• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA APR scores released today, Wake basketball last in ACC

Only if they weren't in good academic standing. So maybe one of them.

Right. It's hard to know how many scholarship players exactly we are dealing with over the 4 year span, but it's probably somewhere around 50-55. I'm not sure one player could bring it down that much. It's more likely 3-4 players that bring the total score down.

Players going pro early wouldn't effect APR at all unless they were already doing poorly while they were here. Same with transfers. The ones that hurt us the most were probably Tony and JTT because they started a semester and then left school, which means we probably got a 0 out of 2 for both of them in those semesters.

Players going pro early wouldn't effect APR at all unless they were already doing poorly while they were here. Same with transfers. The ones that hurt us the most were probably Tony and JTT because they started a semester and then left school, which means we probably got a 0 out of 2 for both of them in those semesters.

Yes, I understand that. It was just assumed in my post (obviously dumbly so) that it was understood only those in bad standing. I know normally transferring players or those who go pro who are in good standing don't hurt us at all.

This APR "score" means nothing for Bzz. Its just a random 4 year period where we were transitioning through multiple head coaches and had numerous transfers. As much as I hate the guy, I sincerely doubt his players have the worst grades in the ACC.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team awards the full complement of 85 grants-in-aid. If 80 student-athletes remain in school and academically eligible, three remain in school but are academically ineligible and two drop out academically ineligible, the team earns 163 of 170 possible points for that term. Divide 163 by 170 and multiply by 1,000 to determine that the team’s Academic Progress Rate for that term is 959.

The NCAA calculates the rate as a rolling, four-year figure that takes into account all the points student-athletes could earn for remaining in school and academically eligible during that period. Teams that do not earn an Academic Progress Rate above specific benchmarks face penalties ranging from scholarship reductions to more severe sanctions.

I believe WF 's APR score of 970 in football puts WF in the top 25 of FCS programs. I am more concerned about the W-L record, but maybe that is just me.

Every time we think we have hit the rock-bottom, the floor gets lower and the ceiling higher. What's next?

I believe WF 's APR score of 970 in football puts WF in the top 25 of FCS programs. I am more concerned about the W-L record, but maybe that is just me.

FCS or FBS?

I'd like for us to be in the top 25 of the APR and AP.

We can do both. Doing one isn't an excuse for not doing the other.

We definitely don't have to be last at both.

Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2004 - 2005 978
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2005 - 2006 986
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2006 - 2007 974
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2007 - 2008 963
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2008 - 2009 959
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2009 - 2010 953
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2010 - 2011 939
Men's Basketball Wake Forest University NC 2011 - 2012 942

Football Wake Forest University NC 2004 - 2005 970
Football Wake Forest University NC 2005 - 2006 966
Football Wake Forest University NC 2006 - 2007 964
Football Wake Forest University NC 2007 - 2008 966
Football Wake Forest University NC 2008 - 2009 966
Football Wake Forest University NC 2009 - 2010 971
Football Wake Forest University NC 2010 - 2011 973
Football Wake Forest University NC 2011 - 2012 970

Consistency is the name of the game with Grobe.

We can chalk some of the decline to Dino's recruits under Buzz, but he was still coach. He still has an obligation to be a mentor to these kids and if they get pissed off at him for some reason and their coursework suffers, then he shares some of the blame. If some of them have some homesick or personal issues (maybe Tony C. did?), then it's not really fair to blame either Buzz or Dino.

Just to recap, Wake Forest sucks in pretty much every sport, our players are not performing well academically, and we just hired a guy who was punished by the SEC for cooking the books at Krispy Kreme. Did I miss anything?

SEC, SEC, SEC... oh wait

Wellman weighed in with an email. I'm on my phone. Somebody will post it soon.

Dear Demon Deacon,

The NCAA released the APR (Academic Progress Rate) for the 2011-12 academic year this week. The APR is a measurement used to determine the academic performance of the teams at every institution. The APR is a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete on every team. A point is awarded each semester if the student-athlete is eligible and another point for returning to the program. Therefore, each athlete can earn two points each semester and four points for the year. A perfect team APR would be 1000. The NCAA publishes the four-year rolling average APR for each team.

Once again, our teams performed well. Our teams' four-year APR's are:

Baseball 995

Basketball (Men) 942

Basketball (Women) 1000

Cross Country (Men) 993

Cross Country (Women) 990

Field Hockey 989

Football 970

Golf (Men) 985

Golf (Women) 1000

Soccer (Men) 993

Soccer (Women) 986

Tennis (Men) 961

Tennis (Women) 984

Track & Field (Men) 990

Track & Field (Women) 989

Volleyball 1000

Our baseball, volleyball, women's basketball and women's golf all are ranked #1 in the ACC. Men's soccer is #2 in the ACC and field hockey, men's track and field and women's track and field are #3 in the ACC.

Unfortunately, the men's basketball four-year APR has declined to 942 which is still in the safe zone in terms of penalties (teams are not penalized unless they dip below 900) being inflicted upon the program but not where we want or expect our APR to be. The factor that has caused the decline is the number of players who have departed from our program. As a result of their departure, they did not earn the retention point. Losing just one point on a small team affects the APR significantly so the multiple retention points lost is the major reason for the current APR for our team.

While the lower APR for men's basketball was anticipated due to the departing players, we will see a dramatic improvement next year as this year's team performed exceptionally well in the classroom. In fact, the team would have a perfect 1000 for the year if the data were submitted today. Obviously, the 2012-13 academic performance will improve our future four-year APR significantly.

Jane Caldwell, who is our Associate Director of Athletics for Student Services and the academic counselor for the basketball team, describes the men's basketball team's academic performance this year as the best she has ever witnessed by our basketball team. She bases her opinion on the following facts:

The team GPA of 2.893 for the year is the highest ever achieved by our team since we began recording team GPA's in 1988-89.
The team's spring semester GPA of 2.946 is the highest recorded for our team in 24 years since such records have been kept.
The basketball team achieved the men's most improved GPA from the fall semester to the spring semester (2.573 to 2.946)
The basketball team's GPA is the third highest for men's sports which is the best ranking ever recorded for men's basketball.
The young men we have in our program are dedicated students and athletes. The results of their hard work and commitment to excellence will continue to be evident in the classroom and basketball court. We have found that there is a high correlation between outstanding academic performance and athletic performance. Our basketball players are off to a great start academically which will prove to be a major factor in their basketball performance.
I trust that your summer is off to a good start and that we will see you often at our athletic events in the fall.

Go Deacs!

Based on the above data, could someone "fact check" the following?: We have found that there is a high correlation between outstanding academic performance and athletic performance.

I am interested in the "high correlation" that the athletic department has found -- based on the above, this can be easily refuted or confirmed with regards to Men's basketball.

Back