything close to even a blip of the whole; but bad apples spoil bunches in every walk of life. If the silent majority want it to stop, I suggest they spend their time outting the Hassan's before they shoot the place up, rather than bitching about funny looks they get. The hypersensitive crowd may simply be too nuanced and enlightened to be able to choose between hurt feelings and preventing/deterring the slaughter of innocents, but John Stuart Mill's been picking up your intellectual slack for centuries. Thank him later.

jhmd, from your statistical expertise, what is a "statistically significant number of Islamic extremists are involved in illegal violence against unarmed civilian Western targets" out of 1.6 billion people?

Back