• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA APR scores released today, Wake basketball last in ACC

Well, I once took pride in Wake's challenging academic environment mixed with athletic excellence. Now, all I have is gas!

Subject title was same as thread. My email said:

"Winning with integrity! Check's in the mail, fellas!

NOT"

Ron:

Ryan-

Yes, the APR's were not good last year for reasons that have been well publicized. You will be glad to know that this year's APR is a perfect 1000 which will obviously be #1 in the ACC and the country. These results will be released by the NCAA a year from now. Winning with integrity will always be our highest priority.

Go Deacs!"

Yeah, publicized by a billboard and some newspaper ads.

Based on what I see from the NCAA, the four year window is from 2008-2012 (so basically James Johnson sophomore year-the year before this one).

I'm working on an article for BSD that looks into why/how we are at 942. Last year we were at 939, so we trended up (ever so slightly). It's difficult to know who exactly was penalized for leaving and who wasn't. The NCAA says that they do not penalize for transfers leaving in good standing. We can all assume who we think transferred in good standing/left for the NBA in good standing, but that's hard to do.

Here is a list of people that went pro/transferred during the NCAA's 4 year period they are using:

James Johnson ('09)
Jeff Teague ('10)
Al-Farouq Aminu ('10)
Konnor Tucker ('10)
Tony Woods ('11)
JT Terrell ('12)
Ari Stewart ('12)
Melvin Tabb ('12)

Did I miss anybody (I'm sure I did one or two)? I know everybody wants to point the finger at Jeff [Redacted] here, but with the 4 year snapshot they are using, we are still being punished for the earlier people leaving, assuming they are the ones in bad standing, which once again is hard to say.

It seems highly unlikely that our APR will be 1000. That would assume that all over Woods, JTT, Stewart, Tabb, Desrosiers, Fields, and Chennault were in good academic standing when they left.

I'm guessing that he misunderstands how the APR is calculated, unless he really is stating that this past year's APR will be 1000, which it could be because that would require only Chase leaving in good academic standing. The four year period will reflect my first paragraph.

I think he meant for this year only. So not our 4 year rolling APR.

He is saying the entire basketball team for the 2012-2013 academic year earned 2 points both semesters.

ETA: True that will not be released so we'd have to take Ron's word for it, but the APR would likely see a large bump.

I'm sure that RW puts all of this on Dino as only Dino/Skip "recruits" have been in a position to graduate so far. To the extent the WF Athletic Department makes any statement regarding the APR, this will be used to justify the culture change.

FWIW, as along as WF is above the NCAA threshold, the APR rating means little. For example, if 5 years from now, WF has the top ACC APR, but continues to scrape along the bottom of the ACC, would it matter?

I know everyone looks to jump on Bz for everything, but this is piling on. Just don't see WF APR as the best ground to look to hammer Bz.

It's harder for Wellman to speak from his high horse with bottom of the ACC APR going into Year 4 of Bz.

It's harder for Wellman to speak from his high horse with bottom of the ACC APR going into Year 4 of Bz.

Right, but the years that are being looked at are two years of Gaudio and two years of [Redacted]. I'm nearly positive that if we had to attribute primary blame here it is more on Gaudio's tenure as opposed to Jeff [Redacted]'s.

This assumes that Wellman gives a shit. It is pretty clear he does not.

He is saying the entire basketball team for the 2012-2013 academic year earned 2 points both semesters.

ETA: True that will not be released so we'd have to take Ron's word for it, but the APR would likely see a large bump.

You take Ron's word, I am just going to assume he's lying.

This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back so I'm conflicted.

I would love to audit the basis for Clemson's APR score in football.

We win with integrity at Clemson. We value academics over athletic results, as does the majority of the ACC, save Wake Forest of course. You may be winning, but just realize you're doing it the wrong way...

Right, but the years that are being looked at are two years of Gaudio and two years of [Redacted]. I'm nearly positive that if we had to attribute primary blame here it is more on Gaudio's tenure as opposed to Jeff [Redacted]'s.

Two years of each. Both had plenty of players who didn't graduate from Wake. How can you be sure?

Two years of each. Both had plenty of players who didn't graduate from Wake. How can you be sure?

Well unless if I'm misunderstanding the way they calculate it, the players "dropped" were Jamie Skeen and Cameron Stanley, while we added JTT, Tabb and Stewart. That means we improved by 3 points with those three moving into the four years for us as transfers/dismissals/withdrawals.

I'm not sure of it because there are many different variables, but we are still feeling the departures of the three that went pro in our bottom line in addition to the transfers.

It will almost certainly go up next year as well since we do not lose anybody this year.

Well unless if I'm misunderstanding the way they calculate it, the players "dropped" were Jamie Skeen and Cameron Stanley, while we added JTT, Tabb and Stewart. That means we improved by 3 points with those three moving into the four years for us as transfers/dismissals/withdrawals.

I'm not sure of it because there are many different variables, but we are still feeling the departures of the three that went pro in our bottom line in addition to the transfers.

It will almost certainly go up next year as well since we do not lose anybody this year.

Only if they weren't in good academic standing. So maybe one of them.

Back